RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Good Article on Lyme Vaccine

4K views 24 replies 14 participants last post by  JusticeDog 
#1 ·
#2 ·
Even better article (American College of Veterinary Internal Medicine):

http://www.cvm.ncsu.edu/vhc/documents/LymeconsstmtACVIM.pdf

of interest....most of the diplomates of the ACVIM do not vaccinate for Lyme.
There is evidence that Lyme positive dogs should not be vaccinated.
There is concern that the Lyme vaccination itself may cause Lyme Nephropathy

#9 ·
Even better article (American College of Veterinary Internal Medicine):

http://www.cvm.ncsu.edu/vhc/documents/LymeconsstmtACVIM.pdf

of interest....most of the diplomates of the ACVIM do not vaccinate for Lyme.
There is evidence that Lyme positive dogs should not be vaccinated.
There is concern that the Lyme vaccination itself may cause Lyme Nephropathy
There is not as much risk with the newer vaccines. Don't buy them from the supply house, and make sure your vet is using the new vaccines that are out.

There are also tests that will differentiate between active disease, exposure and vaccination levels. While none of the tests are perfect, it is better than nothing.

#3 · (Edited)
Of note: This year's National Amateur Retriever Championship is going to be held in one of the "hot spots" for Lyme disease.

From the first article: "...in Western and Northwestern parts of Wisconsin infection occurs in 60 to 90% of all dogs. In those areas, vaccination is of benefit in reducing clinical disease. ..."
Pink Text Line Organism Map

Everyone going there should at least treat with Advantix II or the like.

Perhaps Jack Unbehaun (junbe) can tell us his experience with Lyme in western Wisconsin. Ann Heise must know the stories from that region, too. When I used to belong to Blackhawk RC, I used to put pyrethrin spray on the dogs as soon as I got there. I still use it on my boots and pant legs around here. It's not Spring in Iowa unless you pick off a few ticks...

==

I have vaccinated my dogs for Lyme (and Lepto) annually for years. We live on the edge of an area of high incidence of Lyme and I travel a lot with my dogs. My vet didn't used to carry the Lepto combination vaccine because it's not very common here and Dachunds are sensitive to it, so I did it myself in consultation with him. This year he had it and I got the shots there. (He has been giving the Lyme because I couldn't get the recombitec vaccine.)

I also got the human vaccine over a decade ago when it was available. Last summer my wife and I got a rash that looked like Lyme and my physician treated me immediately. My wife's didn't treat her because she is sensitive to doxycycline. My test came back positive, hers negative (and my positive could have been my vaccination, I suppose.)

Right now my daughter has symptoms that might be Lyme's. It's very serious if it's not treated soon...

==

So consult with your vet (or physician). Advice like "trimming your lawn" isn't going to help field trial/hunting dogs...

Good luck avoiding all the tick-borne diseases!

#4 · (Edited)
Of note: This year's National Amateur Retriever Championship is going to be held in one of the "hot spots" for Lyme disease.

From the first article: "...in Western and Northwestern parts of Wisconsin infection occurs in 60 to 90% of all dogs. In those areas, vaccination is of benefit in reducing clinical disease. ..."
View attachment 13334
Everyone going there should at least treat with Advantix II or the like.

Perhaps Jack Unbehaun (junbe) can tell us his experience with Lyme in western Wisconsin. Ann Heise must know the stories from that region, too. When I used to belong to Blackhawk RC, I used to put pyrethrin spray on the dogs as soon as I got there. I still use it on my boots and pant legs around here. It's not Spring in Iowa unless you pick off a few ticks...

==

I have vaccinated my dogs for Lyme (and Lepto) annually for years. We live on the edge of an area of high incidence of Lyme and I travel a lot with my dogs. My vet didn't used to carry the Lepto combination vaccine because it's not very common here and Dachunds are sensitive to it, so I did it myself in consultation with him. This year he had it and I got the shots there. (He has been giving the Lyme because I couldn't get the recombitec vaccine.)

I also got the human vaccine over a decade ago when it was available. Last summer my wife and I got a rash that looked like Lyme and my physician treated me immediately. My wife's didn't treat her because she is sensitive to doxycycline. My test came back positive, hers negative (and my positive could have been my vaccination, I suppose.)

Right now my daughter has symptoms that might be Lyme's. It's very serious if it's not treated soon...

==

So consult with your vet (or physician). Advice like "trimming your lawn" isn't going to help field trial/hunting dogs...

Good luck avoiding all the tick-borne diseases!
You are misreading the article...infection rates don't translate into disease. It is the same where I live and only about 3% of those infected actually get sick. You really shoudn't vaccinate a dog that has already tested positive, ie been "infected".

#8 ·
In the northeast approx 85 percent of dogs are tested positive for exposure but only a small percent of those actually test positive for infection. So much controversy regarding vaccinating. As I live and tran in Lyme central I vaccinate all my dogs yearly for Lyme. All of my dogs have tested positive on the SNAP test, but only one was truly infected and it played hell with him. I have given up on frontline and advantix as they simply don't work here. For the past 3 years I have used Scalibor collars on my dogs and have not had to pick off a single tick. I hear there is some controversy about using it on intact breeding males due to some tests that were done with mice, but I did not see a problem with my male regards that.

Dawn

#12 ·
I use the spray on my boots, pants and around the dogs legs. Found it to be helpful! Have to keep applying if you are working in water. I do have a collar which I am going to have to remember to put it on. I really do think these help! IMO

#15 ·
I live in NW WI, (about 2.5 hours north of where the Nat Am will be held). Lots of ticks, lots of Lyme and other TBD. I use Frontline and apply it every 3 weeks. I don't keep my dogs out of water, but, I do apply in the evening after last airing so they don't jump in the pool, etc. I don't find many attached ticks on the dogs, very few, especially in comparison to how many I find on myself, in my vehicle, and in the house.

When it is heavy tick season, as well as a fresh hatch of flies or skeeters, I'll spray the dogs with a pyrethrin-based fly spray (unless contra-indicated) before heading into the field. I go over the dogs when we come in the house. I don't like chemicals on the dogs particularly, but, I don't like them dying of kidney failure or incurring joint damage or any of the other host of problems caused by TBD. Lesser of two evils, I guess.

I also do two courses a year of doxycycline because I don't believe anything will prevent ticks 100%. I don't vaccinate for Lyme because I personally question it's usefulness, but, I'm not a vet, just my personal opinion and my "protocol" is working for me. I've been pretty fortunate, overall, as far as TBD in my dogs to date, considering where we live and what we do. When I worked for the vet, TBD-symptomatic dogs were pretty much a daily occurrence in season.

There's no reason to panic or freak about ticks, but, be informed and smart about prevention and checking the dogs for ticks, be alert for dogs being "off" in any way and be proactive if they do get sick. Summer's too darned short not to be outside enjoying every minute of it!

#17 ·
Kim,

What spray are you using?

Sue Puff

#18 ·
Farnam Repel-x, labeled for horses & dogs. I don't spray their faces or use it on puppies or pregnant bitches.

#19 ·
I use Adams Flea and Tick spray . It repels great

#24 ·
I received the following privately, and am passing it along with permission because I was wrong and I want to correct it:

Your information is disputable. Antibodies are not generic, they are specific. The newer lymes vaccines are to the outer surface proteins and not to the organism itself, making them safer. http://www.duramunelyme.com/
These vaccines were not around until the last 2 years. It is LymeVax by Fort Dodge that is harmful because of what the antibodies are produced against.

also here's some other information that was shared with me:

http://www.jarvm.com/articles/Vol8Iss3/Vol8 Iss3Levy.pdf

#25 ·
I received the following privately, and am passing it along with permission because I was wrong and I want to correct it:

Your information is disputable. Antibodies are not generic, they are specific. The newer lymes vaccines are to the outer surface proteins and not to the organism itself, making them safer. http://www.duramunelyme.com/
These vaccines were not around until the last 2 years. It is LymeVax by Fort Dodge that is harmful because of what the antibodies are produced against.

also here's some other information that was shared with me:

http://www.jarvm.com/articles/Vol8Iss3/Vol8%20Iss3Levy.pdf
good of you to post this Barb. I still don't think Lyme vaccines are for everyone- Although my active trial dogs certainly get the Lyme vaccine- Since they are always in a high incidence area. Anyone who lives in an area with a high incidence of Lyme disease should speak to their veterinarian on an individual basis to make this decision. Course, I think this is true of all vaccines. Except rabies, which is required by law.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.