RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Giardia questions help needed!

5K views 27 replies 15 participants last post by  23721 
#1 ·
So I have been dealing with Giardia most likely since I brought my pup home! It's been a month now and been on two different doses of Panacure and Metronidizole and nothing is getting better stools are still runny and doesn't want to eat! I have tried 4 different foods to see if anything sparks his interest and nothing has worked. The vet wants to do X-rays and blood work. The pup is getting maybe a cup of food a day and feel he isn't getting the nutrients needed! The breeder wants him back to see if he can make things better and get him eating and all of the above. What would you do?

#7 ·
Dr Ed,

Aren't there other de-wormer meds? Or am I thinking Cocci?

Sue Puff

#8 ·
Ponazuril for coccidiosis is probably what you are thinking about, metronidazole and fenbendazole (Panacur) are standard treatments for giardiasis

#9 ·
That's it, thanks. It will crop up here at some point, I'm sure. Giardia is standard issue here unfortunately but haven't had an issue with metronidazole not working.

To the original poster, all in house fecals or sent off to Idexx or another lab?

Sue Puff

#13 ·
It just seems a little weird to me that the breeder would take on the liability of taking the puppy back in the condition that he is in, especially when they know that you have already been seeking professional help from a vet. It almost seems like there might be some knowledge on their part about a condition that may have existed in the bloodline such as Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency. I'm not saying that is the case, just looking at all angles and playing devil's advocate.

#14 ·
It just seems a little weird to me that the breeder would take on the liability of taking the puppy back in the condition that he is in, especially when they know that you have already been seeking professional help from a vet. It almost seems like there might be some knowledge on their part about a condition that may have existed in the bloodline such as Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency. I'm not saying that is the case, just looking at all angles and playing devil's advocate.
I dont think this is the case although I would like to play devils advocate but this is the 4 time of the same breeding pair so I would think it would have been caught a while ago

G
#15 ·
my dog was very sick with giardia as a young pup. After two treatmenta of panacur and being revaccinated against it he finally was better. WE bought a spray on line that kills the spores and sprayed the ground after every bowel movement, since he could reinfect himself. We also had my two small dogs checked they also had it so all were treated.

#17 ·
I don't understand why the breeder thinks the dog would be more likely to get better at the breeder's place, unless the breeder thinks the dog is being reinfected at your place.

I'd do the additional blood work, etc, that the vet recommends in case there is something going on besides giardia. I'd try to eliminate any source of recontamination. Like gmhr1, Until he's been better for a couple of months, I'd apply disinfectant after he goes, avoid dog parks or any areas of high-dog concentration like the plague (actually, I'd avoid dog parks whether he's sick or not), avoid highway pet areas at rest stops, keep him out of any water he's been getting into, walk him by a different route if you take walks, etc. You can't keep him in a protective bubble forever, but he needs to get past this and build up the strength to fight future reinfections, if giardia is the problem.

If he's losing weight and still not eating, I'd be inclined to put him on a tasty, high-cal home-made diet of foods that are easy to digest, but I feed my dogs a lot of home-cooked meals so home-cooking is not a big deal for me. If home-cooking is too inconvenient or too intimidating, I'd ask the vet for a special food and try canned food (which has more moisture). You might turn him into a picky eater, but if things are as bad as they sound, that'd be the least of my worries.

#20 · (Edited)
Hmm when mine had it, vet gave us a poop pill (don't remember what it was) (wasn't a wormer, wasn't flagly) to get everything solid, she was on it ~ 14 days, then went off of it, vet said if she got runny again to take her back in they'd have to do more tests. But she went off the pill stayed soild. Older dogs we've always used flagly for a few days to get things back on track if it get really runny, or pepto etc. Unfortunately with a working dog, until his system get used to the microbes in the environment, you'll have giardia-cocci come and go. The 6mts- year can pretty much suck, after that they get pretty good at fighting it off. Make sure you watch for dehydration that can come really quick in a puppy, if they're dehydrated they don't like to eat, might ask your vet about you giving him subcuteaous IV, it won't hurt him, but could make a world of difference in making him feel better. Chicken and rice are standard issue for a pup with a sour stomach, haven't had one yet turn his nose up at it ;).

G
#21 · (Edited)
We bought Quaternary ammonium and sprayed it on the grass after every stool was picked up they said it would kill the cysts. I guess it worked along with treatment, shots etc haven't had any problems in years.
When we would clear up my lab my daughters dogs would come to visit than it would start all over again thats when my vet checked them, they also had giardia so all were treated.

#22 · (Edited)
We bought Quaternary ammonium and sprayed it on the grass after every stool was picked up they said it would kill the cysts. I guess it worked along with treatment, shots etc haven't had any problems in years.
The OP's problem is his location. In this region Giardia is part of the normal flora and fauna. It is found in every lake, pond and small stream. Unless you're going to make your dog live in a plastic bubble, it will be continually be reinfected. You can't avoid it.

I tend to agree with Dr. Ed, I would start looking for other potential causes. Could very well be related to diet.

G
#25 ·
After my dog cleared up we revaccinated him and continued to do so yearly until my vet no longer carried it. He continued to swim in the same water plus travling to hunt tests, field trials and never had a problem. I did try almost every dog food available and ended up with Natural choice which he has been on for about 11 yrs now. My dog had lost alot of weight his coat looked horrible everything he ate just ran right through him. Its very stressful so I know what your going through prayers sent.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.