RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Solar Panels for your kennels

7K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  TN_LAB 
#1 ·
Does anyone have any experience with Solar panels? For the past few winters I have ran a 100 Ft extension cord to the dog kennel So I can use the heated water bowl to keep the water from freezing. It is a royal pain in th but and I usually ruin a cord a year (dog chews it, trip over it, or this year I took it out with the Christmas tree... don't ask :) ) Anyway I have really toyed with the idea of putting a solar panel unit on the roof of the kennel for the soul purpose of running the water buckets. In the warmer months maybe have a light out there that I could run off of it, but that would not be the primary use of it.

I am curious if anyone has set up this type of system, how difficult it is, how dependable it is and the expense involved.

Also how well do they do in cloud cover vs. bright sunny days? Cloud cover would be when I would need the power the most...
Thanks

#7 ·
^^ this I'd be digging a trench and laying a line... Solar isnt cheap and isnt going to create enough to keep water bowels open if it has to run 24-7 over winter months.. Most solar does a small job..

#3 · (Edited)
Does anyone have any experience with solar panels? For the past few winters I have ran a 100 Ft extension cord to the dog kennel So I can use the heated water bowl to keep the water from freezing. It is a royal pain in th but and I usually ruin a cord a year (dog chews it, trip over it, or this year I took it out with the Christmas tree... don't ask :) ) Anyway I have really toyed with the idea of putting a solar panel unit on the roof of the kennel for the soul purpose of running the water buckets. In the warmer months maybe have a light out there that I could run off of it, but that would not be the primary use of it.

I am curious if anyone has set up this type of system, how difficult it is, how dependable it is and the expense involved.

Also how well do they do in cloud cover vs. bright sunny days? Cloud cover would be when I would need the power the most...

Thanks
I have got solar panels.. They do generate electricity at considerably less price but cost of installation is very high..

#4 ·
I've always heard that using solar to power anything that produces heat (heater, iron, toaster, oven, etc.) would require some pretty large solar panels and some large capacity batteries.

You can do some math to determine how many panels you will need. My gut tells me that a few hours digging a trench might be the way to go.

#5 ·
from harbour frieght about 150. with coupon or 190. with out 400 watt inverter about 30.
Description
Solar panel kits are a great way to generate plenty of clean, quiet energy, using solar energy from the sun to run TVs, lights, computers, even recharge 12 volt DC batteries. Setting up this Thunderbolt Magnum solar panel kits is easy. The solar panel kit comes with three 15 watt solar panels - simply connect the solar panels to your own 12 volt DC storage battery, and then use at least a 300 watt power inverter (sold separately) to power your 120 volt AC appliances anywhere.

Three 15 watt solar panels produce clean, quiet energy
Lightweight, weatherproof construction
Amorphous silicon solar cells for maximum output in both bright and cloudy conditions
Voltage regulator has easy-to-read LED display, 12V cigarette lighter socket, 5V USB, 3-6-9V DC outlets and two 12V sockets for the included Light Kit
Includes mounting hardware, 12V Light Kit, battery terminal clamps and universal DC power adapter

Requires 12 volt storage battery and 300 watt power inverter (sold separately).
Specifications
Name Solar Panel Kit, 45 Watt
SKU 68751
Brand Thunderbolt Magnum Solar
Application TVs, Lights, Computers, And Recharging 12v Batteries
Number of Panels 3
Wattage (watts) 45
Product Height 36-21/50 in.
Product Length 12-21/50 in.
Product Width 3/4 in.
Accessories Included Mounting hardware, 12v light kit, battery terminal clamps and universal DC power adapter
Warranty 90 Day
Customer Reviews
Warranty
Product Manual

#6 ·
You generally do not directly convert solar energy to power output. You store it and draw down from that storage. The trouble with the Harbor Freight set up is that under optimum conditions it produces 45 watts which yields 3.75 amp hours of energy (45w/12v = 3.75 Ah).

A 12 volt 100 watt submersible water heater uses 8.3 Ah. You would have to store over two hours of solar energy for each hour of operation (or double the panels). With a good thermostat it is feasible but when you add in the cost of a high capacity battery (or two) it is more practical to dig the ditch.

Be careful though. Thousands of animals are electrocuted with 120 volt AC submersible water heaters every year. 12v systems are safer.

How do you now deliver water to the kennel? It may be more practical to preheat the water and run it through an insulated pipe to the kennel.

Your summertime solar lighting is altogether different. Costco sells inexpensive self contained solar lights that use LED low energy bulbs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.