RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Chocolates in the Derby

13K views 49 replies 24 participants last post by  JKOttman 
#1 ·
A long debate in another forum peaked my interest about the strength of recent chocolates in the field trial game. My interest is namely in the derby we all know about ammo's spectacular derby career but what other chocolates have made it high on the derby list. What chocolate males have the most derby points and how many did they get?

#5 ·
Last year another Roux x Tyra placed on the derby list I beleive with 17 points or so in limited action and amateur handled and trained.

#11 · (Edited)
Seems to be more of them around doing well, last few years; I think the breedings are getting and will continue to get much better. I watch the west coast. There's a coco dog; made Derby list in AZ this year; Jammed a Qual a week back. Same owner has another coco male, coming pretty close to enough points for AFC. There's a Pirate Pup I like, he's got a Qual 1st and other placements, MH 6 for 6, I have no idea what he did in derby, knowing the owner he probably did something ;). There's an Ammo sibling with an Amateur Win, northern CA. I haven't been able to see him run yet, pretty sure he was on the D. List. Also an Ammo sibling QAA HRCH MH, in AZ. I'm pretty sure Ammo has a bunch of siblings with QAA, who are working their way up in FT w/ points & hunt test titles. A friend has a young AFC Tick male, running really nice HRCH-MH good record, jammed every derby he ran, and doing well in the Qual. Another friend has 2 males QAA, running and finishing the Am. (completely different breedings). The Thing about all these chocolate dogs, is they are young (1-4yrs), and will need some age before we'll really see what they'll be able to do, but there's definitely several of them with potential. Most are owner-handler, trained and ran; also seems that most cross venues FT & HT, most are even good looking structural dogs.

Derby list is cool, You've got to have the potential-time-resources and drive to campaign; however when I'm looking at dogs I prefer to think long term, a FC-AFC chocolate dog is still a rare animal; but I bet it's not gonna be as rare in a few years.

#19 ·
Just go to Entry Express and go into the field trial schedule. Look at the Derby placements and click on the placing dogs. That will bring up info on the dog receiving points including breed and color. You can then click on the past results tab to see how the dog has done in other trials. In a half hour you could learn a lot.

#17 ·
We have been lucky with chocolates . FC /AFC Rebel Ridge's Devil's Luck MH she had 26 derby points. Jinx ended her career with 70 all age points . Qualified for 3 national ams.
FC /AFC Rebel Ridge cosmic rise'n Fall MH had 36 points has 45 all age points ! Qualified for 3 National Am.
Rebel Ridge Willie Wonka DoIt MH! 15 derby points ! Qualifying win
Watch out for Stormy and Rash in 2015 in derby

#23 ·
Watch out for Stormy and Rash in 2015 in derby
Who are Stormy and Rash out of? I keep track of chocolates, and I haven't been watching the Rebel ridge dogs near enough ;).

#21 ·
I have the male chocolate, referenced by Huntem Up, that is also a product of Deb Wehners breeding program (Breeder of Ammo). The dog in my avatar is Magic Bloux Marker and despite being chocolate was on the 2011 and 2012 Derby list. Bloux earned 17 derby points before his derby career ended at 18 months of age due to injury. After ten months of rehab he won the Q in his first trial back to competition. On his third birthday he won an Amatuer, I may be biased but I think they can make pretty good dogs.

Chris

#24 ·
Come on Chris, I mentioned him first above :)

Gotta keep them Ty x Roux pups together

Sorry my choco didn't run derby's, just HT

#29 ·
Jean Wu's FC AFC Huntersbest Sapphire Jubilee (Jacki) is a really nice choclate female. She had a decent Derby career with 3 2nd place finishes and 2 JAMS. She won the Open at Tall Pines earlier this month. She may be the fatest dog I've ever seen run.

RD

#30 ·
Charlie Tyson you did a great job w/your dogs /Blue and Ryder. We competed 3X in the early 90s AA Blue VS Chip and mid 1999 Derby 1X Ryder VS Hawk ..Chocolates. My compliment to you was I bought a good pup out of Ryder (Fargo , ND) who became a 3 tour IED dog. I still compliment you for your chocolate efforts. The newbies need to know.

#32 ·
I've trained with Danny and Maestro several times this spring and he is the "Real Deal". What I really like about him are his line manners (very stoic) and his consenstancy. If you look back even at a earlier age Maestro and Danny were Jamming and finishing a lot of Derbies. His body of work so far has been impressive.

I'm hoping to do a breeding this fall to Maestro with Pearl my Roux X Tiara dog. This would be an FC AFC Drake X FC AFC Roux breeding and would be a dirrect line breeding on Barricuda Blue and Ryder.

RD

#34 ·
Jeff,

If it is two quality animals with all the health clearances I do not see why not. I visted extensively with a Professor of Reproductive Sciences from Oklahoma State Univ. Vet School and he had no issues with it and said it was a fairly common occurence in livestock and other sporting breds of dogs such as Pointers.

RD

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.