RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Cc questio!

2K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  steve schreiner 
#1 ·
I started cc with my 14 month old pup today and saw a few disturbing sighns. This is my first pup and i really dont wanna mess her up. I am following lardys so i am startting to cc to sit with a trittonics 70classic.(flyway coming in friday) when we started it wz on a level 3 and she yelped pretty loud. After this i turned it down to a 2. I know lagging is going to occur, but what about tucking her tail and acting scared? And confused? Is this just a beginning reaction we can work through? Even after we were done she acted scared and didnt wanna leave my side? And i didnt use over a level 3. Are these normal reactions.

thanks

#2 ·
this can be a bitch over the internets as none of us can see you or your dog.
with no E-collar just regular buckle, choke or prong, can you have your girl sit, on a 6 foot leash and walk around her in a circle without her getting up? If not, work on OB a bit more before CC. Next, in the palm of your hand does the level 3 stim of your collar feel about the same as the thump of your heeling stick you normaly beat your dog with? Is your girl a bouncy trouncy put her head through the sheetrock type or a mellow sensitive little lady? Are you a member of a retriever club at all? With an experianced person who could stand at your side?

#3 ·
She has been completley through basics without force. Tt,swimby,and we had begun pb. I was try the amish way, but soon figured after a while the collar is a tool i need so i can force. My pup is a verry calm dog. And verry sensitive. After i shocked her she just acted scared and confused. Im not talkin run away type scared just a tail tuck and verry laggy. Just dint wanna mess her up.

Thanks

And closest pro is 2 hrs away. So nobody to watch me.

#5 ·
She has been completley through basics without force. Tt,swimby,and we had begun pb. I was try the amish way, but soon figured after a while the collar is a tool i need so i can force. My pup is a verry calm dog. And verry sensitive. After i shocked her she just acted scared and confused. Im not talkin run away type scared just a tail tuck and verry laggy.....

OK, this is good. You have a smart sensitive girl. This is the type of dog E-collars allow to excel. As they couldent handle getting shot with the shot gun and rat shot like years ago. Use the lowest setting you can, and still get a correction. Be mindfull not to nag.

#6 ·
Why did you start with a 3? Confusion at first is normal. Your job is to act normal, praise for doing a good job and read the dog. A 3 is good size correction so back it off, remember at first its a learning process so lots of success and reward.

/Paul

#7 ·
Thanks for all the help, started on a 3 bc lardy starts ob a 4 in the video and i knew my dog was sensitive. So i backed off one. She preforms all commands still just acts sad while doing so. Ears back and tAil a little tucked no wagging.

#8 ·
Ah. Another vote for videos!. No two dogs are the same. Best to put the collar on, let him run around a bit, get used to it, and then try a 1. If you see reaction from the dog, ears go up, tail stops wagging, dog pauses and looks around then you know he feels it. Work up from there. Eventually the dog will no doubt get up to those levels as he gets used to it however test it out on your dog. Lardy has the experience and knowledge to read dogs and know where to start. Better a bit cautious at first....

/Paul

#9 ·
Good advice so far - Keep in mind that Lardy transitions collar force from stick force. That is, stick sit establishes force, teaches the dog how to react to the force, THEN gets gradually replaced by collar force. You need to show the dog that the collar correction is to hasten the sit and that it comes from you. A burn out of the blue won't accomplish that. Work on walking at heal and using "sit"-stick-"sit" while mixing in freebies, then introduce the collar once stick response is stable by mixing "sit"-nick-"sit" into the drill. Praise for quick response, correct for slow response so you make the expectation clear.

#10 ·
I started cc with my 14 month old pup today and saw a few disturbing sighns. This is my first pup and i really dont wanna mess her up. I am following lardys so i am startting to cc to sit with a trittonics 70classic.(flyway coming in friday) when we started it wz on a level 3 and she yelped pretty loud. After this i turned it down to a 2. I know lagging is going to occur, but what about tucking her tail and acting scared? And confused? Is this just a beginning reaction we can work through? Even after we were done she acted scared and didnt wanna leave my side? And i didnt use over a level 3. Are these normal reactions.

thanks

Very typical reaction to too much pressure ....period ...any type pressure ,not just collar...
Your dog is just out of balance,,,don't worry ...Go back to getting the dog working again ( may need to spice things up during the drill) with just a lead and collar..Don't make the drill mundane and dull for the dog....Leave the electric one on the dog , just don't stimulate...until the dog is back to normal behavior and then try again with less pressure..Steve S

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.