RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

The Higher the Poop the Better?

7K views 32 replies 25 participants last post by  luvalab 
#1 ·
Any biologists that can explain this behavior in dogs?
It is interesting that puppies at 4 week this behavior already shows up.

#2 ·
I have not the faintest idea about what you are referring to.

Lonnie Spann

#11 ·
But the real question is: Do any of you out there have a male who will lift his left and then take a crap at the same time? Mine will not always do it, but it seems like he is trying to multitask more and more lately.
My oldest has always done this. Thanks for letting me know why! I have actually seen him poop on a basketball while hiking his leg and peeing all at the same time. Poor nephew came running out of the house a few minutes later and grabbed his basketball without looking.:p:p:razz:

#12 ·
All 3 species of wild canids that I have worked on (Red Fox, Wolf and Coyote) were very selective about where and how they defecated and urinated much of the time, especially when near boundaries of their territories. They chose places that were prominent and near junctions and near noticeable objects. It was not uncommon to elevate their poop on structures as well as mark high with urine. They also would scratch and produce a visual marker much like a buck's scrape. Note deer scrapes and rubs and scent-marked over-hanging branches are similar. It's all about advertising.

Some of my males were more into this than others. I have seen bitches do it also. These dogs may be dominant(in their minds in relation to other dogs) but not necessary in relation to you.

So when we see these behaviours in dogs, it is just normal behaviour typical of canids.

#14 ·
Dennis:
Great biology lesson. Now I understand why they just crapped all over my barbell set!

#18 ·
Mine usually just craps at the line at a HT.

Lonnie Spann

#19 ·
I do have an interesting story...

I know a fellow who was locked up in the drunk-tank one night in the City Jail in Birmingham, AL. He was in the cell with approx. 10 others who were presumably under the influence. Well, this fellow who was causing trouble ended up being placed in a cell all by his lonesome directly across the hall from the above- mentioned offenders. Well this guy took off his sock, urinated in it and then commenced to swinging it toward the guys in the cell across from him, SPRAYING THEM WITH URINE! They immediately hovered in the back of the cell, however not quite out of reach of the spray! Maybe this was his way of urinating on the highest location, marking his territory?

Lonnie Spann

#25 ·
Maggie is very selective about where she goes the other two run for 2 min and they empty it all out Maggie will shop and shop for the right spot, so at HT she will urinate when I aire her but it is usualy on the 2nd retrieve she squats on the way back - I hate it but at least it gives the judges something to complain about when she is running;-)

#26 ·
I once saw a sharpei actually stand on his front legs and walk a couple steps on them so he could spray pee higher. Freaked me out when I saw it. I'm not kidding.

#27 ·
Unless his pecker was on backwards I would think that by standing on his front feet he would be peeing toward the ground.:confused:

#32 ·
David,

You are welcome to come hang out anytime.

Lonnie Spann

#33 ·
These being boys that do this, I have always just assumed that something about it feels good. :oops:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.