RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Young Girl's First Field Trial Experience

7K views 31 replies 24 participants last post by  Jeff Bartlett 
#1 ·
Thirteen-year-old, Marisa Melo, and her seven-year-old dog, Dolly, became teammates a couple of years ago when Marisa's beloved dog, BJ, with whom she titled in Senior as a Junior Handler, was forced to retire, and so was unable to run the Master with her. Marisa qualified Dolly for last year's Master National and made the trek from California to Alabama!

Since then, Marisa has yearned to try her hand at field trials. She observed the Qualifying stake at the Lassen Club's trial in February, then immediately went to work to prepare both herself and Dolly for the Chesapeake Club's all-breed trial in March. Although Dolly has run the qualifying stake before, this was Marisa's first time stepping to the line in a field trial.

Was she nervous? Not in the least! She was relaxed, poised, and confident! When she walked off the line after the combined water marks and blind, tears of joy flowed freely. She knew she and Dolly had a good run. She humbly commented, "I wasn't expecting to get through the first series. Now, I just hope we get a JAM." She knows how tough the competition is!

After the ribbons were awarded, one of the judges approached Marisa and said, "You are a terrific handler!" Many other handlers and observers warmly congratulated Marisa, which will surely encourage her to continue in the game.

Dolly has been trained via Mike Lardy's "Total Retriever Training" program. Marisa has become a student of Mike's program so she can better understand, and effectively maintain, Dolly's training. Marisa will be attending Mike's Basics/Transition workshop, this April, in Corning, CA, to further her education, as she wishes to have an integral role in the training and handling of the next family puppy.

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/p206x206/549945_547383678615076_1632551380_n.jpg

See less See more
#3 ·
WOW!!! Fantastic! Way to go Marisa!!! Hope to hear more reports on this young star in the future!

#4 ·
Not too many first time handlers in the Qualifying walk away with the blue ribbon. 13-year old Marisa did. Somehow Mike Lardy heard about her win and called her Sunday morning to congratulate her. Doesn't get any better than that.
Helen

#6 ·
And that's what its all about!

#5 ·
Scatter creek retriever club invites Marisa to our summer trial to compete and club will wave entry
But beware Marisa we don't no that Lardy fella. Lol
We would love to have you along with any young handler.
We extend too all young handlers we will wave entry fee to run our trial
Congrats your youth will prevail over the old farts )))

#7 ·
I had the pleasure of meeting this amazing young woman when I was in CA last year. There is our future folks ;)

#8 ·
It is great to see someone so young so committed to working with and running their dog. Great to see she was rewarded for all the hard work!

#12 ·
Way to go Marisa and Molly!!! Great job!!!

Noticed Marisa even has the nice handlers jacket and the pink whistles so not only is she a good handler, she is looking good while on the line. Kudos to proud family for the support and encouragement.

Looks to me like this young lady can do anything she wants to do.

#17 ·
REALLY WWWOOOOWWWW , Nice job and congrats!!. The picture surprised me too!

#18 ·
Hi Marisa it's mom and dad, (we know your on here reading) and just want to say how proud of you we are! You can do whatever you set your mind to your showing us that daily! We would like to thank everyone that continues to support our daughter as this sport has truly wonderful people in it. Thank you Kerry and Misty (mom) for all the hours you spend mentoring her! Big shout out to her corporate supporters Warner of Tri Tronics and Rick of Eukanuba who have been helping for three years now and our small business supporters Dallesasse whistles, B&B RV, and LabAdored as it is always good to see these businesses giving back to the sport. Well my daughter said get the trailer ready we got to go pre train in Oregon this weekend lol so again thanks to everyone!

Dad & Mom

#22 ·
Did I meet Marisa and her mom when they were pre-master national training at the Kress's in AL? IF that is the same team from CA I was impressed then that not only she could handle but she liked to fish as well. Someone raised that girl right!!! Chad

#28 ·
I want everyone to now how much Kerry Lavin has done for me. Not only has she given up her dog to me a few years ago but has mentored me through my dog training career. My aspiration is to be able to train dogs like her one day! She is one of the most influential people in my life and I thank her. I can't express how much she means to me.
- Marisa

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.