RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

New Guy - First Post

7K views 29 replies 19 participants last post by  SjSmith 
#1 ·
Hey Guys,

I'm new here. Just found this site, through another hunting site I frequent.
I'm From BC Canada, do quite a bit of hunting, birds and big game. After really getting addicted to ducks last year, I have decided to finally take on the huge responsibility of a dog. Problem is I am allergic to labs and most dogs. That left me with about 5ish choices of retrieving dogs as far as I could see (with limited shedding). I Wanted something that was a real hunter too, not a show dog. I looked at poodles, Portuguese water dogs, Wire hair griffons, GWP's, and then found something called a Pudelpointer. As there isn't a lot of information on them, and most people initially think of labradoodle, I have included some information on them as they are a breed of their own, and not a mutt. This is the dog I will most likely end up with.
Breed: Pudelpointer
Type: Pointer

Hunting Style

The Pudelpointer is a versatile hunter bred for a combination of a very good nose plus speed, endurance and hunting desire. They will exhibit natural pointing and hunting instincts and will enthusiastically retrieve on land and water.General Appearance

The Pudelpointer is a large breed with a dense, wiry coat that is known for very limited shedding. Color should be liver or chestnut but black is also seen on occasion. Tails are generally docked to roughly 2/3 of the original full length.Size

Height usually ranges from 21 to 26 inches from the ground to the highest point of the shoulders and weight usually ranges between 44 and 66 pounds.Disposition

While not a popular breed in the United States, the Pudelpointer is becoming more widely recognized due to its combination of hunting ability and disposition. The breed is generally viewed as an excellent companion in a home environment and is easily trained.

and so that leaves me with a few questions. I am hoping to start with Bill Hillmann's puppy video, to start the training. Is this a good idea, even though this isn't a lab? He says its good for any type of retrieving dog. Is there any better video more suited for training a pointer? I am hoping to make this more of a duck dog, as thats what I do more of.

Here are some hunts from the past season

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
I would get around some and make sure you aren't allergic to them. Shedding has nothing to do with allergies. It is the dander that people are allergic to, not the hair.

This is a quote from a review on allergens. "Dog allergen, particularly Can f 1, is present in dander, saliva, urine, and serum. There are allergens specific to dog breeds, but all breeds produce allergenic proteins (even poodles and "hairless" dogs)."

Buck

#6 ·
I don't know about the mixed breeds, but I would shy away from the for hunting as it is unlikely they breed field lines of both types of dogs....on the other hand I did go to a hunt test where a woman from Denver, CO had to fill sized Poodles she ran in the Senior Hunter tests. We all were laughing at them when we first saw them, but after she ran them, we stopped laughing. They passed both tests no problems, they did not have much style, but they were very well trained and would make anyone a good gun dog....good luck!

#13 ·
I don't know about the mixed breeds, but I would shy away from the for hunting as it is unlikely they breed field lines of both types of dogs
Every dog is a mixed breed including labs and collies. However the pudelpointer breed has actually been around since the 1800's. They are very strictly bred for hunting now, and for that reason will hopefully never be registered with the AKC.

#7 ·
I'd make sure you weren't allergic to the poodlepointer before you spent the $ for one. I'd also make sure the parents hunted and hopefully had NAVDA titles or certificates or whatever they call them. They say the versatile breeds don't do cold water well so that could be a problem in BC. I'd check locally to see if anyone worked versatile breeds in your neck of the woods.

You could also get around some Chessies. They are enough different from a lab that you might not be allergic to them.

#11 ·
Try to contact Pudelpointer on this forum. I haven't seen him post for a while but he has two pudelpointers and is doing quite well with them. I have seen one of his work and he is an awesome dog. He could give you advice. Try sending him a PM when you can.

The pudelpointer is not a mixed breed.

#15 · (Edited)
Welcome, I have a friend with a Pudelpointer, he shares your Never in the AKC sentiments. ;) No-worries; as a hunting dog the breed is probably too pretty for the big-time show ring in anyway ;) The dog does very well on Duck, probably the one of the best Waterfowl-water loving, versatile's I've ever seen. He's got the medium-long coat, does well on upland too. I was surprised the coat didn't seem to collect brambles, it looks like it would, but it's a pretty rugged wash-dry coat.

#20 ·
Hey Guys,

I'm new here. Just found this site, through another hunting site I frequent.
I'm From BC Canada, do quite a bit of hunting, birds and big game. After really getting addicted to ducks last year, I have decided to finally take on the huge responsibility of a dog. Problem is I am allergic to labs and most dogs. That left me with about 5ish choices of retrieving dogs as far as I could see (with limited shedding). I Wanted something that was a real hunter too, not a show dog. I looked at poodles, Portuguese water dogs, Wire hair griffons, GWP's, and then found something called a Pudelpointer. As there isn't a lot of information on them, and most people initially think of labradoodle, I have included some information on them as they are a breed of their own, and not a mutt. This is the dog I will most likely end up with.
Breed: Pudelpointer
Type: Pointer

Hunting Style

The Pudelpointer is a versatile hunter bred for a combination of a very good nose plus speed, endurance and hunting desire. They will exhibit natural pointing and hunting instincts and will enthusiastically retrieve on land and water.General Appearance

The Pudelpointer is a large breed with a dense, wiry coat that is known for very limited shedding. Color should be liver or chestnut but black is also seen on occasion. Tails are generally docked to roughly 2/3 of the original full length.Size

Height usually ranges from 21 to 26 inches from the ground to the highest point of the shoulders and weight usually ranges between 44 and 66 pounds.Disposition

While not a popular breed in the United States, the Pudelpointer is becoming more widely recognized due to its combination of hunting ability and disposition. The breed is generally viewed as an excellent companion in a home environment and is easily trained.

and so that leaves me with a few questions. I am hoping to start with Bill Hillmann's puppy video, to start the training. Is this a good idea, even though this isn't a lab? He says its good for any type of retrieving dog. Is there any better video more suited for training a pointer? I am hoping to make this more of a duck dog, as thats what I do more of.

Here are some hunts from the past season

Just curious, how did you isolate aversion allergy to specific breeds?

#21 ·
I guess there are some dogs that people are allegic to, and some that may produce less of whatever it is I'm allergic to? Cats are really bad, small non-shedding dog breeds are usually okay. However there are some people who say if you just live with one, your tollerance will build up. It's not like throat closing/stop breathing type allergies. It's really stuffed up, sneezing, itchy watery eyes embarrassing.

I mean who really knows what it is, but I try to avoid big hairy dogs that have given me trouble in the past. I have tried out this breed by being around them, and so far, so good. I would just hate to have to give up a lab if I couldn't handle it.

#25 ·
Well, good luck!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.