RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Heeling too close...

8K views 22 replies 17 participants last post by  Dustin McBride 
#1 ·
Anyone ever had issues with this? My dog is almost leaning on my leg, making it difficult for me to walk, and essentially impossible to make a left turn. She does really well overall, she stops and sits when I stop, turns when I do, etc. I've tried bumping her with my leg, but that doesn't seem to help much.

#5 ·
Pushing against you is a form of dominance. The dog is winning. Slap him with a heeling stick a couple of times and he will stop that.

#8 ·
The knee to the cheek, step on the toes or whatever could make a nervous problem worse.

Agreed Darrin, I had past dogs that were just trying to make sure they didn't miss a turn and didn't want to screw up. Instead of correction from the choker to the side try it straight up. Constantly getting tugs to the inside leg may cause the dog to heal close to the leg.

#9 ·
Some dogs do what we call the braille approach to heeling. If I touch you, I don't need to look at you. I had one years ago that would lean into me and was able to look around rather than at me in the obedience ring. My instructor had me put a pinch collar on my left thigh with the prongs pointing out. It was positioned on my leg to hit her shoulder (not the face) if she got too close. After a few encounters with the prongs, she learned to stay off my leg. Another suggestion would be to take two steps and turn left into the dog. Repeat that over and over. You'll be heeling in a square. Your dog will get the idea that it isn't too smart to hug your left leg.

That said, my new puppy did some leg hugging when learning to heel. I had a pinch on her and just did some consistent guiding off my leg using the leash. It went away after a few training sessions. Personally, I'd rather deal with that issue than the forging on the way to the line drive the bus issues I had with my male.

Laurie

#12 ·
All you need is a Pin brush. Attach it to your leg using large rubber bands. Everytime the dog gets too close it will get an instant "poke" by the pins and will learn very quickly to stay off your leg. This is an old obedience trick used by Judy Howard a very well known obedience guru. I have used it and it works!

Joyce ( Blackwater Chesapeakes)

#14 · (Edited)
Try on a different shade of glasses and look at this in a different light.
Some would consider it a major plus that you have a dog that stays in contact with your leg.
You want this but not the heavy leaning. You also want a dog who looks out into the field.
Except for heeling drills when do you need to make a hard left turn going to the mat? For most retriever ht and ft work the heeling game is all about aligning the dog to see something or go somewhere. Most of us could give two hoots about traditional heeling except from truck to blind to line and back.
So learn how to communicate with this dog at the line using very slow deliberate movement the dog can feel. Rather than fight this teach him to line his spine with direction your facing. As you progress you should find less leaning. Some dogs that are bird crazy won't dare take their eyes off the guns but may place their paw on top of your foot to feel your movement.
I would take advantage of a dog with this behavior. Not saying you should just saying there are other things to consider. Find someone in your area known for handling dogs by touch to learn more if you want.

#15 ·
Originally Posted by Joyce
All you need is a Pin brush. Attach it to your leg using large rubber bands. Everytime the dog gets too close it will get an instant "poke" by the pins and will learn very quickly to stay off your leg. This is an old obedience trick used by Judy Howard a very well known obedience guru. I have used it and it works!

Joyce ( Blackwater Chesapeakes)

Where did an idea like this come from???:sad: Poor choice!
Mary Lynn, you know this how? Have you seen it done and there was baggage, or you tried it and it didn't work, or what? Lots of tricks like this work pretty well and I'm so dumb I'd never think of them on my own.

#16 ·
Mary Lynn, you know this how? Have you seen it done and there was baggage, or you tried it and it didn't work, or what? Lots of tricks like this work pretty well and I'm so dumb I'd never think of them on my own.
I would think there is a better way to approach the problem???Guess I would not think of this method either Howard? It would not be a choice I would use! Does this method really teach the dog? JMHO

#18 ·
Yes it REALLY teaches the dog. IMOP its better than kneeing the dog in the face or stepping on their toes. But what would I know, I have Chessies so I guess I can't possibly know anything. And if you would look up Judy Howard you would know how it came about.
Its a quick and easy method to use and like I said YES it works!

Joyce

#19 ·
Joyce Sorry I have no idea who Judy Howard is. JMO I don't think this teaches a dog much. You say you have Chessies and that may make a difference. I like a more positive approach to teach. JMO. So if it works for you great! That is what it is all about and I respect that.

#20 ·
Just like when you turned away from the dog when it got out of position to teach heeling; you should turn into a dog heeling too close, and away from a dog heeling out too far. Go back to the yard and work this for several days. Be sure you yank your choke chain back when turning into the dog with your heel command rather than to the side. Don't forget your turning drills and be sure to work "here" means forward and "heel" means backwards.

#22 ·
Stepping on toes? Really??? A dog leaning on you is dominance so beat them? Geez, Louise. In fact, leaning is most often a sign of submissive, "clingy" behavior. I've seen it far more in the dozens of abused rescues I've trained than in truly dominant types that tend to try to be much more independent. Proper leash mechanics and well executed corrective turns will correct this problem. To do this, you trap the leash with your left hand (which should ordinarily NOT be on the leash) about 12" from the snap. You do this to stop the dog's forward momentum then immediately turn 90 degrees INTO the dog, putting your thigh on the dog's neck and step through him. This is so you can turn his head to your new direction. It doesn't take many abrupt turns like this for dogs to realize you could turn at any time so they separate from you and are prepared to pivot out of your way. You also don't risk broken toes. SHOW the dog how to be right.

#23 ·
Wow, y'all really didn't care for the stepping on toes comment or Wayne's heeling stick suggestion. Yes, shaprly turn into the dog when doing heeling drills. What happens when you do this??? They often will get a leg pushed into them...or maybe a knee....ergo my suggestion of kneeing the dog. Furthermore, I wasnt implying to stomp on the dog's toes, but if the dog is leaning on you while you walk, another thing you can do is to step on his/her toes (dont STOMP them) and it will move away. Useful if he leans on you while sitting at heel. A swat with a heeling stick would do the same thing...Not so much a difference to me as using a pinch collar as some have suggested. It all make the dog associate that being on your leg is uncomfortable.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.