RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Ellie is coming home from trainer! question....

3K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  FieldLab 
#1 ·
Ellie will have been at trainer for 6 months when she comes home. She was a calm, well mannered house dog when she left. Her drive is extremely high, trainer calls her a fire breather....

Question for you guys- What should i expect when she gets home? Transition from trainer back to staying in the house? This is the first pup I have ever sent to a trainer.

Thanks in advance for advice or experiences...

#2 ·
Expect a dog that is extremely happy to see you and wants to go out and train everyday.

#3 ·
I just got my first dog back from the trainer two weeks ago or so. The first few days I had my dad (retired) come let him out during the day while I was at work. That was done just as a precaution but other than that not a single issue. I did that because my friend got his pup back a few weeks before me and the first day his peed in the house while he was at work. Dogs quickly adapt and they’ll remember how it used to be.

Enjoy her coming back. it's funny how they remember all their favorite spots in the house, favorite trees in the yard, etc etc. The first time I let Blue back in from going potty he went right to the mudroom for a treat like he always did before. They remember!

#4 · (Edited)
1. Gastrointestinal adjustment. Even though you might feed the same food, the excitement, feeding schedule, different water, yard cooties, whatever it is,, can cause serious impact. I have photographic, 2 a.m, first night home, scrubbing-the-floors-and-walls proof.

2. A dog trained to a much higher standard than you're used to. Ideally, you would have spent time with the dog and your pro for him/her to point things out to you before bringing her home. The pro should at least explain to you on the phone what she should do, and what NOT to let her get away with, whether it's slow sits, lagging at heel, surging from heel, loopy sits, cheating, creeping, anything. Let all this slide and you just wasted 6 months of money and time you could have spent with your girl (depending on your original objectives).

#5 ·
Agree with the higher standard. Depending where you sent her, you'll probably be surprised at how good she listens. Try not to let that slip too much.

#8 ·
He will remember you and be glad to see u
But listen to above statements have a full understanding
Of what has been taught to your dog and how to get it
Out of him !!!! Because he will resort back to old ways !!
Keep the standards high and you will be amazed what he has
Learned and glad you did it

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.