RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Any such thing as a "reliable" ecollar under $200?

3K views 19 replies 12 participants last post by  huntinman 
#1 ·
Not for me. I am helping a neighbor with basic OB for his rescue pup. He had bought a "Petsafe" brand training collar, (yes, the same as the invisible fence maker). At first glance it looked like it would do. I tried it out on me the other day before starting to use it on the dog. What a piece of junk!!! It has 8 stim strengths but you have to turn it up to 6 to even feel it. Then it does not "fire" half of the time. It is so very unreliable that I could not possibly use it properly or fairly and I told the owner I thought he needs to take it back and get something a little better. Are there any of these "pet" collars that are good enough? I am TT all the way on e collars. But I know this guy is not going to spring for more than $200. Any suggestions appreciated.

#3 ·
Tritronics sport basic G3 $219. Works fabulous!

#4 ·
Don't forget to check for refurbs on Collarclinic.

There is nothing wrong with the "old" tube style transmitter Pro and Field series collars. They're just bulkier, and don't charge in a cradle.

#5 ·
I checked collar clinic and they did not have anything suitable. I think Susan gave me the best idea, I just did not know TT had one that cheap. Totally off topic, but does anyone know why TT can no longer ship collars to CA????????

#10 ·
I personally use a Tritronics 500 but prefer the Dogtra 1900 NCP mentioned before for consumer use. The transmitter is much better for the average consumer in that it's smaller and rechargeable vs. the 9v battery on the Tri-Tronics Sport. I think I saw the Dogtra 280 model for $199 on Amazon too. If the dog is sensitive that would work OK. You might even ba able to get away with their IQ model Carol.

I have some big dogs that the small collar works fine on and some small ones that I really need a high powered collar for, it just depends.

#14 ·
Ken, you saw something I didn't. My neighbor does not need to " shock a dog" just fine or otherwise. He needs to be able to get through to the dog from a distance because he can not walk. It needs to be a simple, reliable collar that he can use when I have cc'd pup.

#19 ·
For the record, my first collar was a rehab from collar clinic. I used it, worked fine, but then it failed and I moved on to my pro 500. In this case, the simpler and smaller the better with a good warranty. Does not need the range, nor ten zillion different levels. When I clicked the link on collar clinics site nothing like that came up. Now it's up to the guy thats going to use it. I'm giving him phone # and web site for TT and CC with the suggestion that he talk to them about the Sport Basic.
i am also giving him the #for a couple folks that had used ones for sale. Totally up to him to decide the trade offs between warranties, features and price. I really appreciate the suggestions offered. Oh and guess what, it's only the sport basic that Californians can't have! Canadians can't have a Trashbreaker!

#20 ·
For the record, my first collar was a rehab from collar clinic. I used it, worked fine, but then it failed and I moved on to my pro 500. In this case, the simpler and smaller the better with a good warranty. Does not need the range, nor ten zillion different levels. When I clicked the link on collar clinics site nothing like that came up. Now it's up to the guy thats going to use it. I'm giving him phone # and web site for TT and CC with the suggestion that he talk to them about the Sport Basic.
i am also giving him the #for a couple folks that had used ones for sale. Totally up to him to decide the trade offs between warranties, features and price. I really appreciate the suggestions offered. Oh and guess what, it's only the sport basic that Californians can't have! Canadians can't have a Trashbreaker!
:confused: as usual, some rule made by a politician or agency wonk... Makes no sense...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.