RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Please participate in New Pythiosis Study!!

14K views 65 replies 27 participants last post by  weathered 
#1 · (Edited)
With spring just rolling around the corner and many dogs south for the winter, this is a good time to think about this new emerging tropical disease. When you loose a dog to it, it will never....ever leave the back of your mind!

Since I lost a dog to Pythiosis in 2006, I know it is capable of infecting dogs in my area. I have worked very hard to keep myself informed of any new research or treatments for pythiosis. Early diagnosis is the key to surviving infection, so I test my dogs every 6 months to keep abreast of whether they have been exposed.

Unfortunately, there is relatively little new research on the horizon from LSU, and no funding dollars are being given out from Morris Animal Foundation or the AKC Health Foundation.

Description of Pythiosis
Pythiosis is a devastating and often fatal cause of chronic GI or cutaneous disease in dogs, cats, cattle, equines, captive polar bears and humans. It is caused by Pythium insidiosum, an aquatic pathogen belonging to the class Oomycetes. Oomycetes differ from true fungi. Pythium infections are essentially non responsive to antibiotic or antifungal treatments and surgical resection of lesions saves only 20-25% of infected animals. Many dogs with pythiosis have a history of recurrent exposure to warm freshwater habitats. However, some cases are observed in suburban house dogs with no history of access to lakes or ponds. The incidence of Pythium infections in dogs is not known, but the number of confirmed cases has risen dramatically in the last 5 years. Cases in the U.S. have gone from less than 10 a year just 5 years ago to more than 100 cases per year. Experts in the field estimate that 200-300 cases of canine pythiosis will be confirmed in 2008, and many more cases will be undiagnosed or misdiagnosed.

Symptoms of gastrointestinal Pythiosis
Clinical signs associated with Gl pythiosis include weight loss, vomiting, diarrhea, and/or blood in the stool. Physical examination after the disease has progressed reveals a thin body condition and palpable abdominal mass. Signs of systemic illness are not typically present unless intestinal obstruction, infarction, or perforation occurs.

NOW TO THE HEART OF THE STUDY -
Bob Glass with PavLab in Hutto, TX, who is the only scientist I can find actively studying this disease in canines, has volunteered to test up to 200 field trial labs for FREE!! You simply pull the blood on your dogs, fill out his form, and send it in to him. Results are quick and fully confidential. For additional information see my website at http://www.pythiosis.com/fieldtrial.htm

In order to do the blood test 3-5 ml of blood in a red top tube or 1-2 mls of serum should be submitted to the PAVL diagnostic laboratory at the following address. Samples should be refrigerated from the time of collection until shipped, but should not be frozen. It is recommend to ship by Priority Mail with an ice pack if possible.Please complete the attached form.
Click this link for form!
Pan American Veterinary Labs
166 Brushy Creek Trail Hutto, TX 78634 Phone: 800.856.9655 Fax: 512-846-2140 E-Mail: info@pavlab.com

You may also visit my website http://www.pythiosis.com/ for additional information. I received 46 forms from this site with confirmed cases of pythiosis in 2007. Affected areas are as follows:

AR 4, AZ, CA, FL 11, IL, LA 2, MD, MS 3, NC 2, SC 2, TN 3, TX 15, VA

Again, I urge you to participate in this study.....ESPECIALLY if your dogs has been in these states!!

Please contact me if you have any questions,

Tammy Bell

See less See more
#2 ·
Hi, Tammy,

My Labrador, Scout, is participating in the study. I already had an appointment to take Scout to the vet today, so while we were there, I had my vet pull blood for the study. I live in the Austin area, so called the researcher, Bob Glass, and hand delivered the sample to him.

Once I started filling out the questionnaire, I was surprised at the number of ponds in several areas of Central and Southeast Texas that Scout has been swimming in.

I'm so proud of you for taking on this cause. Most people have never heard of pythiosis.

I encourage others to send in samples as well.

Blessings,

Martha Lancaster, Georgetown, TX

#3 ·
Hi Martha,

Thank you so much for helping us out! This is a disease I wish I had never heard of and could choose to ignore. Unfortunately, for me it is real, and I hope you never have to experience what I have.

For the sake of all dogs, Labrador Retriever or not, please participate and help us understand this disease.

"As far as the research being necessary, I guess the fact that this disease is killing hundreds of dogs each year and this group is potentially the most “at risk” makes it seems necessary to me." Bob Glass

Research has to begin somewhere, and I will pursue this until the end! I wish you could read the stories I have received throughout this year of dogs lost in the prime of their life....so sad.

Thank you for your help.

Tammy

#4 ·
Tammy, this is such a great cause, that you have set out on! If people don't go for this they are truly missing out. Thank you so much for your time and effort!!! I hope you save even more dogs like you did with mine.

This fall, after considering what I have put my wonderful dog through, I decided to send a blind blood sample into Bob at pavlab. My test came back postive 3 times. After the third test and the fourth day my dog was on pavlab's vaccine. We never showed any symptoms except dog actually refused getting into water once after he always crashed it before. I figure that was the begining. I never would have known without your website and Bob's information too.

If any of you folks have trained in the states listed, I would suggest to get your blood sample in you have nothing to loose and you may just save his/her life.

Jim Harvey

#5 ·
Thanks so much, Jim! I am so happy that Harry is doing well. :D

When I lost Rusti, I agonized over the best way to prevent this disease from taking other dogs. That's when I came up with the website www.pythiosis.com which has the latest information on the disease. The best news is that it is CURABLE!!

My initial goal was to save just ONE DOG and owner the agony of what I had been through. We have accomplished that goal and more!

The key to survival is 'early detection'! From what I have seen once the symptoms begin, the disease has already taken hold of their gastrointestinal system. It then becomes a race against time to save the dog. The pythium will grow rapidly and take over the dog's intestines in a very short time. In a matter of just 3 months the dog is dead.

When you look at the time and money we put into these hunt test and field trial dogs, it is a very simple decision for me to simply test for this every 6 months. I can't run a test every time my dog throws up or has diarrhea, so this test lets me know whether they have been exposed and gives me peace of mind.

So, the next time your dog is at the vet, please have him draw some blood and send it in to Bob! Visit this link for the information

http://www.pythiosis.com/fieldtrial.htm

Thank you all,

Tammy Bell

#6 ·
Very, very scary... :(

#7 ·
Hi, Tammy,

Well, I am very glad that I had Scout tested. His results are not negative...they are "borderline", which means that he has been exposed to Pythium, but is not infected.

Bob Glass plans to send the sample to Michigan State University for further testing when he gets more samples with similar results.

Scout has not been out of the state of Texas, and I have a good list of the ponds he has been swimming in (Central and Southeast Texas).

Thanks so much for the "wake up call"!

Martha

#8 · (Edited)
Martha,

Thank you so, SO MUCH for participating in this study. :D This is the information that will really help Bob understand more about pythium infection.

From what I understand after talking with Bob and Dr. Leo Mendoza at Michigan State University, most canines are resistant to the pythium. They don't know yet what makes some canines susceptible to infection, but this study may help them understand this part of the puzzle more thoroughly. Because some dogs do not have the resistance to this disease, pythium infections are usually seen in young dogs only (or older dogs who previously did not live in the states listed, but then move to them later in life.)

By knowing how many of our dogs are actually exposed to the pathogen and how many have this resistance, then they can proceed from there to better prevent and actually CURE this disease.

AGAIN, I URGE ANYONE WITH A FIELD TRIAL DOG TO PARTICIPATE IN THIS STUDY!!
(ESPECIALLY IF IT TRAINS IN THE STATES LISTED.)

AR (4 cases), AZ, CA, FL (11 cases), IL, LA (2 cases), MD, MS (3 cases), NC (2 cases), SC (2 cases), TN (3 cases), TX (15 cases), VA
(These numbers are from responses to my website only!)

Visit www.pythiosis.com for more information and to participate!!

Tammy

#9 ·
Sometimes those of us who were present at the first retriever trial ever held can fall into the trap that we are VERY KNOWLEDGABLE and beyond reproach, after all I was with Dr. Stanley Abadie at LSU School of Tropical Medicine when he first created caracide in 1961 which we used as the first heartworm preventive. Well Tammy has done us a real service-today Dr. Glass called me back and I had all three-Eva, Sophie and Rosa's samples pulled and sent to Dr. Glass. The vet in Troy Alabama has treated two dogs with Pythiosis- one died, one was caught early and is now alive and healthy,these were not field trial dogs. Thank you Tammy for making me aware of what exists in my own backyard. Also I might add that if those out there are not aware of Blastomycocsis you ought to read up on the signs as it too will be too far established unless you catch it early. I know RTF has had articles on this however it never hurts to review the signs so that YOU are able to make the suggested diagnosis to your vet. Most Vets do not see much of either of these maladies-- mostly it is "another day, another spay". Thanks Tammy-add Alabama to your list of states. Best, Lanse

#11 ·
The vet in Troy Alabama has treated two dogs with Pythiosis- one died, one was caught early and is now alive and healthy,these were not field trial dogs. Thank you Tammy for making me aware of what exists in my own backyard.
I decided to turn my loss into something positive for the dogs, Lanse. Spreading the knowledge of this disease is simply something that is very needed right now, and I am more than happy to be a part of it. Thank you for participating! Alabama is now added to my list also.

With knowledge of this disease and the other mycoses we are better equipped to protect our canine friends and companions from these devastating diseases.

The experts tell me that pythium exists in all of the gulf coastal states. I am not sure about infection in Australia. You might contact Bob at Pavlab or Dr. Mendoza at Michigan State University. It originated in Thailand. Too bad we don't have a real time map that would let us know about areas of infection. Since it is not a contagious disease, the CDC is not informed of infection of these diseases.

Again, I urge everyone to become aware of their own dogs status and help Bob out with his study. Send in your samples!!

Tammy

#13 ·
Would it be possible for people who live near Hutto, TX to go to the lab and have blood samples drawn? If so, please provide the contact info? Thx!
Ann/Tammy... that's a great question (since my vet is fairly far away - 45 mins). I'd like to know that too. I have 3 FT dogs we could use and I live about 10 minutes from Hutto.

#14 ·
Well, Bob is trying to work this out with a local vet for those that are near Hutto. His laboratory isn't exactly set up for this, and we didn't think there would be so many asking!

He has gone out of his way many times to meet and deliver serum to owners who have infected dogs, so I'll bet he will be able to set something up soon.

I will let you all know.....

Tammy

#15 ·
Thanks, Tammy!! And thank you for dedicating yourself to this and helping with getting dogs tested (to help find a "cure").

#16 ·
Thanks, Sheril! Hopefully, everyone in the field trial community will join in to help get us closer to a cure by sending in their samples! :)

DON'T FORGET TO COMPLETE THE ATTACHED FORM TO SEND IN WITH YOUR SAMPLES!

In order to do the blood test 3-5 ml of blood in a red top tube or 1-2 mls of serum should be submitted to the PAVL diagnostic laboratory at the following address. Please complete the attached form. Click this link for form!
Pan American Veterinary Labs
166 Brushy Creek Trail
Hutto, TX 78634
Phone: 800.856.9655
Fax: 512-846-2140
E-Mail: info@pavlab.com

#17 · (Edited)
I took 3 of my goldens down to the area near Cape on Patrick, AFB.

2 of my 3 goldens got sick with the runs. Now I would love to send
and do the study but live in NC mountains where this stuff doesn't
exist.

We have problems with hookworms, parvo, and coccidia.

Several of my breeder friends had wild dogs show up on property
with rabies and parvo near Marion. She lost 4 dogs. All under the
age of 1 year old.

I would never take a chance and only take dogs in the water
when it is below 60 degrees. Here in mountains that is only during
March to October time frame. We have been in drought so the
water is fresh if it stays for very long. Being from Midwest near
Wyoming the water is never tainted.

Sorry you should train your dogs and test for bugs once a year.

On next checkup I will have Lilly and Kodi checked. Kodi has never been exposed.

The rest of dog have been exposed.

#18 ·
Last tuesday I pulled blood on my 3 bitches. I then sent it to Dr. Bob Glass via Fed Ex. On friday Bob ran the samples and today I spoke with him. Eva-6yrs old showed positive to having been exposed. Sophie 4 yrs old showed positive to having been exposed Rosa 3 yrs old showed no exposure at all. Probably due to age. I have to judge Lincoln Trail in May and Bob has asked that if I could would I resubmit Rosa . Since this is also the day we are leaving to go back to Montana I am going to inorder to see whether or not she may become exposed during the next 3 months in Alabama. I would suggest that those who pay pros big $ every month and have to earn lots of $ to pay the pro MAKE the pro have your dog checked. It should be a part of every pros job to assure the health of their client's dog. Of course that may be asking too much,but it seems that since the pro tells the client what to do, in this case YOU the client should tell the pro how you want him to care for your dog. Not dissimilar to what Benjamin Disraeli in 1874 told William Gladstone in the House of Commons "educate your master." These dogs are my life and without the dogs there is no life.

#20 ·
Last tuesday I pulled blood on my 3 bitches. I then sent it to Dr. Bob Glass via Fed Ex. On friday Bob ran the samples and today I spoke with him. Eva-6yrs old showed positive to having been exposed. Sophie 4 yrs old showed positive to having been exposed Rosa 3 yrs old showed no exposure at all. Probably due to age. I have to judge Lincoln Trail in May and Bob has asked that if I could would I resubmit Rosa . Since this is also the day we are leaving to go back to Montana I am going to inorder to see whether or not she may become exposed during the next 3 months in Alabama.
Looks like we already have a high exposure rate! Just from the tests on Martha (TX) and Lanse's dogs (AL), we have 3 out of their 4 with exposure. I had my 3 dogs tested (MS), and they are all negative. I will do as Bob suggests and continue testing regularly to monitor their levels.

I would suggest that those who pay pros big $ every month and have to earn lots of $ to pay the pro MAKE the pro have your dog checked. It should be a part of every pros job to assure the health of their client's dog. Of course that may be asking too much,but it seems that since the pro tells the client what to do, in this case YOU the client should tell the pro how you want him to care for your dog.
I would hope that some of the pros will step up to the plate, but I doubt they have time to read this forum. Ultimately, it will be up to the clients to insist that it be done. It is only in the best interest of their dog's health.

Tammy

#21 ·
Tammy-

First-I don't know how I missed this-especially it being a sticky. :-( Secondly-thank you for being proactive and using a painful experience to help all of our dogs. I'm not terribly familiar with this disease (am going to look at the website after posting), but have known a couple of dogs that were lost to blasto. They never had a chance due to an inability to diagnose in time, which is exactly what makes this disease something to make owners aware of.

My dog has a vet appointment scheduled soon & he was in TX last year and just returned a couple weeks ago from a couple months this winter. Had you not posted this thread-I would have no idea that he could be in danger. If the 200 dog limit hasn't been reached-I'd like to submit a sample.

Again-THANK YOU!! Our dogs give us everything they have day in and day out, so we owe them nothing less than taking every precaution to keep them healthy, happy and safe.

M

#22 ·
Miriam,

Thank you for the good words!

Yes, there is still room. Please send your sample to Bob. Not only will you be monitoring your dog's health, you will be helping many dogs in the future overcome this disease with Bob's research!

Thank you for participating!

Tammy

#23 ·
I will be sending my sample out today! The veterinary hospital I work at is now dealing with this for the first time, its very scary. Are there any special shipping instructions for the blood other then red top tube?Thank you so much Tammy for all of your hard work.

#24 ·
No special instructions for the blood that I know of, but I did overnight mine in.

Bob's phone number at PavLab is 800-856-9655 if you need to call him.

Tammy

#25 · (Edited)
Tammy, I lost an 8 month old Cosmo pup last year to this horrible disease. I had never heard of it until my pup was diagnosed with it. Thank you for bringing this to the attention of RTF and thanks to all participating in the study. I was just looking over your website and saw there were two cases reported in SC. I wonder if either of those was mine? We didn't confirm Pythiosis was the cause of my pup's death until we sent tissue samples to Clemson University for testing post humous, however, my vet diagnosed it before the test results came back.

#26 ·
Brian,

That must have been really hard on you. What a shame to lose one that young.

I don't think I included yours in my SC stats, but I am not in the office right now to check. I only included dogs sent in from the form on my website.

Hopefully, with such a large study of dogs who are most at risk of encountering this pathogen, we can better understand why some dogs succumb, and why some are resistant. By better understanding of how they are infected can come better insight into how to prevent and cure it.

Keep those samples coming in!!

Tammy

#27 · (Edited)
I had Rebel's blood pulled today while in the vet for a lameness issue as well...xrays of the leg from shoulder to toe are normal but my boy is on crate rest and previcox for a couple of weeks..we also ran tick profile just in case.

I have tried to call the 800 number but no answer. I am refrigerating the sample until Monday. Will try the number again before I mail. I just need find out if I should send the ice pack with the sample and whether it should be sent priority or overnight. There are not specific instructions regarding mailing in the information provided.

The challenging part was figuring out all the cities and states Rebel has been since campaigning. I wasn't for sure how to fill out the "how often" question. The choices are once/month; once/week/ and once/day. Like other HT/FT folks, in some cities you are in the area for a weekend or three-day event, and then not back in the area for six months until the next event. Then when in training with a pro, the dog may be in a consistent area daily for several months. Of course, in addition to the home area training grounds.

#28 ·
Blood handling instructions are:

Samples should be refrigerated from the time of collection until shipped, but should not be frozen. It is recommended to ship by Priority Mail with an ice pack if possible.

It is a challenge figuring out all of the places our dogs have been!! :p

Tammy

#29 ·
Bob Glass came to our club meeting this evening and drew blood on our dogs. They received 29 samples. Later he addressed the members with a slide presentation. The slide show was enough to get you thinking about testing and vaccinating against Pythiosis. Locally he tested 7 labs and 3 were positive carriers. A lot of times dogs can get Pythiosis and fight it off so you never realized they had it. Bob suggested that if your dog shows symptoms such as vomiting, watery diarrhea or diarrhea with blood which lasts more then 3 or 4 days you should get the dog(s) tested. Most vets are not aware of Pythiosis so you may have to have your vet contact Bob or LSU.
Tony

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.