RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Famous Labs with White Spots on Their Chests?

16K views 61 replies 37 participants last post by  2tall 
#1 ·
RTF'ers,

I've recently whelped a litter of puppies and intend to keep a female as a hunting companion and potential future brood bitch. Of the four females in the litter three of them have a small white spot on their chest. Ideally, I'd rather not keep a pontential breeding bitch with a white spot, but there are a lot more important things to consider when evaluating the pups.

So, I thought it might help me put things in perspective if you folks could tell me about famous Labs who had white spots on their chests. Do you have any candidates for the list?

Swack

#2 ·
Didnt Timex have a spot on his chest?
(NFC Vinwoods Take a Lick'in) hope i didnt get that wrong.:)

Probably would depend on the size of the spot. Keeping in mind the puppy grows and the spot doesnt usually.

#5 ·
So, I thought it might help me put things in perspective if you folks could tell me about famous Labs who had white spots on their chests. Do you have any candidates for the list?
Swack
I think you may be fishing in a pond devoid of fish. I can recall two with large white blazes on their chest who were moderately successful field trial dogs but far from famous.

#8 ·
Depending on the size, most small spots aren't visible in adult dogs. If the dog had correct type, bone, coat, movement, angles, temperament, retrieving ability, passes all their clearances, etc (not in that particular order mind you), a bit of white on the chest (which is allowable in the standard!) would be the LAST thing I'd worry about.

#9 ·
Of the four females in the litter three of them have a small white spot on their chest. Ideally, I'd rather not keep a pontential breeding bitch with a white spot

75 % with a blaze??? I think you already have issues with your "Breeding Stock"

All the threads lately on what a Lab should look like "Bench vs Field" none suggested that a Lab should be spotted.

Jeff, being the historian and purest that you are I'm surprised you'd even ask that question.....Let alone consider reproducing that trait.

Flame on......I'll crawl back under my rock now

#11 ·

75 % with a blaze??? I think you already have issues with your "Breeding Stock"

All the threads lately on what a Lab should look like "Bench vs Field" none suggested that a Lab should be spotted.

Jeff, being the historian and purest that you are I'm surprised you'd even ask that question.....Let alone consider reproducing that trait.

Flame on......I'll crawl back under my rock now

Rnd,

I thought the question might make for interesting conversation and an opportunity to learn if there have been Labs who became famous inspite of the "disability" of having a few white hairs on their chest. Since you are figuring percentages, there were three pups in a litter of seven with white on them. That equates to 42.857% of the litter. I was just "lucky" that all of the white spots happened to be on the girls.

You are welcome to your opinion and you may believe there are issues with my breeding stock if you wish. I think I'd rather have a few white hairs on my puppies chests than many other issues that could occur.

However, you have me reconsidering my position. Perhaps I should have bucketed those defective puppies and kept quiet so you folks wouldn't find out that my bitch has thrown puppies with white spots! I guess I didn't realize how serious an issue it was!

Swack

#10 ·
Got a pup for my kids for Christmas that had a large white blaze. He is now 7 months old and it is almost totally gone. VERY well bred pup with a black father and yellow mother.

#13 ·
#15 ·
I can remember asking Mrs Charley Bjork if FC-AFC-CFC Carnmoney Billy Jo was registered. Her very polite reply to me was "Yes, he is, & he's a pretty good dog." His blaze was as big as a very large dinner plate on a larger than life chest.

I think that if you looked at a lot of yellows carefully, you would see white on them more often than not.

#16 ·
Swack,
Not famous, but I own a beautiful (to me) dark yellow bitch that, at 7 weeks, had a quarter sized white spot on the top of her head that disappeared by the age of 5 months. Also own a black bitch(3 FC siblings) that had a white ring around the base of her tail and a black male with a small white spot on his chest. The spots on all 3 went away.

#17 ·
Not famous but a guy in our duck club owns a very nice black male that is GRHRCH with MN passes. A beautiful, very large dog that is well proportioned. Absolute poetry in motion at a test. I am not familiar with his health clearances or his pedigree but from a pure performance standpoint he is a machine. No breedings or planned breedings I am aware of. My buddy actually wants to breed for the blaze.

#19 ·
My blf has a little white spot on her chest. It got smaller as she grew. My ylm has a black spot on the back of his thigh, and one or two of his littermates had them, too, in different places. He has 10 pups, and none of them have a spot.

#20 ·
this is good to know...i was curious if those dogs with spots passed it along to their pups - those that have spots that have bred their dogs (in additon to this one) please comment on IF/HOW MANY of the pups had white spots. Mine has a small white spot, but she sure doesn't know it....and not slowing here down. Neither of her GRHRCH parents or her NAFC grandparents had the white spot, so certainly curious how this spot comes about.

thanks

#27 ·
Is an NFC famous enough? NFC Abes Ebony and Ivory ? I heard he did-
Im not trying to post false info- I believe this was true- and fwiw- I bred to a son of his, who has produced white marks (not just my litter) as well.
The pups in my litter ,two had white on their chests and some had bolo spots on the feet. Couldnt be happier with my girl- no white chest but has some bolo on both front feet backs

#28 ·
#30 ·
To the OP, Why don't you just raise those spotted pups and see how they come along? If they are outstanding in all other respects, successful in whatever venue you run, healthy and sound, make the decision then! You don't just choose Mama dogs by pedigree alone right? They have to bring lots of other stuff to the table. I think we know that white spots don't stop them from excelling.:)

#31 ·
Thanks to all who have responded. Rnd was the most irritating of the replies, but he at least has paid enough attention to label me as a "purist". That may be an accurate assessment. As a purist, all I want is perfection! However, I know those little white spots are way down the list of priorities. They won't be much of a factor in my selection. Maybe just a tie-breaker if there are two pups that are equal in other regards.

Carol, I can only do justice to one puppy at a time. I think I'll be able to make an educated guess at 7-8 weeks as to which of the females I favor. The title "Brood Bitch" won't be bestowed upon the little tyke at that time. She will have to earn it over time as she grows and learns, passes (or fails) health clearances and hunt tests, and is compared to other young bitches that are auditioning for the part. While I'd rather not have a white spot on a brood bitch, I've had more than one excellent Lab who possessed one. It's not a deal breaker!

Swack

#35 ·
I think it should be obvious that there's a genetic component to it. Or else it would not be showing up. Because it goes away on the outside does not mean it goes away on the inside. Is it bad? Depends on how much looks means to you. I would think a "purist" should not want any spots. Of course, we all have ways of changing our opinions when it becomes personal. See ya in the field. Harry

#37 ·
I've been reading with great interest, and losing hope a little.

For some reason, I really want a black dog with a white diamond on his chest; I always have. My yellow has one--and definitely, not just a shading. When I discovered it, I considered it a very good sign. I would put the white diamond (and it would have to be the perfect shape and size!) last on my list of priorities, for sure, but if all other things were equal or impossible to determine, I'd take the one with the white spot.

Don't ask me why. If there's a reason, it's because of some odd firing in the synapses from a memory of a picture I once saw. :)

#38 · (Edited)
NAFC-FC Dee's Dandy Dude.

Evan

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.