RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

College Football 2013 GDG

338K views 2K replies 97 participants last post by  roseberry 
#1 · (Edited)
Well it's less than 2 weeks away so I will go ahead & start up The Official CFB Thread for 2013. Lots to talk about. Wait for it. Wait for it. The Over rated State University will play in The BCS NAT CHAMP. There. I said it. It's happening. Time to move on.

"Do your job. Do your job. Be a part. You do those things, we enjoy victory @ the end. As a team."

All the nonsense about counting LSU out this year will ultimately make them The Most under rated team this year. Mett will throw for 3,600-3,800 yards, 36 TDs, & 8 picks.

#1,067 ·
i have kept my "smack" in check after the week's/weekend's games. i realize that everything that made this such a delightful cfb weekend for me:p are the same things that made it sad for others!:mad:

having said that, i gotta give props to tide senior linebacker t'nae(sp?) patrick. patrick was a standout at north jackson high here in jackson county. though he has three nat champ rings, his career playing time at bama has been mostly special team and some situations. saturday night in the first quarter he came out of nowhere and broke to the ball on the outside and caused the fumble that robbed lsu of what appeared to be a cakewalk run to the endzone. congrats to local kid done good!:)

also note that jacob is correct, lsu could have scored more, early had things gone "more their way". just don't forget that alabama defenders dropped from their grimey fingers, at least three interceptions that could have "gone their way". but as the old cliche' goes, "if them kids on defense could catch, they would be playing offense!"

j r, as you say things do go in cycles. i am just turned 50 years old. growing up here in alabama during the '60's and '70's it is really nice, as it relates to football that things have finally gotten back to normal around here!!!!;-) (for another week or two anyway)

#1,070 ·
I would love to see an Alabama/Stanford match up. 2 power type teams butting heads would be a good game to watch.
I was hoping to see Baylor leapfrog ohio state but SOS is holding them back, just like it has held ohio out of the top spots. This year seems to be a good year to evaluate what a true playoff would look like. If it were a 4 team and season ends with records like they are, does Baylor get the nod over Stanford? Would hate it for Stanford. And if Baylor streaks out would hate to see them left out also.

#1,109 ·
Baylor will jump tOSU after we whip OSU in Stoolwater. We may jump Stanford after we spank Tech this weekend. We will wrap up the regular season with a Big 12 championship with a home game blowout win against Texas. This will be the last game ever played at The Case before we open our new $300m stadium next year.

It's meant to be. What sucks is if we don't make it to the NC we'll get the non AQ team (Fresno St, UCF, N Illinois) in the Fiesta Bowl.

Sic Em

#1,071 ·
I think I will rest on my laurels after being 1000% on my football predictions.

#1,080 ·
Here's the problem with scheduling OOC games. You have to schedule them years (Sometimes many years.) in advance. When you do that, what looks like an elite game @ that time, might not pan out @ the time it's played. Take the gumps this year with VA Tech & LSU with TCU. When they were scheduled, they were must see games.

#1,081 · (Edited)
I hate to act so out of it, and perhaps I am, and no offence to those guys, but I don't consider VA Tech and TCU elite programs. Sure in 2008 you wouldn't have expected USC to fall off the face of the earth, but no matter how bad they are, it would still be a game to watch if you scheduled them against LSU, same with Michigan or Ohio State. In general I love keeping systems segregated until that one big game to decide it all, like the old National League versus American League in the World Series, or AFL versus NFL in the Super Bowl. When they were completely separate they evolved into completely different styles of play, and it was fun to speculate which system would dominate when they were finally pitted against each other. The difference is in order to get to that one special game or series you had to run the gauntlet of a playoff-pennant system.

College football pits two teams together in a much more arbitrary way. Alabama has absolutely dominated everyone over the recent past, even more so than they did in the 60's. The question for us outside the Southeast US is, is the whole SE Conference that dominant or is their reputation skewed because Alabama happens to be in their conference? No doubt there are a lot of very perennially good teams in the SE, but we feel the same about the PAC 12. What happens is one good team beats another, or a favored team relaxes against a lesser opponent and loses, and are then completely out of contention. If you are not going to have a real 16 team playoff system, I would personally prefer the old AP and Coaches poll for picking a National Champion. I think the BCS is just as arbitrary, yet with the trophy and everything it gives itself a credibility it doesn't deserve.

John

#1,082 · (Edited)
is the whole SE Conference that dominant
or is their reputation skewed because Alabama happens to be in their conference.
You tell me;

(BCS National Championship Game)
Records by conference

Conference
Wins
Losses
Winning Teams
Losing Teams
SEC
1**
Alabama (3), Florida (2), LSU (2), Tennessee, Auburn
LSU** vs(Alabama)
Big 12
Oklahoma, Texas
Oklahoma (3), Nebraska*, Texas
ACC
Florida State
Florida State (2)
Big East
Miami (FL)*
Miami (FL)*, Virginia Tech*
Big Ten
Ohio State
Ohio State (2)
Pac-12
1†
USC
Oregon, USC
Independent
None
Notre Dame

BCS Bowl Appearances

Conference
Appearances
W
L
Pct

School(s)
SEC
Florida (5–2)
LSU (4–1)
Alabama (3–2)
Georgia (2–1)
Auburn (2–0)
Tennessee (1–1)
Arkansas (0–1)

#1,096 ·
He was actually coach & AD at Oregon State :).

#1,104 ·
I stand corrected thats Chris Schenkel on the play by play with Bud W. on the Tex vs Ark game

#1,112 ·
Franco my premise is that BCS title Games are BS and shouldn't count. Hey I hate the Big 10, they were our arch rivals my whole life, and they do seem to have regressed lately, but I argue that all things change, things go up and things go down, so I wouldn't count any once dominant conference out in perpetuity. I so can't wait for a true playoff system to settle this argument once and for all.

#1,113 ·
I too am looking forward to the playoff system, just wish it were the Top 8 teams. The BCS selection was signed off by the schools and is the most comprehensive ranking system the sport has ever had. Unlike the previous systems that lacked comprehensive comparisons such as strength of schedule. But, lets face it, I can't find any back to back championships over the last 50 years by a Big 10 or Pac 10 school. Big bad Michigan 1964 & 97, Ohio St 1968 & 2002, Penn St 1982 & 86, Michigan St 1965. There aren't any two in a row much less anything resembling seven in a row!

#1,124 · (Edited)
OMG do I dare even mention my boys in this testosterone SEC thread. I think at one time or at least 5 times we knew a thing about the pigskin.... The Huskers won back-to-back crowns in 1970 and 1971, before winning titles in 1994, 1995 and 1997.
I am only 44 years old and I don't have the best eye sight. However, I do believe my eyes are telling me we won our NCs over the big bad teams, of the deep can't be beat, no way no how teams in the SEC. Guys I understand you "Football know-it-alls will beat this post up and it will be okay. Since the only stats you care about are from say 2000 on up. I also have come to realize the only football talk to matter is what most posters on here call the BCS. Again its okay in my lifetime I already have 5 NC that is more than "most" can say they will ever see. You SEC boys rest assured even your own mighty Miami Hurricane NFL draftee Warren Sapp didn't believe Nebraska was real till he was sucking wind so hard in the 4th quarter it became the highlight of the game. It comes in cycles, enjoy your current cycle.

#1,126 ·
I know this is not at all how you meant this, but to an Alabama fan being accused of only caring about the recent past is certainly a new one.

I would also caution you that folks might jump on you about "claiming" that many national championships. Especially if some of them may have been split.

My father told me that 38-6 beating in the Orange Bowl was the worst beating he ever saw one of Coach Bryant's teams take. That was a great Nebraska team.

OMG do I dare even mention my boys in this testosterone SEC thread. I think at one time or at least 5 times we knew a thing about the pigskin.... The Huskers won back-to-back crowns in 1970 and 1971, before winning titles in 1994, 1995 and 1997.
I am only 44 years old and I don't have the best eye sight. However, I do believe my eyes are telling me we won our NCs over the big bad teams, of the deep can't be beat, no way no how teams in the SEC. Guys I understand you "Football know-it-alls will beat this post up and it will be okay. Since the only stats you care about are from say 2000 on up. I also have come to realize the only football talk to matter is what most posters on here call the BCS. Again its okay in my lifetime I already have 5 NC that is more than "most" can say they will ever see. You SEC boys rest assured even your own mighty Miami Hurricane NFL draftee Warren Sapp didn't believe Nebraska was real till he was sucking wind so hard in the 4th quarter it became the highlight of the game. It comes in cycles, enjoy your current cycle.

#1,129 ·
Rookie Trainer, I understand Alabama Football is steep with tradation as other programs not mentioned until page 29. My only comment back is all 5 of our NC trophies are whole, in-tact, not one of them displayed was cut in half. But if you want to take away any part of our NCs, I understand. You are once again part of the SEC the only place football has ever been played.

#1,131 ·
Dustin, I don't know what to tell you, we were in the game that was for the NC and we won. I didn't play in the game and I don't make up the rules. You boys from the SEC just have heartburn over everything. It is humorous...

#1,133 ·
Dustin ask someone who made up the rules. Or if we only claim 4 NC does that mean that LSU is a better program because it has 5 NC as well? Oh wait, you only have 3.
You are all about STATS so I showed what STATS we have. You don't like the STATS to bad,,, its in the books.

#1,136 ·
Are talking about LSU now? i thought we were talking about 1997 Neb.. Are you lashing out? lol

LSU has two BCS National Title Trophy's. I have no idea what that means to you or anyone else but no one else.

My point. In 1997, (you) didn't end the Season #1 nor did (you) play against the #1 Team. Just the facts

#1,138 · (Edited)
The reason we have a BCS today is because the AP was too political. The BCS is all encompassing when ranking teams. The best system to date short of a playoff system. In regards to the 2003 Championship, USC couldn't do it on the field of play so the AP came to their rescue!

#1,139 ·
Dustin, mngundog, time to go home for the day so with that said, We have a NC trophy in our case for 1997. In a thread on a dog forum where it is all about details, stats, and impressions. I will leave you with this. #1 Michigan beat #8 ranked Washington State by 5 points.... #2 ranked Nebraska beat #3 ranked Tennessee (with a decent QB that you might have heard of) 42-17. If two games of this similarity were played in todays BCS world... you both are lying if you wouldn't agree the more impressive win amongst unbeatens wasn't given to the #2 ranked team beating up on a #3 ranked team over a close 5 point win against a #8 team. Dustin with you from the SEC I know you will not say that Washington State was a tougher opponent than Tennessee, that wouldn't be keeping it in the family...

#1,140 · (Edited)
time to go home for the day so with that said
'Huskeroo, the LSU boys are taking it easy on you in sympathy for y'alls' getting stuck out there with Bo Pellini. But the good news is brother Carl might be rejoining him and who knows, in another 4-5 years, y'all might well be competing in the B1G for conference championships again.

You can also take consolation in the fact that the '71 Huskers (destroyed the Crimson Tide 38-6 in the Orange Bowl as you noted) were the greatest college team at least in my lifetime. All those All-Americans didn't do much in the NFL - Jerry Tagge? Lord help the Green Bay Packers - but nobody since collegiately compares to that Nebraska team from where I sit.

MG

#1,142 ·
i missed some really good stuff today!!!!!

rookie is correct, we alabama fans love to talk about "the good ol' days". note my post #1,004 talking about bama winning more rose bowls than all but 5 teams from the combined b1G, pac12. and bama aint even been invited since 1946!;-)

if the ap is the only, "stand the test of time" way. hell, let's just keep it! i always liked the idea of having to beat people so bad that even those east and west coast voters who hated you had no option but to vote for you!

but i like the bcs just fine. it keeps us talking smack all year long! the entire season is a playoff, right? someone is still gonna be bitchin, 4, 8 or 64!

i am not sure the upcoming "football tournament" is the best way to award a seasonal champ. it will just identify who is hot and not injured. this year in baseball was the first in several years when the two teams with the best records played in the series and i never like it when a wildcard team wins the series!

to compare what we are talking about, assume we were talking the national open with 90 to 120 dogs annually participating. let's say for example farmer won three of the last four, milligan won one, edwards won one and rorem(i know he winters in texas) won two of the last seven national opens. it would stand to reason that fans of the texas circuit would be a little touchy when someone on rtf came in and low rated the level of dog coming out of texas.;) that's all!

#1,144 ·
to compare what we are talking about, assume we were talking the national open with 90 to 120 dogs annually participating. let's say for example farmer won three of the last four, milligan won one, edwards won one and rorem(i know he winters in texas) won two of the last seven national opens. it would stand to reason that fans of the texas circuit would be a little touchy when someone on rtf came in and low rated the level of dog coming out of texas.;) that's all!
Again you would get it wrong - we got a guy up here that knows how to win the big ones - lots of them :cool:.

#1,161 ·
but but but...THE AP!!!

I wonder if folks realize the AP Voters are definitely NOT majority based in the South.

They're just Media Personnel with an agenda. They're not Football players, they're not experts.
They're Media Sports Writers who's jobs depend on JUICY stories, Cinderella Tales and controversy.

Yea, a real trust worthy group of people.

#1,165 ·
The #1 recruit in the country by Rivals.com just picked AL as his football school. What I am more impressed with is that he is going to major in Civil Engineering, I wish young Mr. Hand all the success in the world in his choices :cool:.

#1,168 ·
i looked and danged if i can find ANY big 10 pac 12 sec or big 12 teams listed as ever haveing won a national championship game in the ncaa now georgia southern has won 6 youngstown state has won 4 appalacian state won 3 in a row in the early 2000's and north dakota state has won the last 2

sec has won 7 bcs titles tho

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.