RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

West MS HRC Hunt Test, Feb 16 & 17, 2013...

6K views 37 replies 12 participants last post by  Ed Bahr 
#1 · (Edited)
Friday, February 15, 2013, I drove over to Vicksburg, MS with my son, Drake, and our friend Alan. Alan doesn't hunt but he did attend a hunt test with me last Fall, became interested in the sport and has recently purchased a puppy that is now 12 weeks old. Drake had entered Started with his puppy, Bree, and I had entered Finished with my dog Jack.

The HT was held at the Mahanna W.M.A. awesome test grounds. The members of the West Mississippi HRC did a great job, the judges all did a great job and a good time was had by all. Thank you West MS HRC.

My 16 y.o. Son, Drake, ran his 10 month old puppy, Bree, in Started, passing on both days. Drake has done ALL of the training for Bree from obedience to force-fetch and now beginning force-to-pile. He trains diligently in the afternoons after school and on weekends and it was good to see him smiling when he saw that all of the hard work was paying off and everything was starting to come together.

I somehow managed to pass Finished both days (I guess the judges felt sorry for me for the screwing that I got at the Grand and decided to toss me a bone) but hey, never look a gift horse in the mouth! I got 30 points closer to my "free" jacket. I had a really good time, Alan Sandifer shared some of his training secrets with me, I enjoyed a lengthy visit with Mrs. Gerry Autrey, and socialized with Adam Campbell, Scott Sutton, Thad Simmons, and Richard, Zack and Jack Gravely. I have dubbed two of these guys as "Team RAINBOW"!

We also enjoyed some of Richard Gravely's famous tailgate cooking both days. All in all it was an enjoyable experience and we will be back.

Lonnie Spann

See less See more
#5 ·
I will. I really NEED to train this weekend.

#4 ·
oops! I'm used to being a day off but a month off...Guess I need someone else to keep my calendar for me!

#8 ·
Are you saying you shouldn't have passed? Threw you a bone gift horse in the mouth? You are one confusing participant Lonnie and I don't even play the games. Bitch about failing the Grand and joke about being thrown a bone.

#9 · (Edited)
That was said tongue-in-cheek. I agree that I can often be confusing.

Lonnie Spann

#11 ·
I am trying to earn 500 points on my dog. I currently have 350 points and hope to have the 500 this Spring and receive my "free" jacket.

Lonnie

#15 ·
Yes the boys had an awesome time. Zach is a bottomless pit!

We will be at N. AL running Junior and Master. Training with Fishduck this weekend, you are welcome to come join us if you would like to.

Lonnie

#14 ·
Thank you Vicky.

Lonnie Spann

#16 ·
Looks like we will be working on holding blinds, waiting your turn and walking to the bucket. Maybe a pheasant flyer walkup as a 2cd series if I can get some birds. No off it & run a blind. Then another single before they are allowed to pick up the flyer. Would love to train with the North Alabama crew but am trying hard to keep Mama happy:D

#22 ·
Can hardly wait, I need all of the above.

Lonnie

#20 ·
We used to hunt the river and would always be buzzed by hooded mergansers. Ocassionally someone would shoot one either on purpose or by mistake. The group always wanted to know "Who shot the fishduck?". Of course the guilty party would eventually have to reload and admit to his sin. The excuse was always "I shot it for the dog". Seemed like a good enough handle for me and I stuck with it :D:D. Put my real name in my signature to keep the janitor happy;)

I just hope I still have a bed at the white house!!

#23 ·
Jack,

My crew had a good time.

FYI, if you hear me yelling "Jack you S.O.B.!", I'm not talking to you, just my dog.

Lonnie

#31 · (Edited)
Karen,

Would love to, however I mailed my premium in for West TN HRC today. Thanks for the invite.

Lonnie Spann

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.