RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Transition training

2K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  Randy Bohn 
#1 ·
I'm in the hart of transition training with my pup, fun time(puppy work) is over and the work has begun.

I'm having a lot of fun, lucky for me I have a dog that trains fairly easy and enjoys her job, still frustrating at times, really brings out the weakness of the handler(me).

#2 ·
So what are you two doing right now?

Evan

#5 ·
First of all I do follow a program and I have great support team.

Right now My pup and I are working on drills that enforce and hone the basics, I'm really focusing on casting and lining drills that will culture the team work aspect between the pup and me. In addition to the drills I am still exposing the pup to marks that will introduce her to new concepts, so far she's proving to be a good student and a fairly quick learner.

The frustration comes in on my handing skills, when to whistle, when to correct, timing and consistency. I'm fortunate that I get to train pretty regularly so at this point I guess the focus is really on me.

#3 ·
Do u have an issue u want help with?

#6 · (Edited)
For the dog work I think the answer is Just keep swimming, just keep swimming, the pup will get more solid with age, and maybe grease lightening will slow down a bit, and you'll adapt ;). Still while the handler might make mistakes, as long as the dog has a solid enough foundation, desire to please and is smart-er (than the handler.. cough); you'll be able to work through it. But shouldn't the real title of this thread be how do we train the handler to run Derbies and not puke on the Line. ;) Answer is I don't know; But I'm glad you'll be stepping to the plate before me, you can share which anti-acids work the best ;)

#8 ·
Transition dog training is an exciting time for trainer and dog...you can see improvements quickly....unless you can't read dogs. It's not which program you follow it's more like following a flow chart, but when things go wrong or questions pop up your reading of the dog is vital. Success ratio of marks in your last three days of training.....how much of the lesson do you need to see to be satisfied the dog learned something...what drills to use to help teach your dog better...is dog trying or not....is dog making mistakes cause he doesn't understand...all things to think of in day to day transition training...thinking outside the box to get results might be required....if you can't read dogs transition is where dogs get ruined.....quickly...Randy

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.