Votes: 27 9.9%
  • Weatherby

Votes: 2 0.7%
  • Winchester

Votes: 24 8.8%

Poll on *Hunting* Shotgun(Semi-Auto)*Advice

29K views 116 replies 65 participants last post by  Rich Martin 
#1 · (Edited)
Most folks who know me know that I'm no slouch when it comes to researching and decision making when it comes to making firearm purchases. I'm not a big fan of buyers remorse.

So like a lot of folks too I've grown up under the Remington(American Made) Label and have been faithful to it for the most part. I've got a Rem. 870 Express 20ga. that my Ol'Man got me when they first came out. It's been flawless through it's almost 20 years and 8k+ Shells later.
However it seems clear that besides the 870 & 1100 all other Rem. Shotguns(Recently) have and are suffering from severe LACK of Quality Control.

Being in the business of finding my FIRST 12 Ga. Semi-Auto Hunting Shotgun, naturally my first thoughts were towards Remington.
.....and onto the VersaMax. Yes I have read the ENTIRE 92 page(1836 posts) Epic VersaMax Topic on ShotgunWorld.com.

I've read many of the complaints and praises about the VersaMax and as hard as it is to admit I just can't get these few thoughts out of my head. Why would a company allow for their Flagship Shotgun to continue to be pushed out with obvious MAJOR flaws? Bent Barrels, Bent Mag Tubes, FTE's due to a sharp edge on the shell catcher etc. I know folks who are VERY happy with their VersaMax's and I know those who have been sent 3 different barrels, and have had their VM replaced 2-3 times and some who have just got a refund and moved on. These folks are still happy with Remington (Taking care) of them but that is NOT something I want to go through. I want to buy a new shotgun and be satisfied.

I can't believe I'm saying this but I'm just finding it very difficult to sink $1200-1500 in a Shotgun(Remington VMax) that may or may not work when I get it.

So I'm looking outwards.

As it stands it seems Berretta & Benelli currently own the field in Waterfowl Type Hunting Autoloaders. With Browning, Winchester, Remington and Mossberg in the field of play too.

For now I'm MOSTLY interested in hearing reviews and thoughts on Beretta’s(A400 Xtreme) and/or Benelli's(Vinci/Super Vinci) but by all means please don't hold back on any other gun manufactures who are producing these type shotguns.

BTW You can look on Shotgunworld.com right now and see topics on Benelli's with FTF issues and Beretta’s failing to function with 3 1/2's so I'm aware they aren't all FLAWLESS ;)

Fire away folks and Thank You

/

See less See more
#71 ·
Benelli SBE II for ducks and geese, Benelli Montefeltro for pheasants, quail, shot flyers and everything else. Reason, they shoot every time, hot, cold, wet, dry, clean, dirty, or filthy and mud caked...every time.

#73 ·
Hunted with an SBE II today. Couldn't hit a thing. Every 5th bird I'd take down.

I was 2 for 2 with a guys Browning Gold.

Still haven't got to shoot a Beretta though.

Of course going from almost 20 years of pumping an 870 20 Ga to an in the Blind switch to a 12 Ga shooting 3 1/2's out of a Benelli probably wasn't going to go so well to begin with :p

#75 ·
i have had my camo SX3 3.5 inch for about two and and a half and have ran about 3500 shells through it and have never had a jam. Shot 1 1/8 oz trap loads to 3.5 BBs for geese, never a hiccup. Easy to clean, points great, takes the cold below zero fahrenheit in Montana, and fits me great. I love everything about it.

The only thing I didn't like was when I first got it the trigger pull was about 6-7 pounds a bit much, I was going to take it to a gunsmith, he told me to put 10 boxes through it, to get the machined parts to wear a little. I did and it is perfect now glad I never jumped the gun on the trigger. As I shot it, it has gotten down to a little under 5 pounds which is good and safe. It comes down to fit, this gun just fits me and points where I look. I killed some ducks this year jump shooting that after I shot and got them, I was like how the heck did I shoot through that brush. I could not have made that shot with my old gun I am sure. Love it, it makes me look good sometimes

I use mod factory choke and Fiocchi #3s on ducks and BBs on geese. I have patterned both of these and they pattern great.

#89 ·
they are catering to the same mentality that thinks you need 1700fps to kill birds, that new "hardcore" "extreme"shooter..3-3.5 inch magnums are for hunters that cant call/decoy birds inside 30 yards, or for guys that sky bust geese at sixty yards and will swear the birds were right over their heads

#93 ·
I don't know man, marsh hunting offers a whole lot more Pass Shooting than rice field hunting.

Late Season birds aren't fond of decoying either. I think those shells have their purpose.
Now now. All ducks will finish right all the time. If they don't, then you can't call or shoot. I guess I'm just going to have to learn how to do this duck hunting thing.

#98 ·
Same gas system (as far as I know) as the SX2. The SX3 has a little different balance and is a little lighter. The vent rib isn't as tall either. I have had a SX2 since 2002, and have been very pleased with it. I certainly don't shoot as many ducks as some but I've banged several cases of 3.5" steel at resident geese through it. Hunted some pretty snotty stuff with it, and have let it get pretty dirty

Overall, I take care of my guns and keep 'em clean. I don't need a several hundred $$$ boat paddle, and you'll never hear me brag about trying to tear up one of my guns. BUT, I haven't babied it either. I can tear it down in under a minute (minus the recoil spring), and have it cleaned and put back together in under five. I can't remember the last time it has failed to cycle. I had a little hiccup with light primer strikes which resulted in some failures to fire, but that was fixed by replacing the recoil spring, which had became weak, and prevented the bolt from slamming shut to full battery.

I like the feel of the SX3 very much. Based on my personal experience with my SX2, the SX3 would be at the top of my list if I was looking again.

#99 ·
Exactly what MD said is the same for me. I am very happy with my SX2 and will pick up a SX3 this year. I have never had a jam in 5 years. The gun patterns good with a Carlsons steel mid-range. Barrel is back bored and chrome lined. Throw in that they cost less and the 3 comes with a set of stock shims.

#100 ·
Take a look at what the top sporting clays guys are using. When I was involved a few years back all you saw guys who had to buy their own guns carrying was Beretta. I own an Xtrema 2, and just purchased an A400 for my son. They just keep getting better.

#102 ·
Unfortunately the Baikal is to often overlooked...they may not have the fit and finish of the big names but their built like a tank. If your on a budget, it's what I'd recommend. I've had mine for 3 seasons...shoots good and no jams, it's easier to clean than any other semi/auto of any type that I've ever used(including military guns)...The big brands may look nicer, be lighter, a few may even patten better...But none beat it in rugged reliability(some may match it) and nothing come close in bang for your buck...mine was $358 new, and that includes the $40 my local gun shop tacked on to order it. Sure I'd love to have a Benelli or a Beretta...but i feel I get more birds putting the extra $1000 into my decoys, dog, etc than spending $1300 on a gun....

#106 ·
Well I went with the Beretta A400 Xtreme.

How's this for a break-in?

50 Shells of Winchester AA #7 ½, - 2 ¾ DR.EQ.
100 Shells Win. Universal #7 ½, - 3 DR.EQ. (Cheapest/Dirtiest Walmart Shells)
Ended with;
Rem. Gun Club Target Loads
25 Shells - #8's, 3 DR.EQ.,
25 Shells - #9's, 2 ¾ DR.EQ.

I'll admit, that I was indeed doubtful that a 3 ½ Mag. Waterfowl type Auto-Loader would be able to cycle the lightest loads reliably or without a malfunction. I was just waiting to see a FTE with the 2 ¾ DR. EQ #9 Loads. However instead, I just saw clay after clay shatter as the Rem. Gun Club boxes were ate up with ease.

I started the journey of purchasing a new Auto-Loading Shotgun before the 2011 Duck Season. Since then I've fired almost every single shotgun produced in recent years and some extensively with exception to the new A5.

It's been an awesome researching adventure and I'm glad I waited and took my time.

Thanks for all those who voted and posted.

#109 ·
Dustin,
I am late to this thread but you did good! You took your time looked at a lot of guns. Had I come to this thread earlier I would have suggested an Extrema 2, the previous model. Mine will cycle anything, I shoot a lot of clays and reload a 12 ga 3/4oz lead target load that run about 1250 fps, my Extrema spits them out all day long, and can go to 3 1/2 inch anytime I feel the need. But I almost never feel the need for 3 1/2, I just love my gun. Unlike the other A400 models, the Extreme has the same gas system as the Extrema 2. The other A400 models use the 391 valve system with the forearm recoil spring. You can get an Extrema 2 for around $1000, but you went whole hog and got not only the new model but that new optifade camo. I hear it is like Harry Potter's cloak-will make you invisible(LOL).

A cleaning hint-get some Militec-1 oil, get your gun completely clean and coat everything including the mag tube with this stuff. Then go out and heat it up shooting. This stuff will bond into the metal with the heat. It will also fog into the trigger group. Then clean it again but only use the Militec as a cleaner, do not use gunscrubber or any strong solvent as it will strip away that bonded film. You will see the mag tube looking horribly dirty but it will literally wipe away with a paper towel. Get into the valve on the barrel and get the Militec down in those little holes. This stuff will not bake on the metal, in fact once I had shot clays which leaves a fair amount of residue in the valve, but without cleaning I went duck hunting. Those high power shells of duck loads blew everything out and the valve was very clean since the Militec kept the stuff from drying on the metal.

Go to Brownells and get a "Port cleaning brush" There are 2 sizes get the smaller one. These are for cleaning ported barrels, but it is the perfect size for scrubbing the two gas ports that are in the top of the valve going into the barrel. Keep those clean. The only place I really use solvent anymore is the barrel, need a solvent to get it really clean. once in a while I will put a bronze brush on a cleaning rod and use a drill to really scrub the bore. Everyplace else is cleaned with the Militec, including the grooves in the receiver where the bolt rides.

I have had Beretta for years and now have 2 Extrema 2s-got a great deal on a lightly used one, so my backup gun is identical to my main gun. If you have ay questions on these guns feel free to PM me and I will try to help you out.

Good choice,
Nate B

#110 ·
Thanks Nate. I'm a fan of Frog Lube and considered using it on the Xtreme but after these 200 shells I took it apart and everything wiped clean like it was polished. As if it already had a coating.

I think the Xtrema is a little different with the gas components too. I saw a nice comparison slide show here;
http://www.slideshare.net/berettausa/beretta-a400-xtreme-vs-xtrema-2

Is that what you were talking about?

Eitherway I read somewhere that the Xtreme was coated with something on the internals and I'm looking into that now. Like I said, everything wiped clean like it was polished. There wasn't a single baked on powder on anything so it would seem there is something on there.

I picked this gun up for exactly $1650 and not a penny more. Had to put $500 down to order. It arrived in less than a week and I brought the remaining $1150 and walked out in less than 12 minutes.

#112 · (Edited)
ROFL! dude you killed me with that. I had a friend tell me pretty much the same thing about his VersaMax. He was raving about how good Remington's Customer Service was. Then he said, man that sounds stupid that I'm complimenting the CS they've been giving me on my BRAND NEW VersaMax. I just laughed like I did when I read your post and said, uh Yea it does lol

They (Maxus) are nice guns. Good feel. I think I said this earlier though. Last season I hunted with some friends in the marsh. They both had Maxus guns. We were shooting a group of teal when I realized that I was the only one still shooting. They were both dealing with malfunctions and my poor old 870 was shucking away :D

Anyway that's my elbow in the ribs to my Browning Friends. ;)

#113 ·
The differences between the Extreme and the Xtrema are minimal, more of a fine tuning so to speak, the other A400 models are very different in the gas cylinder especially and harder to clean. The coating is on the Xtrema also, it is for corrosion protection, but you still need to lube for long term. Aren't they cool to clean??? So easy You got a good price on that and a very short wait, good for you. I must admit I really thought about those when I got my second Xtrema, but I could not pass up $1200 for am almost new gun WITH a slug barrel. Sold my camo 391 for $700, So I think I made out like a bandit. But I still have a little "new gun" envy.

Your going to love that gun, I do like the looks of that camo, seeing it in your pic very other I have seen.
How long is it till duck season........ TOO LONG!!!

#114 ·
The best deal I know of right now is the A400 Beretta in the j40ay16 model. It has the shot counter built into the stock, something Beretta doesn't put in the latest models. Since they've quit offering this feature, you can get the ones that do have it in GA for only $999.

#116 ·
I love my A400 Beretta xtreme!! Best investment I have made in gun purchasing in a long time. Friend has a super vinci and twice this season has had the safety switch lock up on him where he cant put in on safety. Not the best thing when you have loaded guns sitting there with people and dogs with your gun not on safety.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.