RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

New Started Hunting Retriever

5K views 30 replies 22 participants last post by  Sundown49 aka Otey B 
#1 ·
I just got my started hunting retriever title at North Alabama HRC this past weekend, March 9-10, I am very excited about passing and proud of my dog (Bree) for doing an amazing job. I have been training Bree from day one and will not let my dad touch her. I train every day after school in hopes of having an outstanding dog. I finally see that all of my hard work is paying off. We ran a water test to start off Saturday followed by the land test that evening, which Bree did awesome in. Sunday was a little bit more exciting for me. We started off Sunday with a land test and then a water test in the evening. Well the land test was a breeze so now all I was ready for was the water. I knew that if she did as well as she had been doing that she would pass with ease. So here I am walking to the holding blind with Bree and she is going crazy, I hear the duck call coming from the handler that is ahead of me and so does Bree and she couldn't take it anymore so she backs up and slips right through her collar! She immediately takes off towards the handler at the bucket and then I see the duck go flying through the air while I am going to retrieve my dog, and my heart sinks, while this is going on I'm saying "Here!" the whole time just hoping that she doesn't go after the duck, the other handler sends his dog and Bree sat at the edge of the water and honored for the other dog! Amazing. But talk about being mad, I wrapped that leash around her neck and pulled her back to the holding blind, scared to look at the judges. The man with his dog walks past me after he is done and I look at the judges and ask if I can still run, they look at me and ask for my dog number and tell me to bring her to the line, thank goodness! She ran the test better than she had any of the previous tests. I had an awesome time getting to run the test and getting to meet all of the great people that I did. By far the best test I have went to... And probably the scariest. It was a great experience and I will never forget it. Thanks NAHRC for a great time!

See less See more
#4 ·
Had that happen at the very first AKC Junior test I ever ran... only I was on the receiving end of it. The dog in the next holding blind back slipped her collar and "interfered" with mine. It didn't bother my dog a bit... he was the first to the bird, after all. The judge did not allow the other dog to run. You are lucky, I can't believe your dog stopped! Well, lesson learned, make sure the collar fits properly!

Anyhow, Congrats on your title. Are you hooked yet?

#6 ·
Congratulations son (Drake 2014 is my biological child, according to my wife) I'm proud of you. Now go do your homework!

Lonnie Spann aka "Dad"

#8 ·
ALL RIGHT Drake !! You have a nice pup.

#9 ·
drake,

the "good old boys" at the nahrc are pleased in every way to have fine young people like yourself coming to run their dogs! i enjoyed watching "bree", she is a great young dog. i enjoyed watching you handle her. i enjoyed your mom and dad seeing you head off to the test, on your own.....a man and his dog!

we are glad you came, we are glad you won that great duck call and hat at the tailgate and we are glad you passed! keep up the good work!

john mccallie

#15 ·
Only AFTER he moves out of my house!:D

Lonnie Spann

#19 ·
Congrats Drake!! Due to marshalling another flight I wasn't able to make my rounds to watch other test but I heard you had a nice run. I did get to watch you run Bree at the training day and I can tell you two are clicking and are going to make a great duo!! It's also nice to have some of us younger guys in the games. Keep up the hard work!

Travis

#20 ·
Drake that may be the first title you and Bree earn but I will bet it won't be the last. You should be proud of both yourself and Bree. She is a fine dog and you have done a very nice job training her!!!!

If your dad will stop selling stuff y'all can train & get her ready for seasoned. Central Alabama is coming up & I have you as a Marshall. Your dad will show you how to motivate the bird boys.

Congratulations again!!!

#28 ·
Drake, get your Dad to make a road trip and come over to Mid South at Bruce MS and run over there in May. I would really like to hand you a ribbon. You are what this sport needs......Young people. PS bring that little fire ball too.......LOL.

#31 ·
Hope you can make it. Mid South runs of some of the finest grounds anywhere. You had better appeal to your Mother as the Test is on Mother's Day weekend......From seeing how proud of you she is I am sure she will help you out..........LOL. I used to know how to get stuff by appealing to my MOM ,,,,,,,,,,,many moons ago....LOL. PS as Splash_em says there is some good scenery around Oxford. :):)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.