RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Dog estate planning

4K views 16 replies 14 participants last post by  Marty Lee 
#1 · (Edited)
Not the most cheerful topic to think about but For those of us that are getting a little older and have multiple dogs making sure those dogs are provided for, should something happen, is a legitimate concern.
Wondering how some of you have handled this.

#3 ·
DH and I have no human children so for us it was rather simple. When we did our will we simply left everything to those that we completely trust with our dogs ( my parents). If anyone wonders why we trust anyone so much, for us it was easy. At the time we did the original will we had a disabled lab due to a FME and were going to have the will state that he should be put down and they thru a fit and told us exactly how even tho they were older they could well help him get around (ie outside or potty etc.) in their house. To this day even though we live far away from them they are the emergancy contact for all of our dogs even tho the "Outlaws" live 5 minutes away.

#4 ·
This is a good topic !

Marty and I have provided for the dogs till they pass!
The competitive dogs will be trained and entered although a joint ownership will be held for any health and Akc issues that may arise. We don't like to dwell on the topic however one needs to have preparation. Likely we would not each go at the same time.
I believe Marty has ideas of getting some "Chippendale" dancers to help her with the dogs plus she needs a driver for the truck she claims
Dk

#6 ·
If you are in a state (like AL) that has adopted the Uniform Trust Code, you are likely now able to actually establish a streamlined trust to care for pets if you wish. A competent estate planner or tax lawyer type in your location would be best suited to advise you on something like this.

#8 ·
I actually worked on Leona Helmsley's estate and her $12M trust to her dog Trouble.

The Court actually set aside the $12M trust. A friend took Trouble and was given a $5k per month stipend to care for the dog.

If it were me, I'd leave the dog and a specific pecuniary amount to a certain person. I'd be real confident in that person because Courts don't monitor these types of arrangements.

Meleagris1 has a crazy story about a woman leaving a serious estate to all of her cats.

#9 ·
Bruce, I did this several years ago since I live alone. My IRA account is earmarked for dog needs first and foremost. In addition to an executor who is a family member, a good training friend is in charge of placing my dogs since she knows at what level they are trained. Another is earmarked to help her who lives very nearby. I'd like to think that only maybe the oldest dogs would even need any $ to go with them, and maybe not even them. I have had a lot of folks ask to be on my list to take my dogs if / when I ever need, so much of the job can be done in advance w/ good networking.

#10 ·
To be quite honest...once I'm dead I couldn't give a hoot about my dogs or anything else left behind. Just hope I'm not dancing around trying to put out flames!

Lonnie Spann

#12 ·
Lonnie, I really hope your comment is in jest.

I'll tell you, nothing is sadder than getting rescue emails about 10- 12 yo dogs that are otherwise healthy whose owners have died and no one wants to adopt them due to fear of vet costs. I don't want my faithful companions ending up being PTS just because I was inconsiderate in planning for their futures w/o me. Anne

#14 ·
lonnie,
you will not be dancin'! that evil dancin' is one of the things that gets you there in the first place.

old joke #238:
Q. why do us baptists never make love standing up?
A. looks too much like dancin'!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.