RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Bottome line for retriever is

2K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  thebigcat 
#1 · (Edited)
Sorry about the previous link I am informed you cannot view story so here tis.

Well it all started out early dark thirty and progressed into a fair duck hunt here in TX. Around 9AM Kate my CLF (26 mos) decided we had enough so I picked up the decoys and was about to go get the Rhino to get out of the area.

Then a few geese started to leave the feed lots and head to daytime roost. I decided to sit and watch and maybe something would come close enough to make it into a batch of corned goose that many of you have eaten at various venues.

As luck would have it soon a lone spec (whited fronted goose) slid by. It made three circles in response to my expert no calling. Third pass it was in my G spot so I dumped said spec into the water in front of the blind just like the preceding GWT. Not bragging but it was a triple in the air and one hell of a series of shots.

Put Kate into position at heel to do a blind retrieve since she was in the blind with me and no windows for her. A soft back and one whistle got her on the bird easily which was no surprise since she is one pass away from her AKC Master Hunter title.

Kate brings me the goose in style and lo and behold it is banded.

We got another shortly thereafter and headed home with our limit of specs and 3 GWT for the grill.

I noticed the band was quite worn but the numbers were easily readable so I went online to report the band. At first the site did not like me cause they asked me to put the numbers in again because the band was TOO old. I went thru the whole process, sent them pics to verify and found out the goose was banded in 1994 as an adult in Nunavut. Needless to say I was a happy hunter.

Today I took my goose dog Maude out for a hunt. An 8 y/o YLF she has always been my meat dog and is a little jealous of Kate methinks.

Foggy, slow starting morning. Heard a few specs calling and maybe some snows. Had my hearing aids turned up to high but it was quiet. Finally I heard something closer, it sounded like they were coming to the rice field we were laid out in. Sure as all get out they are coming, not a lot of noise but enough that I began my special NO calling trick again and they responded by coming right over the decoys at about 30 yards. I am liking this.

I pulled up on the leader of the pair and made a believer out of him. He dropped like a ton so I shifted to # 2 who had flaired a bit and also added her to the bag. Limit is done for the day so I send Maude for # 1. She comes back and holy crap it is banded!!! Big let down when spec #2 was not.

Band close up.

Oh man another worn band. I am in the know now so I didn’t waste much time trying to figure out the procedure to get it reported. This goose was banded in 1996 as an adult. Same province but slightly different location. Imagine that.

Then I found the link to the pages that have the oldest banded birds listed. As it appears the oldest spec was 23 years and 6 mos old. Looking further it appears that banded spec #1 is in 4th place for longevity and #2 might be 6th or so. Now I got to go hunting to see if I can improve my placement. Maybe even buy a lottery ticket. Nah that didn’t work that big lotto last week I only won 4 bucks. Someone didn’t know they should have drawn my numbers.

As always yours Jacduck

p.s. Judges please note the CALIFORNIA CAMO I do wear hunting. Therefore it is normal hunting attire

See less See more
#2 ·
Updated so you can see it.

#6 ·
Congrads on the bling, not a bad looking goose either, I do like the color pallet on the spec. Have you considered mounting it?

#8 ·
Actually the bird itself went to a friend in need along with it's partner with the "tough" warning. I just did the measurements and the 1st band traveled close to 120,000 miles if a straight line route was taken. Was a golfer in college. Hunting is soooo much better for my piece of mind.

#9 ·
Awesome! I really like the no calling you do. I have huntied with tomany people that over call.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.