RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Please Define The Sun Is Shining

12K views 69 replies 43 participants last post by  JusticeDog 
#1 ·
Let's subject this topic to RTF scrutiny

#44 ·
Dr. Ed asked a serious question and most of you are making light of it. As a professional he rarely loves to talk about hypothetical things.

In this case, I think he is referring to a common judging issue. The field trial definition of “the sun is shining” is: “a term widely used in field trial jargon to note that judges have set up a test facing the sun ‘which is shining’.This means that the dogs cannot see the birds and therefore by default we must be at a field trial.

When the sun is not shining and it is cloudy, the judges will face any and all directions. But, if the sun is shining the judges will face the east in the morning and the west in the evening.

So, I suspect he was asking “why do judges do that when the sun is shining?”

Am I right about this Dr. Ed?

#49 ·
For me this is quite a confusing statement because one has to assume that when the sun is visible it is always shining which may not be totally accurate. If the sun is low at dusk or dawn it isn't really shining, if it is behind a cloud it isn't really shining, and if you are wearing polarized sunglasses it isn't really shining so to define "the sun is shining" requires the definition of a number other words. Here at RTF we aim to over analyze almost everything including this rather simple statement.

#50 · (Edited)
Frankly, my hat is off to all those poor souls who sit in the judges chair, they have to contend with:
the logistics of their allotted test site, ingress and egress, proximity to other stakes and or flights
wind and its variance and change throughout the day
sun and the certainty it will move across the sky, possibility of it going into and behind and them popping out of the clouds

It is trouble enough for us with relatively small entries north of the 49th where a series might go on for 2-3 hours, I can't imagine the stress of factoring all the variables to ensure a fair test which may go the whole day for the first series.

Naturally as a competitor I want the sun glinting off the wings of each bird as they float in an impossibly slow arc across a perfectly contrasting background and they should land belly up too please.

#51 ·
Huh. GDG morphed into serious (mostly) substance (mostly). Does this mean that to avoid GDG one must acknowledge GDG? Sort of like the first step of a twelve-step program?

And the sun is always shining. (And all dogs are good.) Just depends on your perspective.

#52 · (Edited)
Well just for GDG purposes when are you going to change your handle to luvalabn'aflatcoat,Eh? Those Coastalight dogs are very talented and loveable too, no?
And just the record where they come from, we all carry umbrellas to the training grounds not parasols, which might explain why my experience with sunshine is rather scant.

#54 ·
Greta, I think you are missing the very essence of GDG. It is the act of perverting ANY subject, be it silly or serious, from its intended thought. That someone chose to interject a serious thought into a silly discussion, just shows that they know the true nature of RTF! :cool:

#65 ·
I was dodging freakin lightning bolts and no, the sun was most definitly (or would that be definitively) NOT shining

#61 ·
kinda surprised that the Qui Chang trainer person hasnt made a cameo appearance

#62 ·
When I last communicated with Qui Chang Trainer he was teaching transcendental meditation in a Tibetan monastery

#63 ·
When it's nice out, it's sunning. When the wind blows, it's winding.

#69 ·
[QUOTEif i walk with my dog at heel into the dove field and place my stool by a lonely tree, it is one.
if i look for a round bale to sit beside, it is the other.][/QUOTE]

I think this could cause problems down the road. This lonely tree would attract visitors from all around. They would start to collect under the trwee for shade. Some one will end up stepping in your stool and a fight will break out resulting in our legislators re-thinking their position on buying and selling dogs. The stool tax will then be initiated after 60 days of legislative hearings. Only those who have a licence to carry stools under a lonely tree will be allowed out in the field. And to make sure your using only canine stools released by the owner of the dog in question,,the patriot act will insure that without a warrant they can enter your house at any time to force you or your wife to provide them with a valid stool. If the stool sample provided does not match the dna on profile you will be subject to a fine,,or up to 5 years in jail.

Pete

#70 ·
I cannot see the sun today. It is overcast and my headlights are on. Heading over to judge the open at Buckeye. I guess it is a good thing I brought my flashlight?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.