RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Mom has gone to Heaven

11K views 88 replies 85 participants last post by  lanse brown 
#1 ·
Its with a heavy heart that I post the passing of my Mom at the age of 100 yrs 3 months...She was in a nursing home in Durango Colorado, and the affects of dementia/Alzheimers finally took its toll. She expired quietly and peacfully with myself and a couple of sibling at her bedside...

I got the call that I had always dreaded on Sunday night,that they would be moving her to the hospice. I drove like a bat out of hell Monday night after work the 550 mi from LV>Durango in about 10 hrs, only stopping for breakfast,gas,and the requisite pit stop..also tried one power nap, but was so jacked up on caffeine that I couldn't relax..My brothers in Austin and Burnet teamed up and drove all day/night on Tues..

It was apparent to us that Mom was deteriorating by the hour and even though she could not speak, she knew each of us were there as we each said goodbyes and held her hand one last time...she went quietly Wed early evening..

I have since returned to Vegas since she requested immediate cremation and no funeral, we will however carry out her further wishes to the Nth letter by spreading a small portion of her ashes on my Dad's gravesite at Fort Sam Houston so as she put it "so I can hound you dad for all eternity"..looks like Mom will get last laugh....

I am not looking for a sympathy but am issuing a challenge...for those of you that still have your Mom's give her a call, or go see her and give her a hug....and if she asks why tell her its from a guy you know on the RTF...for those of you who are like me and have lost your Mom, take a minute today to reflect and think about her and think about how you wouldn't be here without her..

My Mom was an automatic lock for entrance in Heaven, she maintained her faith in God to the end, and even though she lost the ability to read her Bible a few years back she would still pray a few times a day, and attend the daily service at the home when she was healthy

I thank my Mom for bringing me into this world and loving me every day of her life..to say that I will miss her is a major understatement

I would also like to publicly thank Stan (roadkill) for the support this week as I went through this ordeal. He made literally hourly texts to make sure I was safe and in the right frame of mind to take on this..Thanks Pal

also had well wishes from KJR and a phone call from Al Wilson asking to see if there was anything they could do..

and last but certainly not least a big thanks to Lanse Brown, the last couple of years he has not missed a Mother's Day, a Birthday or a Christmas in sending Mom a card or a letter...I honestly think Mom thought she had a son named Lanse as we would read his cards and letters to her

See less See more
#2 ·
So sorry to hear Bon.Just having lost dad I feel your pain.Prayers go out to you and Clint.Hang in there bud!!!Jim

#7 ·
Bon,
My deepest condolences for the loss of your mother and I think your mother would have been very proud of the son she raised for the heartfelt post he wrote. While I am blessed to still have both of my parents, I do not spend as much time visiting with them as I should. Your note was a realization for me and hopefully everyone that we should all take the time to cherish the many blessings that God has given us and not take them for granted.

#10 · (Edited)
I always think back at how my mom taught me to take care of myself very early on, like to cook, to sew, and laundry, things that young boys aren't usually taught. The in Jan of 1992 I found out she had cancer and the treatments started. My dad and I lost her in Oct that same year, just before my 17th birthday. And thinking back, what usually hurts the most is that my kids didn't get to expirence her. This isn't even counting all the other special days like graduations, births, and weddings. My point is, you are a very lucky man to have had her for so many years and to live well through them. And you are absolutely right...go kiss and hug your moms...

#12 ·
My condolences Bon. Wow, what an amazing life to imagine all the things she'd seen in 100 years of living. I'm certain she was an amazing lady.

#14 · (Edited)
Peace, brother......carry on as if she were watching!
Because she is, proudly!

stan b, the Redhead and Elvis

#15 ·
So sorry for your loss. She sounds like she was a great lady with a fantastic sense of humor and I am sure you will cherish the many memories she left with you. She rocked your cradle and made you the man you are today. Bless both of you.

#18 ·
Bon, Please accept my most sincere condolences on the loss of your mother.
We can be counted among the fortunate , mine lived to 94, but no matter how long they are with us , it is not long enough.

john

#19 ·
Bon,

You have my sincerest condolences as well as my apology.

I apologize because I told Stan I'd call you yesterday. I "got busy" with other things and didn't do it. Please know that your buddy Stan was thinking of you and advocating your support and friendship to me over the past couple days.

Maybe this next time I get to Vegas we will meet in person.

I'm deeply sorry for the loss of your mom.

Chris

#20 ·
we all sat around and told stories about Mom the other night at dinner...but the dog related ones go like this

Mom actually paid part of the entry fee for the first National Amateur that Clint qualified for..

When I brought home my first lab, a big yellow male named Straw, Mom wasnt real keen on the idea on having am inside dog, but soon found out that she could keep the front door unlocked and he was the best deterrent for keeping door to door salesman away along with the religious JW members..She found out that by tugging on Straw's collar she could get him to growl at strangers, and would use the excuse that "I cant hold my dog back"

But the funniest sight was the time my dog dug up the dirt bed on my Mom's prize winning roses , she chased him down and whipped him with my heeling stick...and a few minutes later she was spotted sitting under the large shade tree bench with Straw, petting him like they were best pals...trust me that little ole 5'3" inch asian lady could wield a whip with the best of them

#21 ·
we all sat around and told stories about Mom the other night at dinner...but the dog related ones go like this

Mom actually paid part of the entry fee for the first National Amateur that Clint qualified for..

When I brought home my first lab, a big yellow male named Straw, Mom wasnt real keen on the idea on having am inside dog, but soon found out that she could keep the front door unlocked and he was the best deterrent for keeping door to door salesman away along with the religious JW members..She found out that by tugging on Straw's collar she could get him to growl at strangers, and would use the excuse that "I cant hold my dog back"

But the funniest sight was the time my dog dug up the dirt bed on my Mom's prize winning roses , she chased him down and whipped him with my heeling stick...and a few minutes later she was spotted sitting under the large shade tree bench with Straw, petting him like they were best pals...trust me that little ole 5'3" inch asian lady could wield a whip with the best of them[/QUOTE]

Ha! She never had to use one on you, I'll bet...:rolleyes:

#24 ·
I'm sorry Bon. Condolences to you, Clint, and the rest of your family.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.