RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Will owners really post EIC results in OFA?

9K views 42 replies 28 participants last post by  Cedarswamp 
#1 ·
I was looking up some info for another person in OFA and decided to run a report for PRA results. We have a somewhat similar problem with PRA in Labradors as with EIC in that test results are not automatically posted by the testing company. I was really stunned at the results of the report. Only 242 dogs have had results submitted to OFA and the test has been out for years. Of those, only 24 dogs are displayed as carriers and there are NO reports for affected dogs at all!

It seems that the DNA testing is like a lot of other areas of dogs - people only want to brag about their good stuff and hide the less glamourous. If we are going to deal with these genetic disorders, we certainly have to be more open with our information than it looks like we have been. I hope the trend will change with EIC reporting.

#2 ·
Results are already coming back. I just got a call from my vet. Jive is a carrier....didn't even realize that it was a possibility....just goes to show what ticking time bombs we have.

He was CNM clear.

#5 ·
We might be surprised.

My experience so far is that people are more upfront about EIC than other ailments.

Except in the case of top stud dogs. They remain mum.

#6 ·
We might be surprised.

My experience so far is that people are more upfront about EIC than other ailments.

Except in the case of top stud dogs. They remain mum.
Have you asked any Kevin? I know one that will state that his is a carrier if asked...

#10 ·
I think that a LOT of people will test..... but will they make their results public?? That was my concern.

I was surprised at how few people used OFA to post results for PRA. Sure, it costs $15, but I thought a lot would submit to make it public. Heck, there are 90 PRA records in LabraData, from which 22 are carriers (almost as many as reported in OFA) and even one affected dog listed with his pedigree. Perhaps it is the cost of reporting that is an issue. People hate getting unpleasant results and then feel insulted they have to pay to make it public :p

#12 ·
Ironically, my dog is at the vet right now for hip, elbow, thyroid and prcd-PRA (Heart was already done, but I've misplaced paperwork, so have to wait for another clinic and submit to OFA). Every clearance is going to be submitted to OFA-good news or heartbreak. It has nothing to do with his being bred (he may never be), but allowing the owner of his sire & dam to see what they are producing.

M

#15 ·
I have submitted everything I can to OFA...I will do the same with the "official" EIC results when they come back. I really like doing "background checks" on various dogs, just for research purposes...right now, OFA has a lot of "holes" where people haven't submitted results (or done tests?) for whatever reason, but it still has a lot of good information on it and is a great way to trace pedigrees.

I think that OFA should definitely consider posting "affected" or "carrier" results at no charge.

#20 ·
Originally Posted by jeff t.

IMO, at some point in the near future, if a dog isn't listed on the OFA site as EIC "clear", most will assume the dog is a carrier.
OK... I got jumped by Marilyn last week because I commented that this is what I have heard from some people about the CNM white list. Do many of you feel the same way about the White List as you do about OFA - if dogs aren't listed you assume they are carriers?

#27 ·
Do many of you feel the same way about the White List as you do about OFA - if dogs aren't listed you assume they are carriers?
No. I don't. I don't assume anything.

#23 ·
I don't know how much money The Labrador Retriever Club, Inc. has in its coffers, but if it could arrange to subsidize the cost of posting good results to the OFA for all the Labradors that have had the DNA tests done I am sure more people would submit their dogs results. With a program like that, if the tests results aren't in OFA's data base, then one could assume that the dog has not had a test done or maybe it is a carrier/affected dog.

#26 ·
I don't really think it matters if they make it public or not. It will be up to the breeder to request a copy of the certification that they are clear if they want to breed to one or the other. Also up to the pup buyer to request proof that the pup is clear, both eic and cnm as well as other ailments. I'm looking for a stud dog now for my eic clear and cnm clear bitch. I have a short list, some very talented dogs, but many owners have not tested and it limits me right now, after the test is out for a while there will be no excuses. If anybody wants my list of clear stud dogs, I'll be happy to share. I do think pups with eic and cnm clear papers will bring a premium price if good breeding goes along with it. Bud

#29 ·
I don't really think it matters if they make it public or not. It will be up to the breeder to request a copy of the certification that they are clear if they want to breed to one or the other. Also up to the pup buyer to request proof that the pup is clear, both eic and cnm as well as other ailments. I'm looking for a stud dog now for my eic clear and cnm clear bitch. I have a short list, some very talented dogs, but many owners have not tested and it limits me right now, after the test is out for a while there will be no excuses. If anybody wants my list of clear stud dogs, I'll be happy to share. I do think pups with eic and cnm clear papers will bring a premium price if good breeding goes along with it. Bud
The dogs with talent that are proven producers of talent will bring a premium price whether or not the owners choose to share or even test. Fact is people will roll the dice and pay top dollar for a chance to own a winner. Always nice to think we are changing the future of our dogs but human nature is just that.

#33 ·
Will people post EIC results with OFA?

I did not request that when I had blood samples drawn last week. Both of my dogs are neutered and both had EIC episodes around 1-2 years of age. So, I had my vet X-ray their hips when they were being neutered. I never submitted the X-rays to OFA as the hips looked okay.

And this does concern me-IF both dog's results show that they are affected and IF the gene is recessive, my dogs haven't been added to a database that is public. Is that important? I will have to think on this.

Why didn't send to OFA? Quite frankly, it is another step and cost in the process. If I feel this way are there others? People who have affected dogs but don't plan to breed?

Anxiously awaiting the results-

L

#37 ·
in my search for a eic and cnm clear stud dog, i have asked several owners of very well known and prominant field trial dogs with high success about any history, testing, etc of both eic and cnm in their dogs. interestingly enough, a couple have told me their dog tested cnm and/or eic clear (eic in the preliminary test) most just say they are not aware of either in thiers dogs background or pups. people do not seem very fourthcoming. bud

#38 ·
I believe the EIC testing agency has made a mistake in not also providing a white list. OFA is adding no value in this particular testing process & it will continue to discourage many from listing results on their dogs. I believe there is a mistaken thought that somehow OFA adds value & that development of a clear list would create additional work or liability. However, with a simple software programming modification, clear test results could be automatically listed publically as soon as the test results are added to their data base. Such a clear or "white" list would provide a great service to the breed(s), breeders & pup owners. Like several others have already indicated, the current procedure adds yet another step but one where no value is added, just expense.

I think many of us sincerely appreciate the CNM white list as we make decisions on pups or breeding considerations. It's a proven process. It's never a bad idea to follow a proven & successful process. AND IT'S NEVER TOO LATE TO change course & provide a white list of EIC clear dogs. It's a good first step toward full disclosure & open registry.

#40 ·
I think it will be a while before people are putting the results on OFA. I have two of mine tested for CNM, one a carrier, one clear. I have two test packages on the way. I will still have two to test. I will be waiting to get the discounted rate and I will be including the one that is a carrier. If you submit 5 or more DNA results you get the reduced rate. I will do this with EIC as well--no matter what the results. If you search for dogs that have the CNM test listed, only 16 come up. I'm guessing that most aren't doing it because you can go to the white list to check. Personally, I like going to OFA for the "one stop shop".

#41 ·
Next week, we're taking our one girl in for her OFAs (hips & elbows), CNM, and EIC testing. Whatever those results are, we have every intention to have them listed on OFA- good, bad, or indifferent, so to speak. However, I believe in being completely honest and forthcoming- that's just me. I know I like to have all the information (good and bad) I can gather when I'm looking at a breeding, and I suspect others like to be able to have the same. Crossing my fingers for good results though!

#42 ·
I've been off the radar for a little while, is there a test kit you can order or do you just send in a swab to...........who?

I'm thinking of breeding Daisy this next fall as she is on injured reserve for now. She is likely a carrier, I'd like to know so I don't breed to another carrier, and anyone who wants to know will know as well.

Pete

#43 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.