RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Which dog food?

6K views 23 replies 14 participants last post by  Tim Culligan 
#1 ·
I need help on which dog food should I go with

#3 · (Edited)
Couple of things to clarify would be good information such as how active your dog is, what you do/plan to do with your dog, age of dog, etc. There is a pile of great dog food out there, but I would hesitate to feed any of the "performance" formulas to a dog that does little or no intermediate to heavy training or hunting work. These types of food can lead to weight gain due to higher calorie content. Some trainers/hunters stop feeding performance foods after trial, hunt test, or hunting season ends and back off to the intermediate protein/fat content formulas because the dog doesn't need the calories and the food is cheaper. Any of the formulas from Purina are Eukanuba are great food and both companies support our dog sports very well. As well you may need to test drive a few formulas to see what works best for your dog in regards to stool composition and coat quality, two great indicators of how they work for your dog. Only other advice is you get what you pay for in regards to quality. Stay away from the bargain bin stuff.

#4 ·
Any of the formulas from Purina are Eukanuba are great food and both companies support our dog sports very well. As well you may need to test drive a few formulas to see what works best for your dog in regards to stool composition and coat quality, two great indicators of how they work for your dog.
This is truth... My dog has done ok on purina pro plan performance, but at the trainers they use Euk 30/20 and it really changes the look of his coat... You wouldn't think dog food would do that but it does... Any of the higher end dog foods are going to do their job which is to give your dog the energy he needs to do his job... It's up to you to experiment and find the right match for the dog... I only wish performance blends could be found in sample sizes, 40lbs is a long experiment when your dog only eats 2 cups a day!!

pick a food that gets your dog the energy it needs, then pay attention to stools and coat and you should be good. Good luck!

#6 ·
I will never, ever feed any Diamond product to a dog. Too many bad batches, too many recalls, not near enough quality control. If you can't afford good food, you can't afford a dog! Sorry to be harsh, but what ya gonna do about the vet bills?

#8 ·
is Diamond Naturas Extreme Athlete a good dog food to buy cause i have heard good things and bad things and it looks like to me its about even on the good and bad about it[/QUOTE

You live in a bad part of the country to be feeding diamond products. Some of the critical workers in gaston SC plant have proven themselves to be sub standard.

I am lucky in that my diamond product comes from california which has yet to have a recall. A much better record than euk. or PP,,but only from this one plant.

#17 · (Edited)
No problems that I've ever noticed but I'll be the first to admit I'm no expert. I started feeding it when my dog went away to training because that's what he fed. His dogs seem very happy and healthy. I can attest that mine is as well. I know dogfoodadvisor.com rated it as 2.5 stars out of 5 but if you look at it they were not using the professional in their review. A few different ingredients.

#18 ·
The food roller coaster has started again. I have a bit of a problem with the dogfoodadvisor web page because pretty much everything they give high marks costs an arm and a leg to use. All those hypo alergenic, all natural, holistic stuff cost plenty. So if you can't afford Pro Plan Performance be ready for a shocker when you hit that page:) Some of the intermediate formulas such as Pro Plan salmon and rice are more cost friendly and I know national level field trial dogs that run on it as opposed to performance. In the end your going to have to pick a brand/formula and go with it. Searching this forum for past posts regarding food will see pros and cons for pretty much any food. Best of luck.

#19 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.