RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Hunt test?????

6K views 24 replies 22 participants last post by  John Lash 
#1 ·
What does a pup have to do to get started on attaining their titles? I recon what im askin is for a puppy to get its JR title what does he/she have to do?? Can he /she get the title in one weekend? The way i understand it they must do like 4 things and them theyed get the title?? So can they do all 4 in one weekend at one test or like 4 different HTs???? Im tottally new to all this and trying to learn!! Thanks Jon

#2 ·
Must pass 4 tests. Each test is a day, some clubs would have a double, 1 test on Sat and one on Sunday. Each test the dog must retrieve 2 land and 2 water marks as singles. The dogs must deliver to hand on each retrieve. You can walk to the line on lead then hold collar till dog is released by the judge. Pass 4 tests and get a JH. Strongly recommend reading the AKC rules and knowing them well prior to running a test, also training with a group.

Good luck with your pup.

#3 ·
For AKC events the beginner level title is Junior Hunter (JH). Here is the link to the rules and requirements:

http://images.akc.org/pdf/rulebooks/RHTRET.pdf

You must pass four separate tests. Some clubs will have two JH tests in one weekend, so the quickest you could get your JH would be two weekends with double JH events, if everything goes well.

Read the requirements, and if possible find a local test you can go watch before you try to enter your dog.

Meredith

#5 ·
Seeing Gordy's reply, bring to mind the question, what kind of title are you after? There is the AKC hunt test program, and the UKC hunt test program. There are slight differences in the way the tests are run. The dog must be registered with the organization you are trying to title with. Information about both is available on the internet and here at RTF... let us know which title you're interested and we'll be able to help you better. :)

#6 · (Edited)
The dog is registered thru AKC and can be done thru UKC whatever it takes. This is my first dog ive trained and so far so good (so i think....and a few friends). Any way my goal is a MH for starts and well go from there!!!! Just seems pricey for all the times one must enter let alone travel expenses to reach each level, i dont give a DAMN about winning moneys but just to try for these titles wow!!! Dont laugh when i show up in a CAR with the pup in the BACK SEAT lmao!!!! And again i may not be really understanding all this just yet. Thank you all so much for the info!!

#10 ·
There's plenty of room in the sport for hobbyists like us. For the first year or two, my stray dog n I were in a car. Nobody laughed (not even at my good jokes)

Come on in, the water's fine :D

Most likely it will take you at least 2 weekends to earn your first title (Sat, Sun + another Sat, Sun)

#17 ·
They COULD get it in one weekend, but will most likely take at least two weekends. Look for "doubles" meaning two tests in the same day at the same place... See the link below ... This was a question I had a few months ago... Luckily, my dog went 4 for 4!

http://www.retrievertraining.net/fo...nior-Hunt-Test-Question&p=1013994#post1013994
I see on EE that theres a test in Kansas and it looks to have 2 JH test that weekend but the others in my not so close suroundings dont show it!! Im doing this to show myself that we have what it takes to do what im thinking we can do!!! Remember a first timer!!!!!!!!!! Its been a ride so far and has been the most enjoying hobby ive EVER had BY FAR!!!!!!!!!! It is so nice to see the dog develop before your eyes and when you started you didnt know a DAMN thing about TRAINING a dog!!!!!! Thanks again Y'all

#12 ·
Don't be concerned about being new to the hunt test scene and don't ever let anyone make you feel that you don't belong. Remember, the hunt test program was designed for amateur trainers, people just like you and me, to be able to campaign our dogs without the pressures associated with the field trial game. Most people understand this and will welcome you and your dog to the event. Just have fun and enjoy your dog!

#13 ·
When I first started I drove a Honda Accord with Flash in the back seat! :)

#14 ·
I have shown this before but I will show it again. This is my very first hunt test with my very first lab. This is the water series and I was so nervous that when the judge said the number 9 to send my dog I called my dog 9 to release her. WE PAST:D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1cHW6r9qZQ

#15 ·
yep....try being a female new to it, driving up in a porsche SUV with a fluffy show golden.....
Met lots of awesome people.
Had a blast.
Hooked on it for sure!

#16 ·
Many of us started out in this game with minimal knowledge. Started with a 1963 Dodge Dart 2 dr with dog loose in the back seat. Dog chewed up my arm rests. Lived in a urban area in a two flat rental trained at city parks. Ordered a live duck and shackled it, used it for training. No resource people for about a year, James Lamb Free Training Your retriever and a kid brother, wife throwing for me. No RTF or DVD . We all started somewhere and the beginings of the now experts would surprise everyone including some very prominent pros. Sat in the sun about 80 degrees holding sixmonth old puppy waiting to run a puppy stake, didn't know about signing up with a marshal. Series was over judge Sally Venerable came up to me, thought I was just watching, they let me run my dog, couldn't find bird went home. My 30 dollar puppy needed more training I figured.

#18 ·
If we are all honest we would warn you against the endeavor because of where it leads you. That being said, read the rules and then get with a group to train some and pick their brains and get their opinion as to whether your pup is ready or not. I, at least, have the tendency to think my dog is better that she really is when it comes time to start or move up. I probably started too soon with my pup and still have control problems at the line sometimes. Rushing in without the basics well in hand hurts.

#19 ·
Just to add a couple of things. First welcome to the Hunt Test world. You will have fun, we can tell already! Don't worry about the car thing, lots of folks drive their car to the hunt test, myself included. Good advice on knowing the rules too. Now, remember if your goal is MH you don't have to get title at EACH level. You can go play at JH get a couple of passes and move to SH get a couple and then do MH. You can maybe save some money that way?? Just wanted to make sure you don't need those titles per say. I would also let the marshall know that it is your 1st time, most are willing to give you a heads up on what is going on and help you out. Judges too for that matter. Go early even if you have a late number so you can watch. If you get a super early number and yoou need extra dogs to watch talk to the marshall they may help you out. Have fun! It is so fun! Good luck to you!

#24 ·
Everybody has to start somewhere, and if you're willing to listen and take advice, there are so many nice people in the Hunt Test world that will help you along the way. Join your local club, find a good training group and be prepared to become as obsessed as the rest of us :)

Last December, I told a friend that I wanted to try "that retriever thing" with my Chesapeake, didn't have a clue. I've technically done all the training myself, but couldn't even begin to thank everyone that has helped me or given me advice. We've finished his UKC Seasoned title, need 1 more AKC Senior pass for that title, and plan to run his first Finished and Master tests in March.

Oh, and I'll be running that Master test out of my little Scion.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.