RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Fall Jamboree Sept 21-22, 2013 Pools Knob Wildlife Management Area LaVergne, Tn

17K views 82 replies 18 participants last post by  duk4me 
#1 ·
Well a late start but the 2nd Annual Jamboree will be held at the Pools Knob Wildlife Management area Sat. and Sun. Sept 21-22. On that weekend, the grounds have been reserved and paid for by the Middle Tn. Amataur Retriever club. Since the date falls so close to the Master National, and nothing has been scheduled, the club has decided that the date could be used as a training day with all guests invited.

Here is where we stand so far. With my own equipment and frozen ducks, I intend to have a setup consisting of 5 marks with wingers in such a manner that a dog at any HT level will be able to train. That setup will be ready by 7am SHARP Sat. 21st. Another individual, barring conflicts also has equipment and ducks ect that he has offered to come with his equipment. This is the kind of support that is needed. Another trainer who was at the last Jamboree also will come if he does not have a conflict with a HT.

Chris attended the 1st Jamboree and was an integral part in making it successful. For me personally. it was a great opportunity to meet Chris and learn some of the history of the creation of the RTF. I sent a PM asking for his advise and input as to how to proceed. Rather than paraphrasing his response, I will send him an e-mail asking him to respond on this thread concerning his position as to support and participation of the RTF and him personally. As to sponsorship, I don't believe there needs to be any sponsors. That DOES NOT MEAN that anybody or any organization can't PARTICIPATE. He did say that he preferred that the term "RTF" not be included in the name of the Jamboree. Other than that I will let Chris respond.

I must say that I was stunned by the beauty of Ken's Maple Syrup Decanters and the detail of the tags HE created. Given Chris' feelings concerning the use of "RTF" in the name of the Jamboree, I would hope that Ken could modify the tags if they so state. What a GREAT job. I can't pass up letting them sit idle. So from now on I will call this the 2nd Annual Jamboree in Recognition of Ken's Vermont Maple Syrup. Personally I would like the name of the Jamboree to be The Annual Maple Syrup Jamboree. We have no rules and no BOD, only consensus of opinions, so what do you all think?

To each and all of you, I will personally commit to have those 5 marks set up so that there is something for all levels of dogs from beginning to finished to be able to run something. I think that can be done and that WILL be done.

Last but not least, I don't like failure but I am not affraid of it. What is needed are those who feel the same way and are willing to participate and make this thing grow. I need volunteers and people who want to participate and jump at the opportunity to meet new people and make new friends. No idea is not worth considering. It may be in conflict with other ideas and it may not be possible but ideas are what something like this is all about. I'M LISTENING and I am hoping to hear from those who don't fear failure and those who want to participate.

How about it?

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
It's birds and dogs on great grounds... What could be better!

Especially any of you "newbies" or anyone with pups... If you are close to Nashville... Get out there and expose your dogs to some fun. No pressure just a good time and plenty of help.

Should be plenty of water this year too, right Cary?

#4 ·
ALL the grounds are great. Up at 4am and trained today. Teal pond full, ran on retriever pond today some marks of qual length. Trained at golden pond which is usually dry but give great structure for land marks. Trained yerterday on the bog which is our tech pond and is full. Land across roat just bush hogged in stips. Wide open field that is level, like one of the Grand land tests was at Texarkana. We have over 500 entries for our HRC HT this weekend, 6 finished flights, 2 seasoned flights and one started flight-sure to be the biggest HRC HT ever!.Still, we won't use all our grounds. Still people calling our secretry wanting to get in but the started flight is full. Nashville just next door, home of the Grand old Opry and the Titans. Lots to do so stay over and see what Nashville offers. I am so lucky to have these grounds to train on!! We have our own pavillion on the property.

Contrary to what some may think the 1st Jamboree WAS A GREAT SUCCESS! Thanks Bill you were one of those that made it so.:D This was and IS a great idea to learn some training ideas and meet some great dog people. No need to sit home and be a skeptic, I promise you.

#3 ·
Okay dumb question - how can it be the 2nd ANNUAL Jamboree? It hasn't even been a full year since the last one or am I crazy? Okay don't answer the second question...

#5 ·
Well let's see. I was 69 when they had the first one and I just turned 70 Aug 11. So since I am a year older and I guess that works for me. And then look on the bright side. If YOU pitch in to host the 3rd Annual Maple Syrup(I hope it comes to be called that) Jamboree, you wil just have more time to make it EVEN BETTER!! How about you come to this one and I WILL come to the one you host.:D

#6 ·
I think I'll pass...TN is a long haul from CO, not to mention I'm almost out of vacation hours and I'm desperately trying to save enough to go on my annual elk hunting trip! I unfortunately took on more judging assignments than I should have this year.

As for the 3rd annual event, no thanks I chair enough AKC events, don't need to add an RTF event ;)

#8 ·
Doesn't matter what it's called. All that matters is that it's a great opportunity to make a new friend or two and put some faces to the names you have communicated with here. Give your dog a few marks on some nice grounds and enjoy some camaraderie with fellow retriever folks.

Maybe we should have a separate puppy or beginner setup?

Or maybe a super singles type setup? Just a few thoughts... It's all just for fun anyway...

#9 ·
Cary, I'll start your sign up page for you. As you know, I have a judging commitment in KY that weekend. If the Open, finishes on Sat, I'll be at the Jamboree on Sunday. If the Open goes to Sunday, I won't make it.

2ND Training Jamboree Sep 21-22sign up sheet. Reply with quote to add your name to the list.

caryalsobrook (three dogs)

huntinman (Sunday maybe helper only)

#13 ·
Thanks Stretch. Send me a PM as to the level of your dog and what you would like to accomplish. That would be a great help. thanks Bill for starting a list, something I haven't thought about. As I said the 2 most important things to accomplish is everyone to accomplish at least one thing in training and to meet new friends. Since this is a work in progress all input is appreciated so let me know your suggestions.:D

#14 ·
If this turns out any thing like the first one, I'm going to miss out on a lot. Any one new to retriever training within driving distance should highly consider going to this. The first one was money well spent. Allas I have a trade show to be at that weekend, not to mention it is the northern opener that weekend also. I always get screwed with work, not enough, or too much. I really wish I could make this. Bill D is a new pup in the plans?

#17 ·
I think it is absolutely wonderful that Cary is taking on the challenge of continuing this event to hold the Fall jamboree.

The first event ran extremely smoothly, had incredibly well-maintained beautiful grounds, and consisted of plenty of friendly and supportive people. I regret that I will not personally be present for the Fall event.

#19 ·
Sorry you can't make it Chris. I was hoping to see that dog you ran last time. Even have plans to have my camcorder to show what can be done with a dog that has not been bred to do what you have taught it. Looking forward to seeing you at the 3rd Jamboree. Until nextime.:D
Cary

#20 · (Edited)
Mary, Pools Knob is between LaVergne and Smyrna Tn. about 20 miles south of Nashville. Plenty of motels in both towns as well as Nashville. There is also an RV Park at the dead end of Jones Mill RD where the grounds are located.I don't know whether Jones Mill Rd is in Smyrna or Lavern but will check mapsearch. I do hope you can come and if you have any more questions, you acn PM me if you choose. thanks for asking.

I have edited this post to show that Jones Mill Rd. is in LaVergne off of Fergus Rd.

#21 ·
I know it is short notice but we have the use of the pavillion which is on the grounds. It has stove and oven, refridgerator, tables and chairs and I feel sure I can get a gas grill out there if needed. It would be great if we had a tailgate Sat. but I would need someone else to handle that part. As usual, VOLUNTEERS are what's needed.

#27 ·
Good luck to you. Sounds like you will be busy!:) Thanks for organizing RTF event and to the others too! Thanks for directions. Have to look at my calender etc

#34 ·
UPDATED..... 2ND Training Jamboree Sep 21-22[/B]sign up sheet. Reply with quote to add your name to the list.

RTF HANDLE. # Dogs/experience level? Attend 1st Jamboree?

caryalsobrook (three dogs). Yes

huntinman (Sunday maybe helper only) Yes

Stretch. (1 black dog) Yes

Duckquilizer (1 HRCH/Almost MH level black dog, also have BB's and a Mini-Z)

roseberry (4 dogs and 1 Frogmore Stew;-))

#35 ·
Thanks Bill. Up, showered dressed and coffee making at 3:30AM. Big HT at the Knob this weekend. 500+ entries and I have to help some and run my dogs. Best part is to see so many friends. Am in Flight D and will be marshalling so say hello if you are out there.

Cary

#36 ·
Jamboree

Busy weekend at our HT but did pick up some more people who will be at the Jamboree. Will post their names when I am organized.

My non-blood brother whose dog I train, was able to come and video the dogs I ran. First thing I saw was that I sent his dog on the memory birds MUCH quicker than my normal routine. Having video while you run can be a great help is showing you things you might not realize you are doing. As long as my batteries last, I hope to video especially those handlers that are just beginning. Shuld be a good way to help them prevent some mistakes.

I do think things are shaping up and when I get organized, I will ty to get some names of those who are coming but don't get on RTF( there are some Chris:razz:)

Duckqulizer and I plan on training togather this weekend and we will try to plan the setups we might use. I said this will happen and it will. The only question is how many want to take advantage of it, so if you haven't already made plans, come on, I don't think you will regret it.

#38 ·
Cary I would love to come down to Poole's Knob but that weekend I will be judging at Mid South over in Bruce,MS. Hope you have a good turn out and a GREAT time....:) Otey

#39 ·
Sorry you can't make it Duck and Otey. I know it is hard on such short notice. There are some here that will come if their schedules will let them One judges like Otey and will let me know probably today. Another will come from Miss. if both he and his wife can. Strangely, it seems that most coming are experienced trainers and so far not many beginning trainers. I do believe this is the type thing that would help them the most. Duckquilizer and I plan on training at the know this weekend but I was just reminded that there will be a fish fry at my house Sat. Maybee we can train that day and he and his wife will come to the fishfry. I would love to have them.:)

trained this morning and dogs did OK. Will do some drills here tomorrow. Dogs are not quite carrying the casts as I would like.

So if anybody else would like to come just let me know. We will have plenty of birds and equipment to set up some good marks and blinds both on land and water.

Cary

#41 ·
I'm glad the event is picking up steam.

I hope everyone is safe and has fun. All who attended the Spring Jamboree at the Pals property can attest to what a good time that event was. Cary Alsobrook is a kind, considerate, and sincere guy. I'm confident this one will be a great time for all who attends.

Chris

#42 · (Edited)
Thanks Chris for changing the name of the thread for me. Hopefully this will eliminate any confusion or misconception concerning the goals and objectives which are to get people togather who love to train their dogs and meet those of like mind. I for one have to come to realize what a GREAT group of people these are.

Chris, I so look forward to seeing you again at the next event. Hopefully there will be enough advance time for you and the many others who cannot attend due to conflict of schedule.

Thanks again,

Cary

#46 ·
Did I get a pleasant surprise Saturday afternoon. I received in the mail a number of bottles of Ken's Vermont Maple Syrup, along with the orriginal tags made up for the 1st Jamboree. There are two things that so far have started each day. 1. that I woke up alive and 2 that there are so many nice people out there that there are still to meet.:)

Ken, I remember the days and the home of my Great Aunt who would serve 2 year old country ham, fried eggs cooked in red eye grease and home made busquets covered in maple syrup. How lucky I was to grow up in such a wonderful environment. If I wake up alive enough times, I hope to be able to hook up my camper, load my dogs and head to Vermont and meet face to face. When I lived in NY, I did see part of New England but did not visit Vermont or NH. Hopefully I will make it there someday.

Ken, thanks so much for the gesture. Those who get a bottle of your maple syrup and one of the orriginal tags will surely be grateful.
Now I am off to train on the grounds I am so lucky to have available to me.

Cary

#48 ·
..Ken, I remember the days and the home of my Great Aunt who would serve 2 year old country ham, fried eggs cooked in red eye grease and home made busquets covered in maple syrup. How lucky I was to grow up in such a wonderful environment.Cary
while that sounds GREAT!
warm a bit and pour over the best vanilla ice cream you have in your area.
if you do, you will not be giving any of the jars away:cool:

#56 ·
Not without adding a small handful of chopped pecans. Ecstacy!

JS

#51 ·
And I should mention Bora's a master dealer of the stuff. He sends you a few bottles just for being "a character on RTF", gets you hooked and then he starts working deals with you, next thing you know you're Bora's syrup maid...

/Paul

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.