RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Pigeon Trap is Out

37K views 122 replies 32 participants last post by  golfandhunter 
#1 ·
My son put my pigeon trap out on the top of a service station. He'll leave it wired open for a few days and let the pigeons get used to going in and out. Results will be posted later.

#74 ·
Gregg
It is a funny way how I met him.. Jim lives about 200yrds from my house. One day I saw birds flying around, and though I was in heaven. After getting 5 or 6 of them a training I went. I saw this truck coming up to mine. Not knowing him, he asked to stopped at his house. I went over, he asked me to see the birds. Then he asked me to hold a clip board, then he asked me to look at the bands on thier legs. As he read them off, I started to check them off. Talk about felling Like ****.... He said, If I really needed birds just ask. That is how the price came up..........

Terry

#75 ·
Pigeon folks are everywhere.
You just need to make sure you get the right type. Some would not only never sell a bird to a dog person, they might even harass you for animal abuse (visit some of the pigeon forum sites and you'll see what i mean).

#79 ·
Netted another 15 from the overpass and had to have a chat with the sheriff's department. I was told you have to have a hunting license in Oklahoma (luckily I had mine on me), anyone know what the law really says?
Are you using a ladder to get to the center posts or catching them under the sides where the concrete slopes up under the bridge?

Trapping has been slow this week, only one bird for me, are pigeon bio rythyms off?

Gregg Leonard

#80 ·
Anybody catching any birds? I have not caught any birds this week.

Gregg Leonard

#81 ·
PTF...
http://www.pigeons.biz/forums/index.php

I was suprised to see that there were actually pigeon forums. I see that there are rescues for injured feral pigeons too if any of you trapping need to find a home for an injured pigeon.
Our traps go back out today. We told the lady at the horse stable to pull them in for a week while we were out of town to empty them.

#86 ·
Keeping pigeons is more popular than you might think.

Pigeons are big business
We normally think of the pigeon as being an unwelcome guest in our towns and cities but most of us are unaware that racing pigeons can be worth huge sums of money. One racing pigeon recently sold for a staggering $132,517.00! The 3-year old bird was a champion racer beating 21,000 other pigeons in one long distance race. For this reason he was bought by one British company that breeds racing pigeons for ‘stud’. One very happy pigeon! The previous record price for a pigeon was $73, 800.00.

Pigeon keeping is the art and science of breeding domestic pigeons. People have practiced pigeon keeping for about 10,000 years in almost every part of the world.

#82 ·
I moved 2 of my traps to new bridges yesterday. There is night construction at the one by my office
and I caught all the nesters at another by the house. After work I built a new trap, the latest design
is 36" long x 18" wide and 16" tall. It has a door at each end and a removal door on top. After training
today, I'm gonna build one more and try to set them out before dark.

Gregg Leonard

#83 ·
Built 2 more traps today, caught 7 more birds in the last 2 days.
Also caught a feral cat, 5 more to catch and take to the cat lady.
They can't be gone fast enough, driving my dogs crazy at night.

Gregg Leonard

#85 ·
Dave, send me a text and I will send pics, I'm techno stupid can't post here.
404-580-6268 mobile
Thanks,
Gregg Leonard

#87 ·
Caught 2 more feral cats today, bad news, the neighbor told me there
are 8 total cats. I thought only 5, oh well, 5 more to catch .

Caught 5 more pigeons today, moved 2 traps to new bridges.
The birds found my corn at a new bridge with at least 200 birds, rebaited around the trap, waiting.

I am trying to get 25 mating pairs in my coop, the rest will be flyers and shackled for blinds.
I've got 44 birds in the coop but need to cull out youngsters that won't breed for 6 more months.
Finally, some are starting to pair up and claim a nesting box, no eggs yet.

Gregg Leonard

#89 ·
View attachment 8572

Pretty good first day with the new home made trap!
Nice trap Nate, how did you make your doors?
Did you catch these on the first day the trap was out?
If so, looks like you have a good spot.

Gregg :cool:

#92 ·
Caught another feral cat yesterday, that makes 5 cats transported to the cat lady.
I caught 10 pigeons in one of the new traps yesterday, took 4 days of baiting and waiting.
Also caught 2 in another trap, 12 birds in one day, thats a record for me.

We are starting a long weekend of training today at Day/Didier farms in Grantville, Ga.
Captain Jack, is starting swim by with our blf pup Jesse and hopes to finish by Tuesday next week.
Oh yea, we are gonna shoot some flyers this weekend for sure.
Hope everyone has a great holiday. Gotta hit the road now, gonna wet a hook for an hour at first light.

Gregg Leonard :D

#93 ·
Caught 7 birds today in the trap I caught 10 yesterday.
Caught 4 in the wire trap from Nixalite.

Glen ran Jesse on swim by and she did great today, not to good at treading water yet.
Also ran 4 wheeler singles with her and pattern blinds, big day.

Caught 2 Big Lipped Bass this morning before we started Training.

back at it at 7:30 manania.

Gregg Leonard

#94 ·
Had a good weekend of training, big crowd showed every day.
I caught 5 more birds on sunday and took them for training yesterday.
After Glen finished swim by with Jesse, he grabbed a pigeon and clipped only one wing and put white survey tape on the other wing.
Took a pistol the bird and Jesse up the field about 50 yards, remote sat Jesse, fired the pistol
and threw the bird. I did not catch any birds yesterday, guess the birds took off for the holiday.
But, I was looking for the bird Glen threw for Jesse because it never stopped flying on one wing!!!
If anyone sees a one winged pigeon with white ribbon in the Atlanta area please contact Glen.

Gregg Leonard

#95 ·
I had a trap on the ground near a bridge and under a power line.
Trap was there for 5 days and they ate no corn, so i put 2 live birds in the trap.
Checked the trap yesterday, there is a big red tailed hawk in the trap, pigeons are dead
and he has eaten the breasts out of one bird, the other is dead. Wow he was cool, took 10 mins.
to get him out unharmed.

Gregg

#97 ·
I am back catching pigeons this week and nabbed a homer or racer in one of the traps.
He has a red band on one leg with no marking. the other leg has a white band with AU 2012 and NA 760.
I assume the first is August 2012, any body know how to find out what the other letters and numbers mean?
Thanks in advance for any help.

Gregg Leonard

#98 ·
Know nothing about pigeons, but was interested and fired up the Google Machine and found this: http://www.pigeon.org/lostbirdinfo.htm

AU 2012 means that the pigeon was registered with the American Racing Pigeon Union in 2012. NA is the club code for the North Atlanta Racing Pigeon Club. 760 is a designation to identify the actual bird. Shoot this dude an email and he can probably find the owner:

Club Name : NORTH ATLANTA RPC
Club Code : NA
Club Secretary : BOB TAVARES
City : MARIETTA
State : GA
Phone No. : 678-778-1769
Email Address : pigeon89@comcast.net

#99 ·
Thanks Double Haul, I will send him a note.

#101 ·
Hey Dozer, send me a text and I will send you some pics of doors and traps.

Gregg Leonard 404-580-6268

#102 ·
caught 14 birds today, no banded birds just big bridge chickens.
I made contact with the owner of the banded bird, thanks to Double Haul.
Gonna try to work out a reward of cull birds from him in return for his prized racer.

Gregg Leonard

#104 ·
sent you a text Greg, thanks for help. I made a 24 x 24 x 12 trap. I used closet shelving wire for the door. are you guys using cracked or kernal corn
Whole Kernal

#105 ·
Sorry Dozer, did not get your text.
I am at the CSRA trial.

#107 ·
sorry Dozer, I am not getting your text.
My # 404-580-6268. I cant email pics.
Gregg

#108 ·
All my traps, but one had birds when I returned from the trial on Sunday.
One trap had been opened and birds gone, damn tree huggers.

Anyone catching anything?

Gregg

#109 · (Edited)
my new trap is out by corn elevator, I counted 30 birds on top of the bin. nothing inside yet. thinking about going under bridge and net one and place in trap. I am using corn

I put a decoy bird in my trap that I netted last night, tried a new bridge last night and had a visitor ask me a few questions. I think he was a Sherrif, wanted to know what the heck I was doing and was it legal. I stated the DNR stated is was 100% legal to harvest under bridges and he looked at my license and said sorry to bother you.

had a hard time with this bridge, my pole/net was not long enough and I swear the pigeons new that they woud sit at the top and not move. I am thinking about using conduit in sections. I need about 25 ft of pole

wondering what some of you are using for nets

thanks Gregg for picture also

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.