RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Looking for training Ponds in the Lafayette area!

Tags
lafayette
4K views 24 replies 15 participants last post by  Raymond Little 
#1 ·
Hi, My name is James Howell and I am a 25 year old young trainer that moved to the Lafayette area. I have two Labs that I am looking to continue their training to prepare them for hunt test in the fall. If anyone has any information of what I can do or where I can go I would greatly appreciate it. I very much willing to train with a group as well. Trying to show my dogs as many different looks as I can before hunt test start.

Thanks,
James Howell

#8 ·
there is aKOA campground just off I-10, and martin lake se of town. You might try those
Rip rap along bank of KOA lake excludes it as an option and alligators in Lake Martin I think should cancel it out also.;)
Maybe the OP will chime in one day as to what state he lives in so we can actually stop assuming where he is located.

#10 · (Edited)
Rip rap along bank of KOA lake excludes it as an option and alligators in Lake Martin I think should cancel it out also.;)
Maybe the OP will chime in one day as to what state he lives in so we can actually stop assuming where he is located.
I was talking to a Swamp Tour operator out of Lake Martin. She says there are at least a dozen gators over 10ft and plenty of smaller ones. They'll be in booth #1418 in the Cajundone for the Outdoor Expo last full weekend in July.

Best bet for anyone new to the area is to attend a Cajun HRC quarterly meeting in Jennings. They have access to good training water in Arnaudville and Carencro. Or, contact them through their website, just Google Cajun HRC and call them. Introduce yourself and state your interest.

Rumor has it that the Cajun HRC folks have agreed to an arrangement with the Cajun Riviera FT folks. Cajun Riviera has splendid grounds and water which would make for outstanding HT grounds. In return, they chip in their help at Field Trials.

#11 ·
Thanks for your help I will send in a registration form to Cajun HRC if you think that would get me in the door to training. I actually live in henderson so that would be ideal to train in Arnaudville, LA. Thanks again for your help and I will shoot yall a PM asap.

Thanks Again,
James Howell

#18 ·
You may have done pointing trials on that exact property. Owner used to be into pointing dogs years ago. Plenty of waterfowl country in that area. Look on a map and find where Highway 29 meets Highway 182 in Whiteville and look south on 182 you should be able to pick out the grounds. They have put in more ponds since then.

#19 ·
The folks that control the property lock it up during duck season. The first episode of the TV Show "Cajun Outdoors" was shot on the property, a Teal shoot. They slay the ducks and geese during the season but, you won't hear them talking about it;-)

#24 ·
Franco, Do you have a contact over there? I am also looking for a lease to rent in the area!
They don't lease any of that property. If you want to find a duck lease near Whiteville, I would check with the Ville Platte Gazette. I've also seen some leases listed in the Laffy Daily Advertiser.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.