RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

National Retriever Championship in Brighton, Ontario started today

12K views 58 replies 33 participants last post by  Mary Lynn Metras 
#1 ·
#37 ·
Good Luck Dennis!

#38 ·
Well Dang; The one I was pulling for went out in the 8th, guess I'll have to jump on someone else's Band-Wagon

#39 ·
One of my puppies was in the 9th. I'm waiting for callbacks here at home on a computer. It's about as nervewracking as waiting for callbacks at a trial when we've done less than stellar work but not real bad work either.

Biting my nails over someone else's dog regards,

:)

#45 ·
Lynn said to let you know Lexi is a finalist
:)

#41 ·
Good Luck to all the finalists.....especially my little brown girl #39 Ammo. Good Luck Bill and Ammo!!

12 dogs were called back to the 10th series. Dog 16 will start Test 10 which is scheduled to be a Water Quad.

#4 Limey's Maksim of Dogleg/Ray Smith
#8 FTCH AFTCH Mjolnir's Dana of Long Point/Dan DeVos
#12 FTCH Alexus-Pursuit of Perfection/Ray Smith
#16 Ooo Lala French Lady/Leo Plourde
#17 NAFTCH FTCH AFTCH Flatlands Sledgehammer/Connie Swanson
#24 FTCH RPM Hard As A Rock/Charles Dygos
#25 FTCH AFTCH The Springwaters Rippin Reba/Lorne Langevin
#31 Bluegoose Lightning Rose/Charles Dygos
#37 FTCH AFTCH Wynflat's G.P.S./Lorne Langevin
#39 FTCH AFTCH FC AFC Upon The Wings of an Answered Prayer/Bill Petrovish
#45 FTCH AFTCH FC AFC L And L Just A Gigolo/Kevin Cheff
#47 FTCH AFTCH Flatlands Locked N Loaded/Connie Swanson

http://www.nrcc-canada.com/natl/natl-fri.html#wp1033138

#48 · (Edited)
How's this for a finale?

NRCC Home
Saturday September 28, 2013

Updated: 2:40 pm
The 2013 Canadian National Retriever Championship and the National Retriever Club of Canada

Test 10 - Water Quad With 3 Retired Guns
Updated 2:40 pm
Another spectacular sunny day with a variable breeze 13 km E. The contestants were given a bit of a break with a scheduled late start so that everyone could enjoy the complimentary breakfast, hosted by Nestle-Purina. Test 10 is a Water Quad with 3 retired guns. The test is being run back at Headquarters through 2 ponds that are split by a dike running across between them and another dike at the far end of the larger pond. All birds are thrown right ot left. The long left retired gun is up a steep hill at the end of the larger pond. Dogs must negotiate 2 ponds, bushes, cross a road and drive uphill to the bird, which is thrown into cover near a large bush. Distance to the long gun station is 415 yards direct line of sight. The centre left retired at 268 yards, is thrown angled back along the shore of the 2nd pond into the edge of the cattails. The centre right retired is 258 yards. The gunners are standing back at the brush line and throwing angled back into heavy cover. The order of the guns is clockwise around the horn, starting with the longest gun first. Drake mallards are thrown for the long left and centre right marks. Hen mallards are thrown for the centre left and right hand marks. White ribbons have been placed on the long left and centre right birds to ensure dogs can see the birds thrown. The centre right mark is difficult to see with the background and could get worse later in the day with the shadows. The wind is swirling around the bowl and has pretty well come from all directions. The gunners have been instructed to retire when the 4th gun fires.

Female test dog Ripple, owned and handled by Daniel Shnitka, was called to line at 11:53. Ripple had an excellent go bird. She was sent for the right centre retired second but ended up backside of the left centre gun station and hunted deep behind both sides of the gun station before being handled. When resent for the right centre retired, Ripple to a line way to the right of the gun station and needed to be handled. For the long left mark up the hill at the end of the 2nd pond, Ripple took a line along the left shore and came out on the dike at the far end. She started up the road and broke off towards the mark but ended up to the right and short before being handled. Male test dog, Cooter, owned by Dona and Donald Martin and handled by Donald, also had an excellent go bird. When sent for the right centre retired, Cooter ran through the gap on the right side of the pond, hunted wrong side of the gun station but worked it out and came up with the bird. For the centre left mark, Cooter took a good line through the first and second pond, coming out under the arc and hunted under the arc on shore before coming back into the cattails to pick up the bird. There was no splash for that bird. For the long left retired, Cooter went way left of the test and was recalled. When resent he went through the left retired fall area and hunted short between the left and left centre gun stations and was called in. Both test dogs had difficulty picking out the gunners on the left gun station up the hill. Even with the friendly order of the guns, it wasn’t obvious that the test dogs saw all the throws. The first running dog was called to line at 1:00 pm.

Pasture Grassland Land lot Grass Vegetation

#50 · (Edited)
Even with the friendly order of the guns, it wasn’t obvious that the test dogs saw all the throws.
Bill, I dislike tests where it is uncertain the guns can be seen. I know it's a test you have to bear down pointing out the guns very carefully before they throw, and that does test trainability and teamwork. But... little changes of lighting can make big differences on whether or not the dogs see the guns and marks. I don't like the idea of the national being decided on where the dog ran in the order or whether or not the sun came out from behind clouds or disappeared behind a cloud
for a moment. I wish there was a way to make it the same conditions for everybody. This is a national it only happens once a year. It's not like they have several trials in the coming weeks for the conditions to average out among the dogs.

#57 ·
Winner

FTCH AFTCH FC AFC L And L Just A Gigolo
Owned by Howard Simson & Lise Langlois

Handled by Ken Cheff

Huge congratulations to Team Deuce!
Nice job Howard and Kevin !!!

CONGRATULATIONS to Lise, Howard & Kevin!!!
What a fun and exciting National. Enjoyed every minute of it. A HUGE thank you to Everyone!!! The judging and tests were outstanding. An honor and a privilege!!
Bill and Upon the Wings of an Answered Prayer "Ammo"

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.