RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

College Football 2012 GDG

282K views 2K replies 99 participants last post by  blackasmollases 
#1 · (Edited)
Paging all teams/their fans. The Best Team In Americana plays in The BR.

Geaux Tigers!!!!, regards.

#568 ·
Very good game...a real slobber knocker . Shame either team lost .

#571 ·
Miles went into the game convinced he had to pull something out of his...hat...we'll call it hat... to win. He outsmarted himself and handed the game to Saban. Got to tip the hat the Bama for hanging in there and getting it done when it counted. As for the players, they played a great game.

I think I'll go throw up now.

#575 · (Edited)
Miles went into the game convinced he had to pull something out of his...hat...we'll call it hat... to win. He outsmarted himself and handed the game to Saban. As for the players, they played a great game.
frank,
i agree that miles was pressing a little, but remember:
the athletes he recruited and put on the field last night were probably the top in college football
he and the athletic director schedule the open date immaculately each year, he obviously used the week wisely and came out smack down in the first quarter
he went in at halftime(after bama had adjusted and settled in the 2nd) and brought a dominate team out of the locker room
he had the offensive line in excellent shape after all the injuries and shuffling around. they ran the ball and protected the qb. a notable feat given that they had looked bad to poor four weeks earlier
he had mettenberger peaking. mett was even as good as jacob said he was going to be (NEVER thought i would say that;))
when he was playing safety number three and four on the depth chart, his opponent never was able to exploit the "power play"
he had the team loose, relaxed and ready for death valley. alternately mccarron was so jacked up on endocrine secretions that he over threw td's and big gains all night(or his bruise was hurting?)

i remember recently my tennessee fan, duck hunting buddies giving phat phil fulmer the business. he had a .805 winnning percentage as they were running him off. yesterday the trojans had the vols beat before bray pulled it out.(we are talking the trojans of troy alabama)

who could possibly be better than miles? miles is a gambler. if the fake fg works he is a genius, if the onside kick hadn't bounced up and hit the kicker he is a genius. but all in all..........he is in or wins every game.

#578 ·
I knew somehow Mett would figure out how to play at an SEC level just for us, and he did.

I knew LSU would at least match up with us physically, and might even push us around for stretches, and they did.

I knew Les would take a couple gambles, and he did.

I knew if we could withstand all that, even having an LSU TO wiped out by their own false start penalty, and still be in it in the 4th quarter that we would find a way to win it, and we did.

Reauxll Tide Reauxll!!!!

#579 ·
All that said, it was the epitome of grown man football out there last night. LSU really helped themselves by scheming to throw out of power formations, which effectively took our best cover linebacker out of the game for the most part. It helped them too that our real deep threat at WR did not play after the overthrow, which may not have actually been an overthrow given the condition of his ankle.

On to next week and a classic trap game with A&M. The fact that we are likely physically beat up and would have a tendency to come out flat after a game like that leaves us vulnerable to a QB who can use his feet to extend plays and create like Manziel can. It should be very interesting.

#581 ·
Expect Oregon to rise in the computer rankings and move up in the BCS atleast over Notre Dame. And for those that say the Ducks can't play defense, read the articles where it states how many pro scouts attended the USC vs Oregon game. Lot's of pro talent on both sides of the ball and maybe even a Heisman winner. And remember, this was the first game that the 1st string played the second half. The D is better than you think.

#582 ·
51 points in a game & that's "Better than I think."???? That's about how many points LSU or the gumps expect to give up in a month. You play in a conference that can't spell defense & you run a gimmicky spread rushing attack that doesn't work in big games against OOC teams.

#583 ·
Don't go crowning AL yet. They have to finish the season. And play Johnny Football's team (Texas A&M). A long shot but with some outside intervention and overconfidence on AL's part, it could happen. Well, maybe. Well, hopefully.

#584 ·
Oregon will come up some in points only b/c the (Beloved)USC was ranked AND the ONLY reason USC was still ranked with 2 losses was b/c of their ridiculously HIGH Season Starting Rank at the beginning of the year. The only ranked teams they've faced, they've lost to and the loss to a 5-4 Arizona Team.

If the past OOC Big Games are of any consolation, I'd expect a Team like Bama to have equal are similar results against Oregon as the other Legitimate Defenses the Ducks have played against.

Still not sure why folks get all gitty about these high flying offenses and then claim some sort of Fear Factor. Just how many MORE times must we here, "NOBODY wants to play this High Powered Offense"....Oklahoma a few times, Ohio St, Florida St., Texas and just recently Oregon. Within the past 12 years or so all these teams were touted, 'some record setting' as the most highest scoring offenses in College football History, all Failed to bring home the Crystal in their national Championship due to one stingy fact. They played a team with a DEFENSE.

Every year we have to hear it over and over again. This team is so fast, that team is nothing to mess with, they score a point for every minute they play yata yata yata, they just can't be stopped.

Then when the Big game is on _____________________ Flat-line. Why? What happen? How did it happen?

LSU holds the Ducks to 13 points until the 4th Qtr. when the game was well in hand,
Auburn holds the Ducks to two TD's and less than 75 yds rushing,
Ohio St and Boise had the same recipe the year before that.

The saying is as old as College Football itself. Defense wins Championships, yet some still seem to be blinded by the blazing speed of run-a-muck offenses. Well, blinded at least until it all comes crashing down in a Title Game.

Eventually I guess they will win the big one against a Defensive Team. I mean eventually its got to happen right? until then, I have to just sit back and shake my head.

A look back at the last 14 years or so tells the tale of high Powered Offenses, and the failures thereof to bring home the Crystal. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BCS_National_Championship_Game

#585 · (Edited)
Just a wierd thought: if defense wins games, then why do NFL teams pay the highest salaries to offensive players?? Seems to me that if you want to win championships, most of your money would be spent on defense (but it's not).

#586 ·
Just a wierd thought: if defense wins games, then why do NFL teams pay the highest salaries to offensive players??
According to who?? Dewight Freeney and Elvis Dumerville are the two highest paid players in the NFL. Both are Defensive ends, go figure...The big time money making positions in NFL will ALWAYS be O lineman, Pass rushers and QB's.

Bottom line is, High flying offenses sells tickets, defense wins championships and last time i checked LSU and BAMA sho ain't having no problem selling tickets.

#590 · (Edited)
#591 ·
That's complete Bullshit IMO, and is being pushed by a lot of AP Sports Writers. It's on Bleacher Report and Yahoo Sports.

Oregon doesn't deserve anything but what they earn.

If K-State and Oregon Win out, K-State should go hands down having the tougher Schedule.

If Notre Dame wins out, Lord help us lol

#592 ·
LSU drops only two. Now sits at #7.

If K-State wins out LSU could end up playing OU in the Cotton Bowl.

USC shouldn't even be in the Top 25.

#593 ·
USC definately should not be in the top 25.The name factor and their rediculously high preseason ranking is keeping them up there. I think it's amazing at being this point of the season and still having the SEC holding 5 spots in the top 10.

#598 · (Edited)
#599 · (Edited)
what eddie george said this morning will create a war. yes we are talking an all out war!

there is no possible way the nfl owners and the national football league itself will sit by and not come after eddie george for this. when the player's association puts a retired star out in front making statments just to bolster the evidence in their "concussion lawsuit" you know the gloves are coming off. look for the league's attorneys to make this messy. they will try to show this isn't because of a career of head injuries......but i doubt they will be successful.

note: i am only kidding, i hope no offense will be taken by former nfl players or others suffering from the effects of head trauma.

#600 ·
Eddie is certainly entitled to his own opinion. A lot of folks were saying last week that Alabama needed a challenge because they hadn't played anybody. Seems like the same folks are now saying that because Alabama didn't beat a physically similar team in the "Saturday night in Death Valley" environment they were all hyping by 40 points that we are somehow not any good. Interesting analysis to me for sure. I don't know if a lot of people who like 61-52 games can really appreciate the physicality on that field Saturday night.

If Alabama wins out, which is still a very big if (I am scared to death about this weekend), one of Oregon and Kansas State will get the chance to prove or disprove what Eddie said. Oregon is a very good football team, no doubt. Recall that in 2010, as an example, Alabama scored more points on *uburn than Oregon did.

#602 ·
Johnny Football will have y'all worried for awhile. I just don't see y'all losing. The truth be told, only Georgia can beat y'all of the possible remaining teams. They're built to go head to head with LSU & the gumps. If y'all win that game, The Nat Champ Game is a blowout. Especially if they put Oregon against y'all.

#601 ·
Yesterday AL was favored by 13 1/2 pts.

#603 ·
I think, like is usually the case for Speedy B QB's, It takes a Defense a Qtr. or so to get the timing down and then put the cuffs on.

I think A&M is capable of scoring in the 17 point range against Bama, but how will A&M stop Bama?

and like I said when LSU played them, their QB is also their leading rusher, If you stop him, then you've essentially taken out half their offense. Now what?

I also think it’s a grave mistake to make the comparison between Johnny Football doing good if Zach M. could. Last I checked, Johnny plays behind A&M’s O-Line, not LSU’s. Zach M. was playing @ home, not in Tuscaloosa. BIG Difference.

#604 ·
Johnny F Football against the Texas defense scores FIFTY.....against the Bama defense he may break a run or two, or they may break him in two, they will force him to throw the football and he is just slightly better than Dennard Robinson who they already handled earlier in the year..the kid is exciting but this is the big time

#606 ·
As with Tebow, Newton, and Robinson before him, the name of the game here is to stay in your rush lane, keep Manziel in front of you, and make him throw from the pocket. If he beats you doing that tip your hat and move on.

#607 ·
Like I said it will take outside intervention for TAMU to win.

But it has happen before. A long time ago but once when Gene Stallings coached the Aggies to a victory against Bear Bryant's Tide. The second time was when Jackie Sherill coached the Aggies and beat AL. AL had a powerfull running back who A&M's wrecking crew stopped three times on a practically nothing and goal. I can't remember the backs name. A legend at AL.

Just hoping.

I think I'll watch the movie "We've Never Been Licked" starring Noah Berry, Jr. and Robert Mitchem just before the game.

#608 ·
Wayne you guys are set up for your best chance.

Bama will be playing its 5th straight SEC opponent. The last of which being the most physical and emotionally demanding and was on the road.

They'll be back Home, licking their wounds and feeling relaxed. Will they be relaxed to the point of laziness? or relaxed to the point of playing loose and confident?

Guess we'll see.

#609 ·
Oops the Jackie Sherill game was against the other Alabama school, Auburn. The running back was Bo Jackson.

#612 ·
are me and wayne nutt the only two people who care about college ball this weekend? aggies and tide gonna be a good one!

chizik has his back against the wall, will the bulldogs show up for their 2nd biggest rival of the year? i hear bobby petrino and his girlfriend will be watching the game with jay jacobs?

let's hear some smack talk folks!!!!

#614 · (Edited)
Who is Jay Jacobs? Auburn AD? Yesterday the odds went back to -14 for AL but now back to -13 1/2. I keep waiting for a sign of an outside intervention. Anyone heard of something that would cool off the AL team?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.