RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Duck Hunting in a pit blind with dog

14K views 47 replies 14 participants last post by  huntinman 
#1 ·
How do you line your dog for a blind retrieve when hunting out of a pit blind?

I have been getting him out of the dog box with a "back", then sitting him with the whistle, and casting him to the duck. This works great but my only issue with it is that I am creating a popping expert. He has learned to run out 10 yards and turn around for his next move. This is great when hunting but it's not gonna be so great when we start running our seasoned test.

I understand that we can train away from the habit after season is over but I am hoping to get some advice on a better way to do this and create less problems.

Thanks!

#2 ·
My dog watches what way we shoot so he has a good idea where they fall when he jumps out of the pit. But if it is multiplei birds he will heel next to me on the ground while I'm in the pit and I stick my arm out and point what way to go. I always stand on the end of the pit.

#5 ·
I do the same thing as above. Also, I put my dog in a dog blind outside the pit (rather than inside) so he doesn't have to run a whole bunch of blinds.

#9 ·
I use a dog so I dont have to get out of the pit.

If I had to get out of the pit everytime to send the dog I miles well just leave the dog at home and pick up the bird myself.

#12 ·
Thanks for the replies. I agree that for trial/ hunt test purposes it is best to get out and line the dog. For hunting purposes, when the action is heavy, it's not realistic to get out of the blind everytime. I guess I was hoping for some sort of jaw dropping advice. The best case I guess I can hope for is that he learns the difference between the two. This has been his first real hunting season and its amazing how fast he picked up the ins and outs of hunting. I even had to laugh out laugh out loud when he started dropping the birds at the front of the pit and hurrying back to the dog box to wait on the next group of birds to start working the hole. For me it felt like we were in sync together and getting the job done. In my opinion he was doing what he was bred to do but had this season been a hunt test we wouldn't have any ribbons.

I have to admit if we had not trained for a hunt test standard he would not be half the dog he is today and this season would have been disastrous. Thanks again!

#30 ·
I have noticed that some people like to train while hunting and others do not.
The truth is that you cannot do anything with your dog without training him. He is going to draw conclusions about his world and how to behave in it whether you like it or not.
When you send him without giving a line he will be confused and as a result, will pop. Repeat it enough and he will pop every time whether you line him or not. This behavior will frequently get so bad that the dog will not carry any kind of cast more than ten feet or so before popping thus making it impossible to complete a blind retrieve.
Let him continue to drop the birds on the ground in front of you while hunting and he will do the same at a test or trial. Both of these faults will ensure you will not be called back for the next series.
The same goes for allowing pup to skirt water and/or cover.
If you intend to run any kind of structured retriever game you will need to train for it year round and that means especially when hunting.

#32 ·
I have noticed that some people like to train while hunting and others do not.
The truth is that you cannot do anything with your dog without training him. He is going to draw conclusions about his world and how to behave in it whether you like it or not.
When you send him without giving a line he will be confused and as a result, will pop. Repeat it enough and he will pop every time whether you line him or not. This behavior will frequently get so bad that the dog will not carry any kind of cast more than ten feet or so before popping thus making it impossible to complete a blind retrieve.
Let him continue to drop the birds on the ground in front of you while hunting and he will do the same at a test or trial. Both of these faults will ensure you will not be called back for the next series.
The same goes for allowing pup to skirt water and/or cover.
If you intend to run any kind of structured retriever game you will need to train for it year round and that means especially when hunting.
Every field experience has a "teachable moment", though the bulk of training should be done prior to the hunt. I do train in the field, mostly cuz there is more opportunity and time with dog there.

#33 ·
My dog is in a dog blind beside the pit, or in one of the boxes behind and can see marks...... Otherwise wagon wheel drills. I spent some time this fall on slow days doing wagon wheel drills me in the blind dog out of it...... A while on one end with right heel, a while on left side left heel....

#47 ·
Yes I have a lot I handle him to a area blow the sit whistle tell him hunt it up. He circles the area. If he gets out of the area I handle him back to the are. Right left and back. I either watch or listen to the weeds move.
My dog has retrieved 1000's of birds he knows the routine.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.