RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Lack of fire

4K views 17 replies 15 participants last post by  weasle 
#1 ·
hi yall
i have a 4 month old yellow lab male. Listens well is crate trained, have been noticing lately a lack of fire or drive to retrieve. He did well with hallway retrieves when he was younger and only threw a couple at a time to keep his interest. He will retrieve bumpers in the yard somedays like a pro and then other days just doesnt care. Try to throw bumpers at a different location, wants nothing to do with it too distracted. I guess my concern is that he just doent have much fire, for the breeding he came out of i was expecting a big powered dog. Ny ideas how i can increase his drive and fire??

#2 ·
could the dog be teething at 4 months ? have you started any basic OB work

Make sure he has all his permanent teeth before making any judgements about his desire...

Then maybe introduce him to a wing clipped pigeon, but start working on the basics first

#3 ·
It's to soon to be concerned. Like Bon said may be teeting. In Hillmans Training a Retriever Puppy, he only trains every second or third day. Rowdy would have days like you are experiencing when he was that age. But look at him now. He is a retrieving fool.

#5 ·
He is a BABY! You need to continue to shape his behavior and let him grow up and mature at his own rate of speed. It takes longer for the boys. Puppy buyers often have unrealistic expectations even when out of a high-powered breeding. Some do not show their stuff until 8 to 10 months of age. And then look out! Be patient.

#7 ·
I had a pup like that.
At 4 months I actually thought about getting rid of him due to lack of drive.
Turns out, he has an adequate amount of drive, like more than I can handle.........:???:
I would give it a little more time.

JMO

Good luck!!!

#8 ·
My yellow female was just like you described. Come to find out, she was teething. Then, I was worried about her drive and now, two months later, I'm wondering how in the world I'm going to teach her to honor! She can't stand for something to be thrown and her not go get it.

#11 ·
i am goin through the exact problem, i mean to a T of how you described. Im just trying to remember hes young and just a puppy and to slow down n enjoy this time. It is frustrating and dishearting but when they do turn this lil adventure will make the success that much better. Well i hope so at least lol :) some of the replies were kind of reasurring though, hope to hear more. Good luck with the pup n come fall i hope to see some ducks n the dog :)

#12 ·
Be careful what you wish for. I had some of the same thoughts about my yellow pup. Biggest in the litter, male, sluggish.

And then he saw his first shot flyer at about 4.5 months. It wasn't his; he literally saw a shot flyer for another dog and almost separated my arm from my shoulder trying to get to it. At that moment the problem changed to "how on earth do I control this maniac?????" We "shot" him a flyer and he hit that duck like a linebacker. Has been doing so ever since.

A good problem (at least to a point), but a problem nonetheless.

#15 ·
thanks for all the responses, thats what i was thinking just too young to tell, hard to not look ahead and all but then when hes older ill wish he was a pup again. I at most throw 4 to 5 bumpers, if hes not into it all or whatever i stop even if its just one throw, he ll chase a dead piegon on a lead and get some what excited. maybe ill just back and let him have some fun and enjoy hanging out. His ob is pretty good, comes here when told sits on command kennels up on command. I think my expectations are just really high n thats not fair to him. I hope to hear more from ya guys thanks!!!!

#16 ·
Try a wing clipped live pigeon.... :D

#18 ·
I have a 3.5 month old blk male and what works for me is taking a couple days off in between any retrieving. I have even cut back on the Hillman training to once every third day or so, and I have seen a great response. Now when I throw something he is balls to the wall to get it and bring it back. Heck if he sees the bumpers laying on the ground he runs over and brings one to me now. Couple days off in between training and retrieving and only throwing 3-5 bumpers for him with a frozen bird worked in once a week has given me great results.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.