RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Eddie Bauer

10K views 45 replies 23 participants last post by  Olddog 
#1 ·
#2 ·
Funny. I was doing some pedigree browsing about Air Express and stumbled on Eddie Bauer tonight as well.

#3 ·
Gonia trained the Eddie Bauer dogs. I was up there at about the end of the Eddie Bauer era in the dog world.

#5 ·
Wayne,
I was up at Mchord in the late 60's early 70's. I spent a lot of time at Roy's. Charlie Hill was running Dandy around that time if my poor memory serves. I had a dog named Toni's Blaine Child that I bought from Roy. Jimmy used to throw birds occasionally when you could drag him away from the cars.

#15 ·
I always thought FC Toni's Blaine Child was owned by Rob Leatherbury and was a National Finalist with Tom Sorenson in '74...
TBC was a washout by the original owner - RM bought him for $125 & made him worthy of advanced work - I believe RM sold the dog for $5K - from Ken Carpenter's CNC ********'s Little Sweet Stuff & Gradee Shadee Ladee? but not sure on the dam. I believe Bill Chilcott owned TBC as i know we gave him a lot of *#&$ for his error. Chilcott also owned Dee's Dandy Dude -

#16 · (Edited)
TBC was a washout by the original owner - RM bought him for $125 & made him worthy of advanced work - I believe RM sold the dog for $5K - from Ken Carpenter's CNC ********'s Little Sweet Stuff & Gradee Shadee Ladee? but not sure on the dam. I believe Bill Chilcott owned TBC as i know we gave him a lot of *#&$ for his error. Chilcott also owned Dee's Dandy Dude -
Dee's Dandy Dude was owned by Michael Paterno....who we dealt with on another dog..Bill Chilcott was the breeder

Toni's Blaine Child was from (FC Anzac of Zenith x Dessa Baby)

#6 ·
Thanks for sharing the story. In the article it mentions:
The offspring of Bauer’s dog, Dart of Netley Creek, accumulated the most points in the 1974 Open and Amateur All Age Competition.
• Dart’s mating with Super Chief, which was owned by Louise and August Belmont (yes, those Belmonts, of Belmont Raceway), has produced some of the top Lab lines of all time – many of which are still evident today.

Dart was a Canadian Dual CH who was bred to Super Chief, as someone mentioned & produced great off spring. One from the breeding was Paha Sapa Greta who was the dam of the great FC AFC Ironwood Tarnation (Canadian). My three dogs have him in his pedigree.

Interesting he named his first dog Blackie. Good name!!:)
Great info Thanks.

#9 ·
I am not new to dogs, but new to the retriever game. I have a two year old black lab with a junior AKC title and a NAHRA started. We have hunted two seasons now and he is a retrieving machine. I have learned the past few years while in this sport that there are a lot of real great dogs from various bloodlines. It's amazing to me to see some of the lineage. Some of you guys spit out names of dogs and bloodlines like sports stars. Pretty cool... You have Michael Jordan's of the dog world in the field trial and hunt test worlds. I have had a chance to see some really amazing dogs run. It's awesome to see them perform there jobs so well. I had no idea...

#10 ·
I always thought Charles Hill was Eddie Bauer, from the pictures I saw of him and even seeing him in person if he wasnt the inspiration behind the Eddie Bauer line of clothing, he was their best customer..When the Eddie Bauer stores were still in existence I always chuckled that one could purchase a Roy Gonia whistle among all the other outdoor gadgets

#11 ·
I came across this article today. I did not know this. http://pulse.me/s/ivP2V
I remember standing in line at the EB store in downtown Seattle when they had their annual sales - good stuff @ very good prices. Still have a down hunting cap that I need to get velcro straps on. Though active in the trials at that time never met Eddie Bauer but heard many stories, some not so flattering from very good sources. This area was a hotbed of competition with several early national titles so would question the !st reg dog in WA quote. I believe the titles had to do with the amount of accessible high quality training water we had at the time & the fairly moderate temperatures in this area. Both of which have changed. But the ready access to water would explain why there were several amateur handlers in the area who could play the game.

Dart was purchased for $6K after she had her Canadian titles - she produced Dandy, Suzie, Garbo, Sheba & I believe Air Express - all titled with Dandy winning a triple header of Nationals & Garbo winning the Canadian National - I competed against these dogs at the time so am very familiar with their ability to perform - The dogs did not throw to type size wise as many do - only Suzie & Dandy were dogs that were working size - the others tended to being a little big. Charly was the heir apparent in the breeding end & bred several litters. EB was instrumental in picking the studs based on pedigree without looking at the dog performing. Charly talked to me about taking a pup a couple of times & though I liked his girls did not like the studs used. Needless to say, a line that should still be throwing competitive dogs today soon dropped out of sight. Dandy was a really good dog.

EDewitt was the puppy raiser & worked EB's young dogs - they later went to the Gonia's for AA work - Jim had been working in a Cable Factory & liked the job, maybe says something about his affinity to old metal, he had the new guy's job - when they hired a new guy & he was not able to cut the job - Jim who had been promoted from that job was put back in that job - needless to say Jim is now training dogs to the betterment of the sport in this part of the country. He creates a competitive level that is quite high. If you want to beat him you better have the dog, the dog better be trained & you need to know how to BS the judges :). I was fortunate enough to know Roy, who was quite a character, did any of you know he had NC Springers before going into the Retriever world? Roy had a way of letting you know he recognized folks abilities without going into great detail.

My part for Retriever History :).

#12 ·
I knew Roy and enjoyed talking with him. He was retired then. He learned his early dog training in the army. The way they taught a dog to take a line back then was on a long cable stretched between two poles. With a pulley on the cable and down to the dog. Similiar to the cable used in the 34 ft. tower in parachute training in the army.

He had some good stories. The one I remember the most was "you'll never have to come up with an excuse as to why a dog did poorly as the owner will have one for you". Or something like that.

#17 ·
My first experience with a lab was in ND when I worked the missile sites for Boeing - we are hunting prairie chickens on the reservation & come on a black dog walking beside the road. We coax it into the car as it has no ID & take it home. We advertise it in the paper to no avail. My friend keeps it as it I already have a dog. We would use it to hunt ducks on the Garrison Reservoir & it would mark the duck but leave as soon as the duck hit the water. Nice dog but had a tendency to be a little sticky, so my friend said we needed to cover an ear of corn with barb wire to stop that. I only say this as it shows how stupid people can be.

The dog was very well put together, I have a feeling after seeing Martens Black Powder Kate that he may have been a Marten's dog. We also thought the Indians were using him to chase deer as he would go berserk when he saw one.

Fortunately, when I moved to Butte I met Bob Sparks who was my early mentor & a really good dog man considering we did not have many role models where we lived. He got a lot of his stuff from Guy Burnett.

#21 ·
Marvin, I sure like it when you talk dogs. ;)

I would love to hear about Air Express. It seems whenever I see a dog I really like he's (way back) in there. I wonder if this is just a growing superstition of mine, or if he had something I like that persists.

#22 ·
Marvin, I sure like it when you talk dogs. ;)

I would love to hear about Air Express. It seems whenever I see a dog I really like he's (way back) in there. I wonder if this is just a growing superstition of mine, or if he had something I like that persists.
Greta - I know nothing of AE - never saw him run nor even know who owned him, but I did see the others from the litter run extensively - He may have been a POTL & been owned by the Belmont's? which was not our circuit.

#28 ·
I've been lucky enough to have met a couple folks who were close to both of our local Eddie's. I've been told some wonderful first hand stories. Most recently some tales from a couple of older gentlemen who spent time on safari in different locations around the world with him between making an fc or two. Marvin will probably know the guys famous for stuffing animals that were based in Seattle. Sat down with him and had coffee a couple months ago when I got my book signed.

#29 ·
There was a time when you wanted to buy quality gear to stay warm Eddie Bauer was the go to place. After the business was sold they started making clothing for city people who wanted to look like they were outdoor types. I haven't bought anything with the Eddie Bauer label in at least 25 years, I don't even get the catalog anymore.

#30 ·
When any of those catalogs quit selling hunting gear, I throw them away. Same with Eddie Bauer.

Relating to the OP... The Northwest Retriever Club has been awarding a revolving trophy to the winner of their Spring Open for many years(50 or more). It reads like a a Who's Who of Field Trials. Many of the famous old time handlers and dogs on that trophy including Eddie Bauer.......(and some not so famous... like yours truly:p)

#31 ·
That trophy is awe inspiring. There isn't any room for more engraving or plaques

#43 ·
There are 5 clubs west of the Mississippi River that held AKC trials prior to the Northwest Retriever Club trial: Missouri Valley Hunt Club, 1936; Mississippi Valley Retriever Club, 1938; Idaho State Trial Association, 1938; Nebraska Dog and Hunt Club, 1942; North Dakota Retriever Club, 1944. Northwest Retriever Club's first AKC trial was in 1945.
Jack

#44 ·
I think every pro had a E B goose down coat back in the 70`s.......Jim

#45 ·
Back in the day, the Eddie Bauer stuff was awesome; from WWII flight suits to hunting gear -- if you were looking to stay warm, EB was the place to go. He designed the gear out of necessity; every October he closed the store and went hunting and fishing for five or six months. The new Sport Shop line is a return to the history that made them famous; it's guide driven and has some good stuff for the upland fields.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.