RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Can High Performance(Hi-Protein) food lead to Hyper Activity

5K views 22 replies 14 participants last post by  Howard N 
#1 ·
Basically can feeding a pup/dog say 30/20-Protein/Fat lead the pup/dog to be hyper? As in whining maybe? or jittery?

Thanks in Advance!

#7 ·
I had one a few years ago, that had an affinity for Crown Royal.

Without breaking sit, he could slip his tongue over the edge of the glass on the table, and get it all without leaving so much as a drop on the table as evidence.

Unfortunately, that was his only real talent.

#8 ·
I had one a few years ago, that had an affinity for Crown Royal.

Without breaking sit, he could slip his tongue over the edge of the glass on the table, and get it all without leaving so much as a drop on the table as evidence.

Unfortunately, that was his only real talent.
Ha!! Have you seen the new non alcoholic beer for dogs? Saw it on the news the other night...

http://bowserbeer.com/

#11 ·
Well I found out that he liked Coffee with Sugar when loading up to go Duck Hunting. I have an SUV and the back gate was up. I had my coffee in the Cup Holster. I walk inside to grab something and lock the door and when I walk back outside I see him in between the driver and passenger seat head down. As I get closer he looks up with coffee all over his mouth.

Now instead of bolting out the vehicle, he attempts to DRINK IT ALL before I can get within arm’s reach of him! I had coffee everywhere lol

So now I'm careful where I set it down.

#15 ·
Well I found out that he liked Coffee with Sugar when loading up to go Duck Hunting. I have an SUV and the back gate was up. I had my coffee in the Cup Holster. I walk inside to grab something and lock the door and when I walk back outside I see him in between the driver and passenger seat head down. As I get closer he looks up with coffee all over his mouth.

Now instead of bolting out the vehicle, he attempts to DRINK IT ALL before I can get within arm’s reach of him! I had coffee everywhere lol

So now I'm careful where I set it down.
I had one of those, too. She'd start licking her chops and following you around as soon as she smelled the coffee and if you set your mug on the coffee table and took your eyes off her she'd slurp it up in a nanosecond. She was quite adept at breaking out of her dog box but rarely did unless you left her unattended in the car with your travel mug in the console. Even learned to pry the top off and upturn them into the cup holders so she could lap it up. I lost her at a fairly young age but I have one of her daughters that also loves coffee. She's just not as sneaky and thuggish about getting to it.

#13 ·
Bowser Beer is for dogs…seriously!Non-alcoholic –Non-carbonated
If it's nonalcoholic and non carbonated, can it be beer?

#14 ·
Mirk wont drink coffee, but he has inhaled a Dunkin Donut on more than one occasion , think he prefers the honey dipped, set one on the center console for the boys and forgot he was in the cab, and it was gone before they could reach for it..

#17 ·
Scout and Chief appreciate a good craft IPA. Indy is old school and goes for the Guiness Stout. All of them sneeze, once, hugely after their sip. Thank goodness none of them like red wine, they only bug Ralph.

#20 ·
Back to original topic, switched a skinny dog from 30/20 to EVO 42% protein, high fat, he put on weight. It must've been a little too hot for him. He became a wild jittery mess. He was always a high powered dog, but became an uncontrollable maniac. Very annoying in a duck blind. Switched him back to a 30/20 mix and he was back to being his controllable self. So for some dogs perhaps a 30-20 might be a tad too much as well. We feed performance dogs this mixture on the assumption that they need the extra calories to put in a full days work, and that their performance will be depressed on lower protein/fat foods. I've had dogs on lower P/F foods and you can see a difference when you switch up. So why would it be improper to assume you would not see a difference if you switch down?

#21 ·
This is what I was thinking and it's similar to what a Local Vet told me. Said that unless you're training hard daily you should just feed normal healthy food.

Feeding him Hi-Performance and then sitting him in a Dog Box in a blind for a few hours could be the equivalent of giving your kid skittles and then telling him to sit still and be quiet.

#22 ·
That is correct. I had to stop feeding Pro Plan Prof to a male I had since he could not work everyday . He was a high rolling nut case on Prof. Still high rolling on maint but much more controllable. My girl I have now is the same way. I notice a lot of difference once I stop mixing prof with maint. Only maint for her now no matter how much work she gets.

#23 ·
I don't want to say anyone is wrong, but it seems to me, that if the dog is not gaining weight, you are giving the same amount of calories. As long as they are getting enough and not to much food, I have a hard time believing that caloric density of the food makes a difference in their behavior. I'd look for something else to be the cause of the behavior change.

Just say, I'm like a Misourian on this regards,

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.