RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Leaving

4K views 14 replies 14 participants last post by  Bob Mac 
#1 ·
On Saturday my little girl will be leaving with the trainer, I know it's the best thing for her, but how do you all handle them being gone?

#2 ·
The first time is a real bear, just have confidence that you are doing the right thing. I remember calling, to the point that I started to get voice mail. Try not to do that, but if you do so what. Time goes by quicker then you think and before you know it, you will be over to see her.

Keith

#7 ·
Exactly what I was thinking! ;-)

#4 ·
I enjoy the extra space on the bed and the fact I actually have covers that I only have to fight my dear husband for!

#5 ·
Don't forget the retired dog you still have to fight as well ;) ;)

#8 ·
Its hard, my pup has been with the trainer for over a year and a half. When she first left I wanted to call all the time but thought better of it and just let the pup adjust. But in the end it is so worth it. My girl had a nice derby career and now training for qual and AA. I do have another dog that keeps me company at home. I have her home for december then off to the south for the winter for some great training, which she LOVES!!!!

Best of luck with your pup, you should be pleased with the results!

#9 · (Edited)
Its really hard. I have a very demanding job with long hours. I had a great dog that was going to waste because I was too busy to train him. I made the decision and never looked back....what helped me, I tried to sit at my desk and think about all the fun my dog was having. Like "right now, its morning he is doing drill work", it's noon now, "he has already had a land set up and moving to water". Or today is "flyer fridays" and he LOVES flyers! He absolutely loved the trainer and loved working and being there. That helped alot. And most of all he was always happy to see me, but still happy to go back to the trainer. I know I called too much. I even had an app on my phone that told me the weather in that area. One time there was a tornado warning and I just knew it was headed for the kennel and sent a text message! : ( I worried sick about cold and even brought him beds for his house and hole on the trailer. I was pitiful. I was blessed to have a trainer that put up with me and the love I have for my dogs. He was so nice to me, and understanding even though I had to have been a pain. In the spring when I finally had time off to go train for a week, I almost didnt recognize my dog. He looked like a BEAR! He had tons of coat and that long coat gene. The trainer chuckled and said "and you were worried about him being cold!". We both laughed! Took me tons of brushing to get that winter coat gone!!! LOL Anyway, it is hard, but in the end you will have a solid dog with a great foundation for you to have fun with for years to come. It's like a great camp for the dogs. And hopefully your trainer will teach you as much as mine did. Thank you Jack Morris at Stellar Retrievers for all you did for Hoot and I. I wish my boy was still here (I lost him to cancer on Oct. 16th). If he was he would still be with Jack.

Best wishes with your dog!

#10 ·
Never thought I would do this but I Just sent my first dog ever away with a trainer. I keep in mind he will see more sets ups and drills in a moth then he would in 2 months up here. Plus he will be south in the sun and warmth while I am up here freezing my a$$ off.

#11 ·
I am new to retriever field trials and when I sent my first girl away to Georgia (i'm in NY), I put it in my head that it wasn't any different than when my kids packed up to go away to college. They both have a short window of opportunity to learn what they will need to be competitive in the "real" world whether it be kids and jobs or my black lab and field trials. My kids came back smarter than me........actually they left smarter than me if you ask them and I'm going to try not to ruin all my trainers hard work with my pup!! I think after I've been down visiting, my pup's trainer realizes he'll need to train both of us and I'll be the more difficult of the two!! Good luck with your new pup!!

#12 ·
Mine straight from the breeder to the trainer and into puppy head start. I would pick them up on the way to the deer camp every couple of months for a R&R weekend and then drop them back off at the trainer on the way home. It didn't seem to affect their training at all. I guess I'm one of the lucky ones. After 13 months of training they came home for good. We stop by the trainer every now and then so he can see them. It's like a family reunion because they go bezerk when they see him. They just made 2 years old Wednesday.

#13 ·
The 1st three times I dropped my girl off at the trainer it was raining. I had the hardest time driving the 2+ hours home because I couldn't see through the tears either, so I started listening to an old favorite song by Bill Withers the next trip down.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tIdIqbv7SPo

It kind of prepared me for the ride home. It doesn't get easier no matter what people say, but it is always worth it. Enjoy.

#14 ·
So it wasn't all that bad. I know she's in good hands and can't wait to see the progression.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.