RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

A question on basic hand signals

7K views 28 replies 12 participants last post by  stringwise 
#1 ·
This is probably an easy one for the seasoned vets but as a noob I thought I'd ask.

Working on the basic baseball drill teaching back and over. Pup is 10 mos old and pro trained through the basics (OBD, FF, water and land singles etc.).

He's picked up the idea in a handful of sessions with one caveat. When I raise my hand a command back, he comes all the way to me then turns around and sprints to the bumper. He does the same on over but usually 2 steps to me then sprints to the mark.

I put a baseball hitting net (see through) between us, give the command and he will go around the net to me then sprint back around to the bumper. It is almost like he is coming to heel before taking off but stops a few feet short of me then sprints to the bumper.

Tonight I tossed the bumper right over his head and it landed 5 feet behind him. He watched it over his head then land behind him. I walked about 25 yards away from him, he's facing me, bumper right behind him all in a nice line. He runs 24 yards to me then all the way back to the bumper, then back to me for a hand delivery.

Any obvious fixes on this one or does he just need more time/reps to get the concept?

He also likes to look at the fall even on back, but doesn't move his lower body, and it seems to take 5-30 seconds for him to look at me before I can give him the hand signal. Maybe related, not sure.

Many thanks

See less See more
#3 ·
It is really not a FTP issue. It is a set sit maintain issue. However, I would guess that your pro taught him a different manner and your dog is confused about what you really want him to do. The first thing I would do would be to call your pro and describe the situation and see if he was doing something similar that would cause a dog to come back into him before going out. This Does seem to be a situation of confusion that you dog was taught to do this task a different way.

Be that as it may, I would then put a rope on the dog, see Ken Bora's notes about ropes, And teach him to sit in front of you. In other words you're going to have to take a few steps back and teach him three handed casting again. Use your rope to make sure that he does not come into you. Pick up the rope and lift it up high so that it stops him from moving forward.

#4 · (Edited)
My opinion is simplify...Go back to pile work and start at that point were pup is sitting in front of you. Start making a small increase in space between you and pup. This may take a while to fix, like a week to three. Gradually grow the space. You may need to do 10 backs from 2 steps away for one session. The next session start at that 2 steps for a few backs, then increase a step to three steps. Make this a gradual change so pup doesn't notice. I wouldn't make a HUGE correction for a mistake, just stop and repeat. HUGE corrections will cause the balance to go the other way and then the dog may not come in when called. ;) Always require go, stop, and, come. Remember to SLOWLY increase the distance. The only HUGE you want is "GOOD PUP!"

#5 ·
Susan has it right ..call the pro that did the basic work and get his take on it ...Kendall has given you the advice your pro will probably give you....start over up close and help the dog to understand the whole game once again....Steve S

#6 ·
Working on the basic baseball drill teaching back and over. Pup is 10 mos old and pro trained through the basics (OBD, FF, water and land singles etc.).
Don't know if "FF'" means the dog has completed pile work or not, but what's confusing is that a lot of training material has these simple handling/ casting drills before pile work. And if that's the case there's nothing to "re-visit".

If it were me, I'd definately talk to your trainer, but regardless- the dog has to be in front in order to focus and take the right cast.

I'd simply step up, stop the dog, re-SIT the dog back on the pitchers mound, pick up the marks and re-start the drill until the dog SITS remotely and takes the cast.
Show him what you want.

Toss the mark over his head last and cast him BACK.
REPS

#7 ·
I agree with the simplification and getting closer. Taking a page from Bill Tarrant, you may want to try a rope and a post.

With the dog in a front sit the rope goes back around a post which is directly behind the back pile and then back to you. Give the cast while holding or standing on the end of the rope preventing the dog from coming forward. Reel the dog back to the pile and then let go for the return to you.

I am guessing 2 or 3 five minute sessions will be the end of the need for the rope.

With proper positioning you can also work on left and right hand backs using the post / rope to prevent turning the wrong way.

#8 ·
Thanks for the responses everyone.

I honestly don't know all of the steps that the pro took in completing force fetch. Maybe that's my fault for not asking, especially so if I was going to continue the training myself rather than sending back to the pro for more advanced work. Lesson learned.

Based on the posts above, I tried to following:

Put down a ladder of bumpers out to about 25 yards, 5 yards for the first bumper.
Took him from kennel to heel and let him see the bumpers
Commanded dead and back, he went to the first bumper and brought it right back
Repeated until he made it to the end of the bumper ladder
Started all over again and he completed 12 retrieves with no issues
Tried it on a pile and his only real "challenge" was shopping the pile but this was for a split second (nose vs. mouth) and he was hurrying back to me, not stand over the pile trying things on and dropping bumpers until he found the one he liked best.

Next I sat the pup about 5 yards in front of me with the ladder set up behind him. I commanded back and he too 3 steps to me then turned and ran to first bumper.
This was much shorter than he was traveling before as he would run all the way to me originally before heading out to the pile.

I think I will try the rope idea as I do think he understands the command but has this "hitch" that needs to be corrected.

I will report back after trying the rope concept for a few days, simplifying the drill until he understands that he needs to immediately turn and head to the pile/bumper ladder.

Thanks and any additional advice is appreciated.

#11 ·
Thanks for the responses everyone.

I honestly don't know all of the steps that the pro took in completing force fetch. Maybe that's my fault for not asking, especially so if I was going to continue the training myself rather than sending back to the pro for more advanced work. Lesson learned.

Based on the posts above, I tried to following:

Put down a ladder of bumpers out to about 25 yards, 5 yards for the first bumper.
Tried it on a pile and his only real "challenge" was shopping the pile but this was for a split second (nose vs. mouth) and he was hurrying back to me, not stand over the pile trying things on and dropping bumpers until he found the one he liked best.

Next I sat the pup about 5 yards in front of me with the ladder set up behind him. I commanded back and he too 3 steps to me then turned and ran to first bumper.
This was much shorter than he was traveling before as he would run all the way to me originally before heading out to the pile.

I think I will try the rope idea as I do think he understands the command but has this "hitch" that needs to be corrected.

I will report back after trying the rope concept for a few days, simplifying the drill until he understands that he needs to immediately turn and head to the pile/bumper ladder.

Thanks and any additional advice is appreciated.
Where did you come up with this at? The Pro or somewhere else???

#26 ·
"Put down a ladder of bumpers out to about 25 yards, 5 yards for the first bumper.

Next I sat the pup about 5 yards in front of me with the ladder set up behind him. I commanded back and he too 3 steps to me then turned and ran to first bumper.This was much shorter than he was traveling before as he would run all the way to me originally before heading out to the pile."

This is all stuff we did in he 70-80's time frame....More attention on lining instead of casting...Steve S

#12 ·
I think u need to simplify. Do search for Rowdy (by Pirate) videos and look how close I am to him and how close the bumpers are. When i start teaching the back casts I am almost standing beside him. The video visuals will help u. Later I will try to find the links.

#15 ·
I think u need to simplify. Do search for Rowdy (by Pirate) videos and look how close I am to him and how close the bumpers are. When i start teaching the back casts I am almost standing beside him. The video visuals will help u. Later I will try to find the links.
Stringwise, read the above post again. Be within a couple of steps when you send your dog, he can't come towards you, there's no room. Back up once he he's doing it well and then back up slowly.

#13 ·
I believe the rope idea will work, but I am with the others who say you should call your pro.

#17 · (Edited)
Here is one of the videos I mentioned. I haven't found the ones I'm looking for yet. Maybe it was under Hank (by Pirate). Any way look how close I am to the dog on the back casts and look how I move from one side to the other to get the correct spin. I will continue looking for the more basic ones.
http://s868.photobucket.com/user/wa...p4.html?&_suid=138083258153709996181923516927

Here is one of Hank just starting out.
http://s868.photobucket.com/user/wa...4.html?&_suid=1380833010313026002323674637745

I start my dogs out on the first day of simple casting teaching the correct spin on back cast as per TRT. If you move to the correct side and are up close the dog can't help but turn the correct way. See the video of Hank as this was his first day.

#21 ·
Here is one of the videos I mentioned. I haven't found the ones I'm looking for yet. Maybe it was under Hank (by Pirate). Any way look how close I am to the dog on the back casts and look how I move from one side to the other to get the correct spin. I will continue looking for the more basic ones.

I start my dogs out on the first day of simple casting teaching the correct spin on back cast as per TRT. If you move to the correct side and are up close the dog can't help but turn the correct way. See the video of Hank as this was his first day.

Thanks for posting these videos. I see that 1) you started out WAY easier than I did, I'll nick myself for that one, I was too far away to start 2) You are super enthusiastic and your dog responds well to that. 3) The rope is something I have but don't use much, I can see the benefit, will try that tomorrow.

#28 · (Edited)
This isn't all that uncommon.
Most programs go from FF to back to pile. There are a few steps inside of steps that will most likely rectify this.
1 go to your pile field and at the back pile have your dog sit facing you only about 4 or 5 feet from the back pile. You will be only a couple of yards in front of him.
2 toss a bumper over one of the shoulders and say fetch instead of back. No pressure is necessary unless needed. after a few sessions, your going to hold your hand that your going to use up at your shoulder but you will not raise it,,,then command "fetch". Step very slightly forward and over slightly in the direction you want the spin when commanding this to help your dog spin the right way.
3 After a few more sessions start slowly and gradually raisin the appropriate hand,,,using the fetch command
4 When he is doing this well and you read that he has got it,,,then add the "back command immediately after the fetch command or vise vera and when he goes on back consistently drop the "fetch" let him enjoy the success a little before you add the pressure. It won't take long.
I hope this is clear,,,,some dogs need things ultra simplified. So break it down,, no rope is needed to unnecessarily tangle the dog if you have been thorough in your obedience.
have fun
Pete

#29 ·
Thanks guys/gals

I simplified and started with the rope in order to redirect if needed. He's progressed very rapidly and from what I've seen the past 3-4 sessions, I would say problem solved. I think standing right next to him is what solved it.

The ladder drill was just to make sure he had the concept down and would help keep him from shopping the pile. Maybe it was retro and had some BeeGees to it but seemed to work!

Really looking forward to the next step here, thanks for the help thus far.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.