RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Hydration question

904 views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  FOM 
#1 ·
Since moving the dogs into the new kennels during the day, they have seemed to do fine and enjoy it. Except, Indy will not drink out of his pail. I change the water frequently, it is fresh and cool. He won't touch it. When he goes outside to train, play or just air, he will drink from the spigot, but after a few gulps he chokes on it a bit and will stop. When we go into the house he will run straight to the toilet and drink his fill, (won't touch the water bowl in the kitchen either). So, in trying to make sure he is hydrated before going out training in the morning, I have been soaking his early feed down with broth. THat does get some liquid in him, but are the benefits offset by the sodium??? What else can I do, anyone else have this problem?

My pup Scout, has no problem drinking out of his pail, even after splashing in it with dirty feet so that he can throw some at Indy. (and he KNOWS about the toilet, but doesn't usually drink out of it.) So nothing wrong with the water.

Toilet breath regards

#3 ·
I agree with Richard

#4 ·
But what about during the day when he just won't drink??? I know he needs to be hydrated well for training, and I don't know how to get him to. Lead a horse to water but......

He only gets at the toilet in the evening when he comes in, and I will try closing that off to him and see if he will drink out of his bowl, I am much more worried about him not drinking in the morning before we go to train. I always put him in his kennel early for breakfast and "pre training" time out. I can't get him to drink a thing until after the first set up or exercise, and then he will drink out of his travel bowl. I want to pre hydrate him. Any suggestions?

#5 ·
I want to pre hydrate him. Any suggestions?
Two things come to mind,

• Consider using Elements H mixed with water to pre-hydrate. We use it during trials and during periods of intense training.
  • Add a small amount of kibbe (e.g. a tablespoon or two) to a bowl containing the quantity of water you want the dog to drink.
Our dogs will drink the entire bowl of water to get to the few pieces of kibble.

#6 ·
Shut off the toilet supply.

Put water NOT broth in his kibble to hydrate (sodium, not good)

He will eventually drink out of his bucket, he may be hard headed and spoiled about his previous water sources, but he will not let himslef go thirsty - natural animal instinct.

Your story reminds me of the phone call I had with my mother in-law last Thanksgiving - she said whe was worried about Flash, he wasn't eating his kibble.....but he does like pankcakes, boiled eggs and cheese ;)

When she said that it was as if a light went off - she was being played, why would Flash eat his kibble? He has other "yummy" things to eat!

FOM

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.