RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Upset with Tritronics

18K views 85 replies 38 participants last post by  Jamee Strange 
#1 ·
A few days ago I posted something positive about TT. I take it all back. The tech referred me to Lion Co. who was supposed to have a TT Pro Control transmitter in stock.
This morning i called to check on my order and was told it was on backorder. The rep said they were expecting more late next week. I cancelled the order.

I called TT and asked about the status of the product. I was amazed at the answer. They were not taking any pre-orders because they didn't know if they would get any more of them. She wasn't sure that any more were going to be manufactored. They might have to wait until the Garmin replacement came out. An it was not even in production.

I am upset with these folks. So if I can't keep my present one limping along all my wingers are useless. Way to not serve your clients TT/Garmin.

#45 ·
I like most things about the Garmin Delta , EXCEPT that you cannot not change the prongs. They will not get through a huskies coat, I tried , nor some English setter coats. I have clients that have reported back that it was useless on his setter.

#49 ·
I like new technology too. When my old cell phone went belly up there was a new one on the market already.

#50 ·
I still wish I had my old original Nokia flip phone with a camera and flash. Never had a phone with better reception and sound quality.

#52 ·
I really hope the TT guys are passing these comments along. You all know they emailed Chris complaining about the influential thread? They complained that I wrote all you need to do is sign up and you get discounts and free stuff. This generated a ton of traffic on their website and I assume they weren't sure how they were going to turn folks down who they didn't feel we're qualified. So, I got the janitor phone call for the trouble and traffic I caused on their website.

Funniest part, I live at a kennel and all I've ever recommended to folks who ask is TT. Make matters even more humorous, they unfriended me on their Facebook page. Pretty interesting. I still use and will recommend the old collars. It's a great product. Funny I feel some sort of blame when I've never even complained about their collar products or service. Seems the IC's are doing plenty of that.

Anyways, I do know one thing, Garmin GPS units aren't made to last like a TT system and their Marine line of products is not favored or popular with anyone I know in the boating industry. (My neighbor ran Bayliner and Seaswirl and my buddy runs a high end marine install/repair shop)

If the Pro series goes and changes drastically I predict they'll go the same route as the other off brand collars and lose the 30+year loyal customers and many Pros. I saw one prominent Pro posted on FB he switched to Dogtra after 20 years of being with TT. I'm sure with these even perceived changes have Dogtra licking their lips.

#65 ·
I really hope the TT guys are passing these comments along. You all know they emailed Chris complaining about the influential thread? They complained that I wrote all you need to do is sign up and you get discounts and free stuff. This generated a ton of traffic on their website and I assume they weren't sure how they were going to turn folks down who they didn't feel we're qualified. So, I got the janitor phone call for the trouble and traffic I caused on their website.

Funniest part, I live at a kennel and all I've ever recommended to folks who ask is TT. Make matters even more humorous, they unfriended me on their Facebook page. Pretty interesting. I still use and will recommend the old collars. It's a great product. Funny I feel some sort of blame when I've never even complained about their collar products or service. Seems the IC's are doing plenty of that.

Anyways, I do know one thing, Garmin GPS units aren't made to last like a TT system and their Marine line of products is not favored or popular with anyone I know in the boating industry. (My neighbor ran Bayliner and Seaswirl and my buddy runs a high end marine install/repair shop)

If the Pro series goes and changes drastically I predict they'll go the same route as the other off brand collars and lose the 30+year loyal customers and many Pros. I saw one prominent Pro posted on FB he switched to Dogtra after 20 years of being with TT. I'm sure with these even perceived changes have Dogtra licking their lips.
Here's what's ironic Paul. Just last night, I forwarded the email of an RTF member asking me respectfully to see if I can get some sort of indication or intention from TriTronics for what the future holds for the Pro Series collars. I will send a follow up note based upon what you wrote above.

Frankly, Paul, I am less motivated to spend my efforts to try to garner meaningful information for RTF from TriTronics folks, when this sort of junk is getting repeatedly brought up on the board. (by you)

I'm going to suggest that you spend your energy focusing on some positive stuff. There is no productive reason for you to hang on to this silly stuff that happened months ago.

Happy New Year to you. Please let this baggage go.

You deserve to be happy with the products you use to train your dogs. We all do. I hope you find happiness.

Thanks, Chris

#53 ·
I too have a problem with Garmin. I wont even call them Tri Tronics anymore because I had nothing but Awesome service and products from TT. Not so much from Garmin.
Instead of complaining to Chris they should be asking the customers what the problem is and trying to work it out. I don't give **** about the free stuff although I very much appreciate the discount on purchases and repairs because I always recommend TT to all my clients or anyone that asks.
Yes the website change has been bothersome to me (kinda resembles Obamacare) and still have not been able to figure out how to get into the influential deal but I am patient with that. My problem is with a repair item. I had, and still have problems with a procontrol receiver. The problem is in the outlet for the plug. Plug doesn't fit tight and unless you twist and turn it or pull the wire to one side and keep a little pressure on it sometimes doesnt work. It's not the plug, I have switched receivers and equipment around and still have the same problem with same receiver and different equipment. Explained the problem and sent it in for repair. They sent it back with a new antenna:(:rolleyes::confused:. I may be a little ignorant at times but I'm not stupid and did plenty of trouble shooting before calling. I could see by the light that it was receiving signal when I pushed the button but the plug was not making connection. Even tried different antenna. This unit was still under warranty, not sure if it is now. Have not bothered to send it back figuring it is easier to make it work my way than the hassle of getting it fixed. Replace the antenna, really?
I certainly hope they don't mess with the pro series collars without asking plenty of good dog people their opinions. I for one will switch to Dogtra. I believe Dogtra builds quality products but I just don't like the way the equipment, collars or remotes, operate.
So Garmin if you are watching don't blame the poor janitor of this forum for complaints do something about it yourself, that's what I would do.

Steve Shaver
435-640-2543

#54 · (Edited)
Hey Steve - yeah replacing the antenna ain't gunna help the connection on the mono jack...wondering if you talked to them AFTER that & have they talked about replacing the unit under warranty..?? Certainly believe they should...

As for the other posts on more better technology - I've been asking for a foot control for the pro controls - possibly a bank of switches like you'd see with a trolling motor... I have times when I am doing "HRC style" setups and think it would be cool to have my transmitter foot controlled. Currently it's managing the shotgun, collar transmitter and pro control transmitter at the same time - just short one hand :) I tape the PC TX to the gun so I don't fumble...

I never saw the influentials thread but I'm going to make sure someone from the TT field reads this - pretty sure however they are...

One more thing - I was told they weren't changing the overall style or operation of the "tube" transmitters - lo/med/hi buttons remain etc... I agree that's one of my top 3 reasons to own one..!!!

SMO

#58 ·
That's cool they have the parts all available and so cheap.

#59 ·
I have a Dogtra collar and remote for my winger. Never had any TT stuff, but do have extensive garmin experience. I was a Garmin aviation products dealer from their start. Garmin is a 1st class company. They are innovators. A lot like Apple. They may currently be experiencing some bumps in the road, but in the end I think we will see big improvements.

#60 ·
I hope the call upon their aviation division and not their Marine Products for advice and leadership if that is true.

#61 ·
Shane, If you are knowegable about a Garmin replacement to the TT pro control transmitters, why doesn't the customer service reps know also? They are the first point of contact with the customers. Also apparently the major retailers don't know what's going on either.

Sounds like a communication issue to me.

#62 ·
Yeah can't tell ya - not that I don't want to I just don't know...

My guy told me they were releasing a new version of the PC TX in the spring and weren't messin with the pro/tube style (flyway etc)

It is very reasonable to me to believe that they discontinued that "sport" form factor so the PC TX would also go away - therefore it's pretty reasonable (again to me) to assume we'll have the new PC TX in something similar to the Delta transmitter - of course this is speculation but it's reasonable to me...

But what do I know...been trying to get them to build a foot pedestal for 6+ years and how about a quack option please - I digress...

SMO

#64 · (Edited)
From the information we have received, and continue to receive from Garmin, the TT legacy collars (field / pro series) will continue. The only collar change was to be from the sport series to the delta series.

In speaking to customer service yesterday, I brought up the question of the pro control and current availability. From what I gathered customer service is not saying too much as it sounds as if there may be a new product announcement at next week's SHOT show.

#66 ·
Have to agree with the fellers that said the Tri Tronics G3 systems are alot more user friendly than the Dogtra. The Dogtra Edge is quite robust,with a great charging system,but the manipulation of the nick/constant/range is not practical for a retriever trainer. I gave mine to my obedience trainer because he just needs nicks. The ramp up of the TT systems are light years easier to use the proper timing while correcting the retriever.

#69 ·
Hopefully Garmin is soliciting input from dog people that use their products when making changes. I think there is room for improvement on the sport models and the pro controls and not against change or improvements. I even have a suggestion or two on the pro series collars.
On the pro control I use the beep to get puppies to look out in the field to start with then use it if they need help on a mark, works great. A real duck sound on the Dogtra is good for hunt testers but I hate it for they way I use it because it just keeps quacking and distracts a young pup too much when using it when pup needs help. A single quack for each push of the button would be great. I sent TT a suggestion on the pro series collar a long time ago but don't know if it had any affect. I HATE the toggle switch. I have the 200 multi dog and always accidentally switching collars and getting a yip from a dog in the truck:confused:. On the 500 I would hate the toggle to switch from continuous to momentary that is why I buy the 200 instead of the 500. I suggested a slide switch on the side or the back instead of the toggle.
Im sure Garmin has people that know what they are doing. Hopefully they are asking people that use their products daily, I would if I were them.

#74 ·
Ok, the tire tracks from that bus have been washed off.

#77 ·
Sorry Chris, I don't really remebered that and we haven't talked in ages. As TT IC member and dealer I welcome feedback on the training tools I recommend to clients. For the past 20 years I've used TT collars, they have been the best on the market! Never sold or recommended anything else. It just appears you don't like negative comments regarding their programs or products and there has been some pretty negative feedback starting with the original poster. I will say I do two e collar seminars a year, one for ODFW, and I have no reason to switch products. As long as it's best on the market, I will use it.

/Paul

#79 ·
It would all stop if some member from Garmin/TT at least came on here or in some public forum, and told us where the company was headed, what lines were being done with, what ones were changing, that they really were really not doing anything with their Flagship Pro line etc, all we have now is nothing more then hear-say and a he said she said.

#81 ·
Here is what I can offer from the limited interaction with Tri-tronics:

Pheasant fest 2012 - Tri-tronics reps made it clear that Tri-tronics is not going away.

G3 Sport basic - phased out and replaced with a cheaper Garmin product (not sure who the product designers are, but I will not have a silver transmitter hanging around my neck in the duck blind)

Worried that I wasn't going to be able to get Tri-tronics anymore, I asked someone to contact their Tri-tronics rep for a price on a Flyway transmitter...the rep couldn't get a price and said they would have to get back to him.

Purchased a Flyway transmitter from on online store. The invoice showed that the transmitter was sent from Garmin directly to me...there was no indication of tri-tronics ANYWHERE on the invoice...simply model numbers. The only way to know that I had purchased anything tri tronics was the packaging on the actual items....

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that Tri-Tronics is being completely phased out and being replaced by Garmin...it's their company, they can do what they want, however, they are not starting out in a positive light, in my opinion. Get your Tri-Tronics stuff, now, boys and girls....it won't be around much longer, and who knows what the replacements are going to be like....

#83 ·
In case anyone cares, I had no problem ordering a new pro 500 G3 EXP today. Had contacted Warner Smith and he was exceedingly helpful! When I added it to the cart it took me to the Garmin website (which I thought made sense due to their merger/buyout). I guess we will see what I get when it arrives. Warner will remain my contact as he was helpful. He didn't say anything about the pro series going away when I asked him. I will update when I get my order.

#84 ·
There must be an RTF'r going to SHOT this week?? Walk into the Garmin booth and see what they're showing and talking about! I would but we're not there this year.

#85 ·
I would argue with anyone that Garmin makes the best gps units available to ordinary people ( some military people have better but not by much). I see no reason that they cannot keep up the same for tri tronics. I have used their products for almost 20 years, pretty much using the same model that has done nothing but steadily improved over the last 10 or so years. They have stood by what they say they will and had programs to fix/replace problems that were not theirs. Sometimes service was fast and sometimes slow. The biggest concern that I have with this acquisition of theirs is that they will ship those jobs out of the USA.

#86 ·
Got my order yesterday and am very pleased! Arrived in 2 days (was expecting it a few days later than that) and was exactly what I ordered. I ordered an additional collar strap and didn't have the option of ordering one of the TT ones and had to buy the one that fits the alpha collar. The invoice said Garmin on it and the collar strap said from China but the collar itself said US. Hope everyone else has good luck too. Happy training!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.