RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Biting?!?!

5K views 18 replies 15 participants last post by  DRAKEHAVEN 
#1 ·
Any advice on getting a puppy to stop biting?

#2 ·
When he does it squeeze his mouth and tell him NO!

#3 ·
Whenever pup puts his teeth on something he's not supposed to have his teeth on, stop him, tell him NO and give him something he can put his teeth on. Always try to give him something he CAN put his teeth on.

Prepare yourself to do this until AT LEAST 8 months old.

#5 ·
No, it is a puppy being a puppy

#6 ·
What worked for my Rowdy is to yell "OUCH" when he bites you. Something about litter behavior, when one puppy gets too rough the other one yelps loudly and the offender stops.

#7 ·
Pinch the pups lips onto its own teeth causing discomfort. Leave your hand right there when you let go. If the pup comes right back for another bite you know your correction was not meaningfull enough. Once you get to the right amount of pressure pup will decide that was not nearly as much fun as it was when he/she was biting littermates and will find something else to do. Your pup is not looking for something to chew on it is trying to play with you just like it did with it's littermates. Time to learn that biting people is not an option. It wont take long at all.

#10 ·
I always found a 2 fingered bop on the nose with a NO works pretty well, They sort've look at you like what the heck was that, maybe I shouldn't bite so hard ;)

#18 ·
Originally Posted by woodducks
Any advice on getting a puppy to stop biting?

When he lets go, click and say "good dog."

/Paul
Dangit /Paul, you forgot the treat.

Get with the program. Sheesh

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.