RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Lardy ecollar question

9K views 31 replies 20 participants last post by  Chris Atkinson 
#1 ·
When Lardy does ecollar conditioning he is clear as to the transmitter being in the continuous mode. When he does FTP he is clear that it is in the momentary mode.

When he does ecollar indirect pressure and ecollar fetch he talks about "nicks". Is he still in the continuous mode or has he switched to momentary?

#3 ·
When he does ecollar indirect pressure and ecollar fetch he talks about "nicks". Is he still in the continuous mode or has he switched to momentary?
Wayne, in the origonal tapes he talks about nicks, stimulation and burns. From that I just assumed he was in continuous mode as some of those corrections on the dog he was doing indirect pressure with looked longer than a preprogramed nick.

I don't think it would make much difference as long as you read the dog and got the timing right.

Been wrong before though.

#4 · (Edited)
A REAL dang good question Wayne. I assumed as well that it was continuous.

Just figured in Collar Fetch you're asking the same thing of the dog just in a different way, and if you were pinchin' an ear it wouldn't be a momentary *nick, or pinch, it would be "continuous" untill the dog gets the object in there.

Edit*-
Are you talking about initial Force like Collar Fetch on the table or something else?.

#5 ·
A REAL dang good question Wayne. I assumed as well that it was continuous.

Just figured in Collar Fetch you're asking the same thing of the dog just in a different way, and if you were pinchin' an ear it wouldn't be a momentary *nick, or pinch, it would be "continuous" untill the dog gets the object in there.
i think in collar fetch the nick from the collar is replacing the swat of the stick not the pinch of the ear. you dont continously beat the dog during stick fetch you tap him after the fetch command same way in collar fetch you nick after the fetch command

#6 ·
Swampbilly, In the Lardy system, ecollar fetch is done after all the initial ff work is done (ff, walking fetch, stick fetch, 3 handed casting, ecollar conditioning, 3 handed casting with indirect pressure, refresher on stick fetch) then ecollar fetch.

#8 ·
I wonder why people continue to post questions about the lardy system here when lardy has never bothered to post an answer to any of them.

#10 ·
Is he still in the continuous mode or has he switched to momentary?
Did the TT Pros have momentary when the videos came out? IIRC, it was just about that time that they came out with it but I would bet even if he had one he was still using continuous even if he wanted to nick.

#12 ·
While Lardy may not answer, lots of people have been to his seminars where this subject may have come up.

Ecollars with both momentary and continuous were in use at the time the videos were shot.

#13 · (Edited)
I was at a Lardy seminar, and it did come up...I don't have any notes about it, though.

I have a vague recollection of a discussion about differences in old vs. new collars. What I'm recalling is that, in the old collars, you could not emulate a "nick" using the continuous setting because you had to hold the button down awhile to transmit the signal. If you did a quick press of the button in hopes of a nick, most likely the dog would feel nothing. If you pressed the button long enough to transmit the signal while in continuous mode, you got something much more than a nick. So you had to use the momentary button on the older collars, but the newer TT collars do not have this limitation. Does this sound plausible?

Edit: Oops...I am wondering if the way I remember things is plausible (not if something Lardy said is plausible).

#14 ·
Mitty, When were the seminar? That sounds like real old technology on the ecollars.

#16 ·
The seminar was last summer. Most of my notes are about all the stuff I am doing wrong, apparently my use of the ecollar at that point was not on my radar...the least of my problems!

Someone's dog wasn't responding to the ecollar, and there was a discussion about the ecollar not working right...and the old vs new collar stuff came up. At least this is what I remember.

#15 ·
Hi Renee,

I don't recall the comparison of old vs. new collars, however at one point I believe what I saw Mike do at this June's 2 seminars was demonstrate nicks and burns using the continuous setting on a TT Pro 500; the "burn" he demonstrated was a revelation, at least to me, in that it was much shorter than I had thought; just a press-paaause-release and the "nick" was a press-release.

#18 · (Edited)
I found the answer to part of my question. On the bottom of page 18 of the booklet accompanying the TRT dvds outlined in a box under Collar Fetch: "As with stick pressure, the nick does not get applied on every fetch sequence. Using a collar in the momentary mode works well for collar fetch, as you want the nicks to be very quick"

When all else fails read the directions.

Since he made this distinction on collar fetch, I assume that indirect pressure on three handed casting would still be in the continuous mode.

#21 ·
I would think that would be a good assumption to make.

I attended one of MIke's seminars (workshops) in June 2009. I changed over to much more operation of my TT Pro 500 in continuous mode, versus momentary after attending Mike's seminar. My takeaway was that the immediacy of the momentary setting was really best used for applications right near the handler where you want it to be an immediate snap of a correction and then it's over. But for pretty much all corrections at a distance from the handler, even if you are shooting for a "nick" and not a "burn", you still do it in continuous mode and meter the duration with how long you hold the button down.

As someone else has already mentioned, you can put the collar on a moderate to high setting and "practice" your button timing. As long as your hearing is good, you can audibly detect when the receiver is delivering correction. Just don't touch it to your ear while you're doing it!

Chris

#19 ·
When I attended the Lardy seminar this March in CA a bit of this discussion on continuous vs momentary also came up. My notes and memory are clear on this subject. Lardy said BASICALLY he does not use the momentary function of the TT collars (he did NOT say he never uses it). For a nick, he taps the button on continuous. Also had another pro tell me not to use the momentary for a nick type correction because the stimulation the dog feels is so rapid it can make them jump or kinda de-stabilize them. The pro also told me to tap the TT (I have a TT 500) in continuous mode for a nick. Just figured I would offer this up in the discussion.

#22 ·
My memory is a little vague but I remember Mike swithching from momentary to continuous with a 500 back at a workshop back in '96? I remember him mentioning he preferred one you could switch between momentary and continuous but, if you could only get one get continuous only since you could mimic the momentary with a continuous only collar.

I remember one dog that he was switching back and forth between momentary and continuous. Time has erased what the actual problem was from my memory. I do remember he told the owner they needed to have a collar that you could switch back and forth with. He ended up letting this person take home one of his collars until they were able to purchase on of their own.

Tom

#25 ·
This thread sure ended in a big disappointment. No mike Lardy replying and no a single YouTube video of some zapping their ear. What has RTF come to these days?

#28 · (Edited)
Wayne!

this is Gooser.... beware!:):)

He talks about this in the original version of Training With Mike Lardy..

He says that a "Nick" can be well timmed with a continuous only collar, by learning how long to hold the botton/buttons down.
He says it should NEVER be longer that 1 second.. The Nick on a collar that has a Momentary button,,, is MUch shorter than that..

I have always used Continuous ,, but praticed the "Nick" on my own leg, as to how long,, and what timming it took to replicate the Momentary 'Nick""

JMHDAO>

Gooser

P.S.

If Mrs Gooser finds me asleep,, and can get the collar on my leg,, She donts wory about what button,, or how many she holds down..
She definatly burns untill she gets the desired result..

#31 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.