RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Fall Jamboree Sept 21-22, 2013 Pools Knob Wildlife Management Area LaVergne, Tn

17K views 82 replies 18 participants last post by  duk4me 
#1 ·
Well a late start but the 2nd Annual Jamboree will be held at the Pools Knob Wildlife Management area Sat. and Sun. Sept 21-22. On that weekend, the grounds have been reserved and paid for by the Middle Tn. Amataur Retriever club. Since the date falls so close to the Master National, and nothing has been scheduled, the club has decided that the date could be used as a training day with all guests invited.

Here is where we stand so far. With my own equipment and frozen ducks, I intend to have a setup consisting of 5 marks with wingers in such a manner that a dog at any HT level will be able to train. That setup will be ready by 7am SHARP Sat. 21st. Another individual, barring conflicts also has equipment and ducks ect that he has offered to come with his equipment. This is the kind of support that is needed. Another trainer who was at the last Jamboree also will come if he does not have a conflict with a HT.

Chris attended the 1st Jamboree and was an integral part in making it successful. For me personally. it was a great opportunity to meet Chris and learn some of the history of the creation of the RTF. I sent a PM asking for his advise and input as to how to proceed. Rather than paraphrasing his response, I will send him an e-mail asking him to respond on this thread concerning his position as to support and participation of the RTF and him personally. As to sponsorship, I don't believe there needs to be any sponsors. That DOES NOT MEAN that anybody or any organization can't PARTICIPATE. He did say that he preferred that the term "RTF" not be included in the name of the Jamboree. Other than that I will let Chris respond.

I must say that I was stunned by the beauty of Ken's Maple Syrup Decanters and the detail of the tags HE created. Given Chris' feelings concerning the use of "RTF" in the name of the Jamboree, I would hope that Ken could modify the tags if they so state. What a GREAT job. I can't pass up letting them sit idle. So from now on I will call this the 2nd Annual Jamboree in Recognition of Ken's Vermont Maple Syrup. Personally I would like the name of the Jamboree to be The Annual Maple Syrup Jamboree. We have no rules and no BOD, only consensus of opinions, so what do you all think?

To each and all of you, I will personally commit to have those 5 marks set up so that there is something for all levels of dogs from beginning to finished to be able to run something. I think that can be done and that WILL be done.

Last but not least, I don't like failure but I am not affraid of it. What is needed are those who feel the same way and are willing to participate and make this thing grow. I need volunteers and people who want to participate and jump at the opportunity to meet new people and make new friends. No idea is not worth considering. It may be in conflict with other ideas and it may not be possible but ideas are what something like this is all about. I'M LISTENING and I am hoping to hear from those who don't fear failure and those who want to participate.

How about it?

See less See more
#59 ·
So, we are a week out. What's the latest. Who's going? Coming? To Nashville -Smyrna for the Fall Training Jamboree?

I'm out for Saturday for sure. Sunday is a possibility, but only that.

But, good grounds, plenty of water, dead ducks and an opportunity to meet some of the folks you banter with online... Come on out! Let Cary know on this thread if you are coming... All are welcome!

#63 ·
Bob, you do realize how important you were at the 1st jamboree, don't you? I guess it will have to be photos by committee. I will have my camcorder and will try to get some movies with dogs, but I have been known to have problems operating it and gotten no recordings. I will promise to do the best I can and sollicite as MUCH help as possible. Wish me luck.:)

#64 ·
Well the day got off to a messy start. It was raining early in the morning and had been raining most of the night. Nevertheless, my great friend and I were there by 6:40am. Even though there was still a light rain, we proceeded to set up. We ran land first with a poison bird with the blind under the arc. The bird was thrown right to left at about 100 yrds and the blind was about 160 yrds at the base of a tree along a fence line. I also set up a blind tight behind the gunner which went up a hill and into a wide open area at about 180-200 yds. All but me chose to run the blinds but without the poison bird. I guess that is something I like to do quite often to demand decipline in that the dog has to run tight to the bird when running the blind.

Given the line, the marks were set up about the length of a FT Q. Left bird thrown R to L at about 180 yds. from behind a brush pile in the middle of a big field. Middle bird at about 220-250 thrown R to L from the edge of a tree line that juts out into the field. The right bird at about 150 yds. thrown L to R into a little cove along the tree line. The right bird and middle bird were fairly tight. The field had been strip cut but the cover was still medium to fairly heavy.

Different people chose to run them different ways. Some ran as singles; some ran the right and left bird as a double and then ran the middle bird as a single. We did wind up tying white steamers to the birds because given the weather and background, they were very hard to see. I do believe each handler did a good job choosing a manner of running the marks that based on the level of the dog, challenged them but also taught the dog. Each handler seemed to be happy with what they tried to accomplish.

Later in the day, the sun came out and the rain gear came off. We then went to water. Three marks and a blind. The blind was away from the marks, but crossed two fairly short points then to the base of a group of trees with the blind to the very left of the trees. Getting the dogs on the points and then off was the meat of the blind. It was about 160 yds. Left mark at about 160-170 yds thrown R-L at the end of a channel. Middle bird thrown L-R angled back into a little cut out of woods at about 130 yds. The right bird thrown R-L at about 110 yds over a levee into a 2nd body of water that was a cheating mark from the line. The dog had to get into the water tight to the shore then get up on the levee then into a pond of water on the other side of the levee. That middle bird was along the edge of the little pond over the levee into the cut out of the woods along the left edge of the pond over the levee. To give you an idea of how tough it could be, here is what my chocolate girl did. I threw the birds L-R. Molly did not cheat the water but when she got up on the levee, she cut left around the pond and I thought the little sh$t was going to pick up the middle bird instead of the go bird. But then she just cut back to the right into the water and picked up the go bird. At first I thought it might be considered a switch since she got close to the middle bird. But when I sent her to the middle bird she pinned it. Oh well. On the left bird, she wanted to get out early and I had to cast her back into the chanel afte a correction.

I wasn't the only one who was surprised. A friend of mine who ran it also had trouble. After picking up the go bird, his dog wanted the long left bird. Since he was training he insisted that he pick up the middle bird. When he veered of to go for the long bird, he called him back and resent him. Just telling this to let all know that it was a challenging setup.

The grounds and water were great. I also believe that all felt that a lot was accomplished training- I know I did.

Ken, those who got a bottle of your Maple Syrup are really licking their chops. I just drew names out of a hat. One person has already tasted it and wants to know where it came from. He wants to know if you sell it. Will PM you later about it. I must admit that I kept one of the bottles myself. My true desire is to keep it and give it as a gift to the next person that hosts the 3rd Jamboree. It is my goal to sign up as the 1st person commiting to attend.

You know how much I thought of your effort. People who have an idea and the initiative to follow throuh with their ideas are those whom I have the highest respect. Again I want to thank you for your effort and support.

To whoever hosts the 3rd Jamboree, I will be there with your bottle of Ken's Maple Syrup. To whoever comes, I LOOK FORWARD to meeting you and watching your dog or dogs run

Cary

#69 ·
To those who wanted to come and for some reason were not able to come, I wish it had worked out differently. As I have said, when I went to the first Jamboree, I did not know a single person who was there. In fact I was reluctant to go but went because Stan asked me. To my surprise I DID get in some very good training. Very little standing around listening to people talking about how they trained. The theme was get your dog out and TRAIN!

Even though I have many books and videos, there is nothing like training with both pros and amateurs alike, something I have been so lucky to be able to do. To those who are starting this journey, I can't tell you how important it is to see and train with those who have experience. To those who do have the experience, I hope you realize how much you can help those just beginning.

Two years ago, I had muddled through training and had managed to get seasoned titles on my two girls. I wanted to go south for the winter and Bill Autey was kind enough to allow me to train with him during that time. After a time he set up a poisoned bird to be run. When I told him that neither my dogs nor I had ever run one, he said "get your dogs and RUN it"! Later on he set uup 4 marks to be run as a Double-Double( I guess that is what you call it). When I complained that my dogs had not even run a triple yet, he again said "get your dogs out and run it"! Another time when I got upset with myself for making a mistake, he told me "get your head out of your A$$, you have another dog to run". He made me realize that my dogs wern't the problem, I WAS THE PROBLEM. What lessons he taught me. So much did I learn from him. So much I have since learned from those that I have been able to train with.

When I came back home, I ran back to back weekends with one girl going 4 for 4 in finished,getting her title and the other going 3 for 4 and her failure was MY FAULT. I give so much credit to Bill for my girls' success, something that I can never repay him. This was just the start for me and now I am so lucky to be able to train with many who are more experienced that I.

I can't do anything for those who have helped me but maybe I can help someone who is just beginning in some small way. That is my goal.

I saw the Jamboree as something that I might be able to do just that. Maybe there is a better way but I do know there is a real need to help those who are beginning this journey. I know club training days are part of the answer but you will only see the same people.

I know that there are many on this forum that are smarter than me, have more knowledge and ability than me, and have ideas that could address helping those who are just beginning. I do hope someone will step forward to make this wondersul sport more satisfying to those beginning.

#75 ·
Wow!
What an offer! and what a great post in front of the offer.
To whom ever takes Cary up on this and hosts the 3rd.
I will make sure you have something from me to use as landowner thanks or anything you want.
Roadkill, the seed you planted has sprouted! Good Job!
when all was said and done Cary, how many dogs and people did you have? was this one larger than the first?

#79 ·
for anyone who may be wondering, halls, tennessee is one of the continents fine small towns of storied waterfowling lore. when the conditions are right, there is not a better area anywhere in the world to kill greenheads. if you have never hunted in a "west tennessee" blind it will likely be an amazing experience for you. many west tenn blinds have ALL the comforts of home including full kitchens, baths, satellite tv, recliners and sleeping areas just behind the massive "shooting decks".

i lived in west tennessee twice. i have maintained waterfowling friendships with buds who hunt the forked deer(pronounced for-kid) and obion river bottoms. when these friends call and say, "brother it's on, drop what you are doing and get here!" i always go!

cary......is your sister married?;-)

#80 ·
John, yes my sister is married and lives in Winter Park Fl. They come up in the summer. The blind on the Forked Deer River is between Halls and Gates, on the middle fork. The other blind is on my farm about 5 miles SE of Dyersburg jut off Pond Creek. My blinds are not nearly that fancy. built for basically 4 people which is all I really like to hunt with. I am one that if I have the choice of taking my gun or my dog, I will take my dog and you can shoot the ducks:D

I believe that Stan is planning on having a Jamboree in the spring either in upper Mo. or Iowa. Not totally sure yet. I know I keep harping on it, but he and Pals really did a great job with the 1st one. The training was great and I loved the opportunity to make new friends. I have no doubt that he will again put on a great one.

Ken and I have talked about the need to get those who are beginning to train their 1st dog, to see how those who are experienced, train. I am sure some clubs do a great job getting those involved but wonder if we might improve. I actually see this as a way that might give some insight to clubs to put a higher priority on these new people. Just a thought of mine. I have even wondered if 2 clubs in close proximity to each other might put something on like this. I belong to both an HRC and AKC club. How neat it would be if an AKC and HRC clubs went in togather and put one on! Just a thought.

If I am able, I know that that would warrant another duck hunting trip:).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.