RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Garmin Delta training collar???

7K views 28 replies 16 participants last post by  Chris Krause 
#1 ·
I'm looking for a new E- collar does anyone have The Garmin Delta?? If so what do you think?

#4 ·
The Delta sport is a nice unit , but does not go hot enough, and you cannot change the prongs

#10 · (Edited)
Don't have one but my gripe is that you have to look at the unit to tell what level you're on. And it replaced the TT unit I sold most to customers, the Sport Basic. Not a smart move in my opinion by TT.
Lots of people new to dog training come and go through a kennel and training facility next to my house. The Sport Basic is ALWAYS what folks were sent off to purchase at a local retailer or a specific site we always suggest. From the OBED Kennel up the street to the gun dog/hunt test/field trial pointer trainer. It's ALWAYS been Sport Basic. TT has made a HUGE error in moving to the Garmin product.

I see it as a generational product too. Older folks are not fans of the digital screens either. When used to a product with a dial, they can "feel" the setting levels and count the clicks. I can't tell you how many older retired gentlemen turn their dial to zero and count the clicks back to the level where they have been told to run their dog.

Folks aren't going to pull out their readers to see the digital numbers. I think that change long ago was a failure on Dogtra's part. I know two folks who dumped the Dogtra when it went digital even though they liked the ease of setting ranges on the Dogtra.

It all makes sense from a Corporate standpoint. What big business really listens to the customer and makes changes based upon feedback from their niche market? not many. I do know the Dogtra NC 1800 has a basic dial and two buttons. For new trainers that will probably be the new recommendation when all the Sport Basics are no longer available. I know a few folks in need of new ones so, will pass it on to them they'd better get moving and get their TT Sport Basic bought asap.

#14 ·
You're right Gulfcoast, but why can't a company just buy another then let them keep running like they were? They obviously bought TT because it was a successful company so why step in and go changing it!
You're a bright guy, you know the answer....the buyer thinks they can make a larger profit and expand the brand..the owners of TT obviously thought it was time to cash in and sell their company

#13 ·
Eactly my point too Paul. That's was a selling point to folkd for me. I carry the T-miiter in my pocket hunting and can count the clicks to know where I'm at without taking it out, without taking my eyes off the dog, without getting my readers out! That's why I bought a spare Basic already and have encouraged clients to suck them up when they see them.

Ran a Sport Basic on my police dog for similar reasons and the whole department switched from Dogtra to TT for the same reasons. Great tactical advantage to not have to look at your transmitter.

Perhaps TT will listen.....then again perhaps not. :(

#15 · (Edited)
Eactly my point too Paul. That's was a selling point to folkd for me. I carry the T-miiter in my pocket hunting and can count the clicks to know where I'm at without taking it out, without taking my eyes off the dog, without getting my readers out! That's why I bought a spare Basic already and have encouraged clients to suck them up when they see them.

Ran a Sport Basic on my police dog for similar reasons and the whole department switched from Dogtra to TT for the same reasons. Great tactical advantage to not have to look at your transmitter.

Perhaps TT will listen.....then again perhaps not. :(
I bet the people at Tri-Tronics think I'm making this stuff up...lol

Brad- the same price point Dogtra is the 1800 NC. I've never liked that model because the dial is so small. TT always had the nice large round dial with spaced clicks. Dogtra's is very small in the clicks are light so, tougher to feel but, they still do have some feel. Another point was the TT Sport you could dial with one hand. The Dogtra requires two hands and your two fingers to pinch the small dial.

#17 ·
My husband likes his Sport Basic better than the Pro 500--so I thought I'd look and see if I could get him a spare while they're still available. Too late. All vendors on the first four pages of Google were sold out. There isn't even a single one listed on ebay.

Amy Dahl

#18 · (Edited)
My husband likes his Sport Basic better than the Pro 500--so I thought I'd look and see if I could get him a spare while they're still available. Too late. All vendors on the first four pages of Google were sold out. There isn't even a single one listed on ebay.

Amy Dahl
I come across them on craiglist occasionally. I'll buy every one I see from here on out. This is going to be like the end of the 9 shot .22 NEF..... Can't get it and people want it.

for you Pro-500 lovers... just saw this on a quick search- $100

http://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/spo/4105165048.html

#20 ·
I started using these

http://ecollar.com/index.php/component/virtuemart/view/category/virtuemart_category_id/1

recently and have about 6 in the field so far with no reported problems.

Some things I like:

Dogtra style level setting but you can lock the dial so no accidental changes.
Boost can be custom set so you can go up 5 levels or 20 levels or 50 levels depending on the dog (0-100 level adjust-ability)
Can be set for nic, or cont, or combination of both
Has vibrate feature (I don't use it but customers like)
Fits very well in the hand
Has long contact points if necessary
Belt clip and lanyard included
Remote switch light on the collar is a feature my customers like (I even used it hunting the other day myself)
Collar and transmitter are both rechargable and waterproof.

The two dog unit can be set up so one button operates dog1 and the other dog2. Both can have different levels and different boost. No switch to hit to change dogs, just hit the right button (and people still get it wrong).

The thing probably has 10 more features I haven't even looked into. Overall I like the ergonomics and switching better than tri-tronics tube styles (I still have a 100 and a 500) and it has far more features than a Dogtra 1800 (which I used to recommend to customers).

Obviously the long term remains to be seen but I and my customers really like these units so far.

#21 · (Edited)
Darrin , Seeing that you are promoting these collars you might want to write Foster and Smith Training people and let them know how incredibly WRONG their advice is on how to start the dog on an ecollar http://ecollar.com/index.php/e-collar-training-techniques

this is the basics intro.....

"Here's how it works:place the collar on your dog - you can choose a collar with different stimulation levels or a
vibration collar - and make sure you know how the transmitter works.
Call out the command and if your dog does not respond, correct him by pressing the
transmitter button. Make sure you use the lowest level - your goal is to get the animal's
attention but never hurt the dog. Your dog should associate the stimulation with your voice - he naturally wishes to please
you, so should respond quickly. When he performs the correct behavior, reward him. Your
praise can be a simple pat on the shoulder or chest, verbal praise, or a treat. This will further
reinforce the correct behavior.
Controlling aggressive or nuisance behavior:"

#24 ·
You're kidding me right? I'm not promoting anything.

As usual trying to help people with useful information and getting grief over it.

The first thing I tell anyone about an e-collar or a pinch collar or even a clicker is not to try and go to the internet for information on how to use it, but rather to consult someone with experience using the tool in question.

I don't really care what the website says. It seems so far to be a quality product and people here should know about their options.

#23 ·
Bought a TT Sport Basic G3 at a Hunt Test tailgate party auction last year new in box for about $50 more than they were selling for at the time. Wife asked me if I was crazy or had too many beers. Sounds like I made a good investment. It's still in the box because I have a Pro200 G3 with 2 collars that I'm using now. I think I'll just let it sit on the shelf until I need it.

#25 ·
Have you all seen the new collars with an e-clicker function? Dead straight serious!

#27 · (Edited)
Just went back to look for it and didn't find the first one but, came up with a Dogtra E-Clicker... I guess Garmin's been one-upped in the new business!?!?!! lol..

http://uniquedistributors.com/iqcliq.html

Do take note;

They have a link for pot bellied pigs..

#28 ·
I switched from TT to Dogtra about six years ago and havn't looked back. It took me awhile to get use to the transmitter but I like the Dogtra way better. I like how you turn it off and on and I like the dial. What I really like is the fact that I do not have to send every other one back because something was wrong with it. I had bad luck with TT and even though I all but got their units for free the Dogtra collars have held up way better.

#29 ·
I am not a fan of the new Garmin Delta's or Delta Sports. As stated previously the annoyance of having to look at the transmitter has been difficult to over come. I personally use the Pro 100 but we sell the Delta and Delta sport as an entry level collar to our clients. Neither have been easy to explain to clients to use. I felt my clients were alot more comfortable using the TT basic then the new Delta's. I also enjoyed the TT charging station rather than the wiring harness Garmin provides. I have expressed my concerns to my Garmin Rep unfortunately I don't think they will be changing anything soon.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.