RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Tomorrow is the BIG day!!!!

5K views 27 replies 25 participants last post by  Kirk Major 
#1 · (Edited)
Tomorrow is the first ever hunt test for me and my pup!! I am so excited for this!!! Not really nervous yet cause i think Im looking at it as another day day of group training. But the flies always get me when gettin my girl outa the kennel!! It will be our first JH test and i do believe shes ready. I wanna throw out a thank you all here at RTF for all the reads and info here!!! In one way or another it has helped us both out one way or another. She is the first dog ive EVER trained and man what a ride!!! I've realized how much fun, rewarding and aggravating training a dog can really be. But the rewards tottally out wiegh the aggrivation!! I recon tomorrow will tell how well I've actually done?!?! Since starting this journey ive learned so much from RTF reading books and watching videos, this past Jan. I made a post here on RTF about training groups in KCMO. Low and behold Mr Greg Nelson stepped up and threw me an invite with him and his group and MAN what a ride its been!! He is really a stand up guy with a very diversified knowledgeable group that has help alot as well!! So know its off on our journey in the hunt test world!! So i must say Thank you to Greg for all youve sone and helped me (us) with!!! Thank you Jon and "Bella"

First stop Lincoln Neb!!!!

#3 ·
THis is going to be a huge day for both of you. How you run this test will determine how your dog percieves every other test you'll ever run.

I'm no pro, but here are some critical mistakes I made, and should have learned from:
1. Stay calm. Your dog can tell if you're anxious. Just relax.
2. Don't be afraid to ask a question. Judges at Junior tests know you're probably new at this, and most of the time they're really willing to help you out.
3. If the test doesn't go well, don't get dejected or lose your cool - there'll be another chance!

Good luck!

#4 ·
Good luck this weekend. You will really enjoy the ride you are about to embark on.

A few things I try to tell everyone when I am judging:

1. BREATHE.
2. DO NOT RUSH. You do not have to rush to the line, rush to call for the birds, rush to call for the second bird, etc. take your time. your dog will thank you, and you will thank yourself after you are done running.
3. ASK QUESTIONS - Do not be afraid to ask questions of the judges or fellow contestants. They will be very helpful.

And lastly, since you are in a test, make sure you follow the rules:
1. Do not talk to the dog after you call for the bird, until the judge calls dog or number. Then you can talk to him again.
2. GET THE BIRD. Although it is nice to have the dog heel to your side, and sit down, do not fuss over it. If your dog drops the bird, and picks it up, and you try to fuss with him, he may drop it again, and again, and again. Maintain your standard, but at the same time, just get the bird. You can work on all of that stuff at your next training session. I have seen a few people fail a test because they wanted to be perfect, and as a result, they continued to pick and fuss at their dog to have him hold the bird, heel properly sit down, etc. and in the end, the dog dropped the bird and would not pick it up. If they had just grabbed the bird when he got to them, they would have passed. Sometimes, this is because of handler nerves. The dog can feel them, and gets nervous themselves, and in the end, you may walk away saying "he never did that before"... It has happened to quite a few of us, if not all of us.

AND LASTLY. GOOD LUCK.

#6 ·
Good luck and have fun!

#13 ·
Zman is telling you the truth! Another thing is the dog you brought today isn't the dog you were training on Thursday or some similar wording with the same meaning. Nerves are catching and why would we do this without them? Have fun and be sure to show appreciation for the other dogs no matter their relative performances. You are joining a select group. JR Hunt Test junkies!

#16 ·
Just 4 years ago I was in the same place you are. I now have two dogs running in field trials, my wife has left me, my kids have disowned me and I owe my soul to Gun Dog Supply but man am I having a GREAT time.

#18 ·
That is awesome. Congratulations! And the hook is set :)

#19 ·
Good luck and have fun

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.