RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Turkey Hunting in Oregon this spring

4K views 12 replies 11 participants last post by  honkin 
#1 ·
Hi all,

I am not sure if this is the right category to post a question like that, so please move the thread if it is not.

My Dad will come from Germany visit us this April and I was thinking of going turkey hunting with him. We have no wild turkeys in Germany, so I thought that this would be something special for him and me. In addition, I've never had wild turkey meat and I can imagine that it probably tastes much different than the one you buy at Safeways...;-)

I was wondering if you have any general advice or advice finding hunting opportunities or maybe know somebody offering turkey hunting in Oregon.

Your help is much appreciated!

Anna

#2 ·
Oregon has some great turkey hunting available, and California is excellent. Public land hunting is generally highly competetive but can certainly be productive if you have the time and expertise. If you have or can find resource of private lands that to me is ideal as it usually means a hunt on little or even unhunted birds. If you are new to it a good guide is likely your best bet. I have ever hunted with a guide or know of any first hand. Most guides have secured access to private lads and usually boast high success rates. If it was me I would google search Turkey Guide or just Guides in Oregon and California. Prospect your guides through question and good guides will have lots of good referrals available. Season is fast approaching and the better guides will likely soon be full so I would get on it.

Good gobbling regards,

:)

Oh! And you are right about Wild and Domestic Turkey tasting different, Wild certainly eat much better!

#7 ·
Pattern your gun with a good heavy duty turkey load. Birds will often hang up at 40 to 50 yards and gobble like crazy. Be patient when this happens. Do a lot of scouting, and try to locate several vocal birds.

One thing I've learned over the years is that if you're seeing them in a field, so is everyone else. Meaning, when you show up opening day at 5am, there will be 5 other trucks there as well. I walk alot of power lines and ridge tops, away from traveled roads to find the birds I really want to hunt. Hunters in general, are lazy, and don't want to walk. Often times, you'll have these types of birds to yourself.

You can pattern turkey just like deer. They tend to roost in the same places, strut in the same places, etc. etc.

Do your homework. Enjoy the hunt with your dad.

Steve

#8 ·
turkeys are easy bring cold weather gear and be prepared depending on where you go. I was caught in three whiteout situations with the only thing saving me from freezing was a good fire under a tree. Depending on where you go on the amount of pressure you will see. If it is your first time you might want to go with a guide. I like Turkey hunting but calling in a big bull to thirty yards is what I love best. Good luck and have a great time. You might also think about spring bear.

#9 ·
Anna, Yes Jackson and Douglas counties have probably the best concentration of turkeys in Oregon. I haven't turkey hunted myself but very good advice in researching a guide. Another website is Ifish.Although they can be tight lipped about most things in recommending spots. I saw something online about Strand Outdoors. I know Eric is a very good waterfowl guide. Check out turkey hunting too.
I'll try to get some more pictures of Porsche for you this week.
See you next weekend,

Jeff

#11 ·
I'll try to get some more pictures of Porsche for you this week.
See you next weekend,

Jeff
:D:D:D
Yes please!! We are so looking forward that!!!

Thanks for all your advice, guys! Very much appreciated! I have organized a hunt with a very experienced guide. I hope we'll catch something ;-)
But if not it is still going to be a great day, hanging out with my dad and doing what we both like most!

#10 ·
There's a beautiful spot near Roseburg called Big K Ranch! They have neat cabins placed very close to the main lodge and it all looks over 1000 acres or more of hunting ground and a winding river.

Usually there are so many wild turkeys there that you trip over them. The prices are good, cabins nice, food is good and the scenery is spectacular! Oh and the family that runs it are very very nice!!! No I'm not related. But I've been there a few times for pheasant hunting. Dog allowed in cabin.

http://www.bigkoutfitters.com/hunting-ranch/oregon-turkey-hunting/

#12 · (Edited)
I hunt the Medford area every year. It is tough to get started as it is not easy to figure out what area is open to public access and what is not. A place to start is the JACMA road closures. These areas are open for walk-in hunting. The maps are available through Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife or Oregon State Police.
If this is your first turkey adventure, I would encourage you to look at obtaining the services of a guide such as those at the Big K ranch. Turkey hunting is not easy and using a guide for a day or two will help you learn the ropes much quicker.
Randy

PS... oops it looks like you have already obtained the services of a guide. Good Luck to you and your dad!

#13 ·
1. Don't move- turkeys have excellent eyesight.
2. Ain where the feathers and the skin of the neck meet. Shotguns typically pattern high and this will put more shot on the kill zone. Pattern your gun first, aim once at the head of a turkey and then aim at where I suggest. You'll see what I mean.
3. Be prepared to give up all your other spring time hobbies. Turkey hunting is addictive!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.