RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Moving to Newport, RI

4K views 20 replies 9 participants last post by  Jim Person 
#1 · (Edited)
** Oct 3 2012: Update to my original post from back in December. - My family and I finally made it up north. I realize hunting season is upon us, but me, the dawg and my daughter are looking for some training opportunities. Anyone interested in training or willing to point me in the right direction?
Are the clubs still training this time of year? I don't bring much to the table other than a good arm, some bumpers, and the pup. Pretty new to the dog training world, but we have been fortunate enough to get a couple senior passes. Thanks in advance. -- Brian

Dec 2011 - I am in the Coast Guard, and just received word that the family and I will be moving to Newport, RI. I am being assigned to a ship. Anyway, curious as to what the HRC/AKC club situation is up there? We will probably live on base in Newport. If not, I'll be looking to live within a 30 minutes or so of the base. We are not moving until June or July, so we are just gathering info on the area at this point. Any information would be greatly appreciated....Places to live, clubs in the area, etc.

Merry Christmas!
Brian Caudle

#2 ·
There are a ton of clubs up this way, that hold AKC HT and FT , HRC hunts and NAHRA filed tests. .. Yankee Waterfowlers (AKC HT, HRC, NAHRA) The rest of the clubs do pretty much AKC HT and FT, Shoreline, Colonial, Yankee Golden,Southern Bershire, Lab club of Boston, Long Island. There are also several clubs within 3-4 hours in NY, Vt., NH, Me.
Whatever your game of choice there is a club to fit. And Newport is a beautiful place. Good luck with the move, Jim

#3 ·
Don't forget the HRC clubs....Granite State , Saco River, and Gun's Up. 2 tests in June each, plus upland and then another 2 in Septermber, along with Yankee Waterfowlers.

Like Jim said, this is a very active area in the spring, summer and early fall. Depending on your venure, you can be on the "run" pretty much every week-end from April to October! We are!
If you want to contact me privately, please feel free to do so.

Welcome to New England. Newport and area is just a wonderful place to be and I know you and your family will love it there.
Diane and Steve Brunelle
and Golden kids

#5 ·
It's a beautiful place to live and I think you'll like it. I've belonged to both Shoreline and Yankee Waterfowlers and I think you'll be happy with either one of them-or both! NICE people and plenty of opportunities to train.

Good luck with your move and when you do meet Steve and Diane you'll be glad you did.

M

#6 ·
LOL, Miriam, you are too kind!
Brian, we look forward to meeting you this spring and you might want to be on the lookout for Tim Byars. I think y'all might have the same accent. Tim belongs to both the Yankke Waterfowlers and the Shoreline clubs.Great guy!

#7 ·
Very good. There will be HRC tests in May and early June, in CT, NH and Me.. AKC tests throughout the year all with in a 4 hour drive. August is a big month for AKC in Ct. There will also be a NAHRA test in July in Ct. too. Jim

#15 ·
Yes...Wayne is the President of the Men's Chapter and I am President of the Women's Chapter....We've had some fun times together....Although I do have to say I don't think I made a single meeting this year. The comraderie is wonderful up this way. Brian, when are you moving?
Diane

#14 ·
You mean like this?

Eric

#21 ·
Yankee waterfowlers has one more training day (upland) Oct 21? We are all pretty much geared up for hunting season now. Plenty of members in Ma, RI and CT you may be able to hook up on a hunt or 2... Good Luck Jim

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.