RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

College Football 2013 GDG

338K views 2K replies 97 participants last post by  roseberry 
#1 · (Edited)
Well it's less than 2 weeks away so I will go ahead & start up The Official CFB Thread for 2013. Lots to talk about. Wait for it. Wait for it. The Over rated State University will play in The BCS NAT CHAMP. There. I said it. It's happening. Time to move on.

"Do your job. Do your job. Be a part. You do those things, we enjoy victory @ the end. As a team."

All the nonsense about counting LSU out this year will ultimately make them The Most under rated team this year. Mett will throw for 3,600-3,800 yards, 36 TDs, & 8 picks.

#437 ·
LSU/GA will definately be a good one. I haven't made up my mind yet but i think lsu will pull it out. It's just hard to have faith in GA for big time games.

After watching Alabama play saturday, it was apparant that a lack of motivation was present,but my goodness was it awful to watch, no 3rd down conversion until the 4thQ. On several occasions we had loss of yd on handoffs due to the back running to the wrong side of qb. Under 100yrds of rushing. Sheww it was ugly. I havn't seen bama not wanna be in a game so bad since the Sugar bowl vs Utah st yrs ago. They better get things together quick. I have a feeling no one is gonna have to get Ole miss up for Saturdays game.
On the flip side we did have some big time players sitting out and did play alot of second and third team player through out the game.

#438 ·
You are playing your ex OC, at home, and Nick Saban is the coach, and they couldn't get motivated? I think there may be other issues in Tuscalousa (missed spelled for the benifit of Rookie Trainer dude). D just doesnt look as fast as years before and the O line needs to get it together.

I hope we are both undefeated going into the game in Tuscalousa but I think one or both could have a loss going into that game.

#441 ·
You are playing your ex OC, at home, and Nick Saban is the coach, and they couldn't get motivated? I think there may be other issues in Tuscalousa (missed spelled for the benifit of Rookie Trainer dude). D just doesnt look as fast as years before and the O line needs to get it together.
So the motivation would have been to outscore, say, the U, ToSU and Free Shoes U and get up into the 60s or 70s for the sake of running it up on a cupcake? Otherwise, even in "playing your ex-OC at home," what would there be to get the No. 1 team fired up about Colorado State?

Got got no crimson-colored glasses on, either, when it comes to 'Bama's ease of schedule, there are more cupcakes on the 'Bama baking rack, but I'm also pretty happy for McElwain, the ex-OC, having his team hang in there against Alabama - because it really reflected a "little Alabama," which McElwain's explicitly trying to build, going toe-to-toe with the real thing.

Also, Saban only played about 46 defensive backs - for the experience - so I don't think he was terribly demoralized about the outcome, either. Every outcome has something positive in it for Saban, so long as you use it to keep playing and getting better all the way to the end. Think he's managed to do that pretty doggone well the last six years - especially three of the last four - and soon to be four of the five, unless you know more about those "other issues" in Tusca-not-used-to-losing (misspelled for emphasis) that might derail a three-peat.

MG

#440 ·
If LSU has a loss going to tuscaloser, it'll be @ the hands of Georgia. LSU OWNS STATE. The UF game just lost all appeal this past weekend. We play Ole Miss better @ Vaught Hemingway. It's really up to this weekend. Now upsets can happen & they could fall victim to a trap game here or there against one of the teams previously mentioned, but I don't think so as of today.

#442 ·
Once again I can never follow your post. He's playing all those DB trying to find something that works not to get them playing time. Keep on believing. 66 rushing yards against CO State! That could be one issue. Don't ya think?

Again Im not saying throw in the towel they are done. It's still Ala. with a very good team that "could" do it again. But if you don't see problems in SEC play with that OL, you need to take the crimson glasses off. And yes there is NO reason it should have took them until late in the 4th to put the game away. I bet St. Saban would dissagree with you about them not having any motivation to play that game.

#443 ·
Follow this: In Saban we trust. Anything else, I don't fret over, question, or try to find "motivation" for.

But. "Problems in SEC play" when 'Bama's got basically a one-game SEC schedule left (which would, basically, be against You Whos)?

Well, maybe a one-and-a-half game SEC schedule, but let's see how a rested and revived Ole Miss fares against them this week before declaring the LSU showdown dead ahead. Could be a good test, but whether 'Bama wins by one point or 41 won't matter, so long as they keep winning...and getting better. History would give you good odds on both under Saban.

MG

#444 · (Edited)
LSU does have one thing this season that it hasn't had in a few seasons, it's called the "forward pass". Add a quality RB and D and watch out! ;-) If we beat the Dawgs this weekend, I think they will run da table! Lovin' it as my two teams(NCAA & NFL) are undefeated so far!

#446 ·
Are they going to come up with a book of Mathews or Geathers?

More than one prominent NFL family regards,

#449 · (Edited)
Don't forget that Peyton and Archie have both been NFL League MVP's with Peyton winning it 4 times and well on his way to a 5th! Archie is a Sugar Bowl MVP and Eli a Cotton Bowl MVP. Peyton would have won the Heisman had the Vols beaten Florida his Senior year. I remember Jumpy Geathers, he was drafted by Bum Phillips when he coached the Saints. Then, he was shipped off to the Redskins after a couple of seasons.

#450 ·
I remember Jumpy Geathers, he was drafted by Bum Phillips when he coached the Saints. Then, he was shipped off to the Redskins after a couple of seasons.
Just going from memory, Jumpy and his brother Robert both played in the NFL with Jumpy having the better career by far. Jumpy's "forklift" move was something to see. Robert's sons Robert Jr. (UGA/Bengals), and Clifton (SC/can't remember NFL team), Kwame (UGA/can't remember which pro team - rookie) have all gone to the NFL. Robert Jr. in particular (of the 2nd generation) has had a long NFL career. I remember when he left UGA early I thought he was making a mistake. He only really started coming on strong at the end of his junior season and I thought he needed to stay for his senior season. He probably would have been drafted higher if he did, but he has had a very nice career. That is a bunch of Geathers' in the NFL but the degree of success the Mannings have achieved eclipses it easily IMO. Kwame Geathers had a really disappointing junior year (too heavy, out of shape, seemed to be coasting toward the NFL) at UGA but hopefully he'll have a nice NFL career. All of the younger Geathers boys have bolted early for the NFL. It was probably a mistake for Clifton, I'm not sure he is still in the NFL.

#453 ·
I don't exactly have the warm fuzzies about this one tomorrow. The only LSU game I have watched this season was the game against Auburn and I wasn't able to stay awake for the whole thing. The thing that concerns me the most is giving LSU cheap points. In almost every game we've lost in the last few seasons we've given our opponent cheap points (pick 6, fumble for TD, fumble deep in our own territory, blocked punt for TD, etc.). The SC game wouldn't have been so close if we didn't have a bad snap on a punt (deep in our territory) and a bad snap on a field goal attempt.

Murray is very streaky. If he comes out cold like he did vs Clemson, throwing the ball into the ground and throwing behind receivers it will be a tough day. He completed a lot of those vs. Clemson but there were no yards after the catch because receivers were having to fall down to catch the ball. If he comes out hot, it could be a very good day. LSU hasn't seen a back like Gurley this season and UGA hasn't seen a back like Hill (who would have been kicked off the team at Georgia) this season either. Given our propensity to give up a lot of rushing yards this is a major concern with Hill and Copeland. I think we may be better up the gut this season than last. We'll find out on Saturday for sure. On a positive note, Georgia struggles against running QB's and has not had many sacks this season but Mett isn't that kind of QB and IF (big IF) we can put some heat on him he may look more like the 2012 Mett instead of the 2013 Mett. Obviously he looks much improved under the new OC/QB guru. Will emotions get the best of Mett coming back to Athens? I don't know, but I'm not counting on it. I think his easy going personality may help keep him from getting wound up too tight for this one. I don't know what our young secondary can do with your top 2 receivers so I hope we can force you into 3rd & longs by stopping the run and then get pressure on Mett. Our OL has looked good at times this season and pretty poor at others. We've got to get some consistent play from them.

None of this is earth shattering info I know. It is still SEC football, the team that can run the ball and stop the run (i.e. control the LOS) and doesn't turn it over is going to win. Boring but true. By game time I will probably have myself convinced we will find a way to win but right now I don't feel so good about it. I really believed we would beat Clemson and we should have but we didn't. As good as Murray has been you just never know when he is going to throw a pick 6 or put it on the ground. Batted balls are always a concern too with his lack of height and those can turn into big turnovers as well.

#455 ·
This isn't Mississippi State. They haven't even played Georgia two years in a row. The last time they played us was in the SECC Game in 2011. The last time before that was 2008 or 2009 when the referee screwed us on the bullshit "celebration" penalty against AJ Green when he did absolutely nothing except catch a touchdown pass. LSU has beaten us the last 2 games for sure, but that was over the last 4 or 5 years.

#462 ·
lsu wins as road dog over dawgs by seven.
bama wins and does not cover....by three. bama's critics are not quieted......yet! the rebs freshman class show the country "class" at 3:30 est.

mett looks like john elway at stanford today.
murray looks like dan marino.
but mett wins! geaux tigers, go dawgs!:p

#475 ·
They seem to be making a habit of playing down to the competition... With the exception of the GA who just whipped them.

I will say the refs made a dumb call on the SC def. back when they called him for hitting a defenseless receiver with his head. The replays showed shoulder to shoulder hit... Yet it still cost the defense 15 yards... Makes no sense that they can't pick up the flags... Which they did later when the UCF boys did essentially the same thing... The hand wringers are going to ruin football... Both pro and college.

#467 ·
1:40 to go, LSU might drop out of top 10 if they hose this drive.
0 time outs, Ooh got sacked, 2nd n 17, 1st dn, got nowhere, 4th n10.........
pass....... nuttin, wow!
Maybe no national chance for Tigers either.
Bitten at the Dog Pound..

#476 ·
mettenberger and murray played great! the muggings they allowed the defensive backs to get away with on both sides were silly, even if the calls were consistent. pass interference is pass interference. a great game!

#479 ·
I was a nervous wreck last nite but the Aggies won. The second half was certainly different. Almost all running game. Be interested to see why. Rain, lack of defense?

#480 ·
The Georgia - LSU game was a GREAT game. What made it good was the EXECUTION of both offences. Congratulations to both teams.... On paper every play is supposed to work. Georgia just got a few more to work for them. Another thing the Zebra's let them play football......not tag. Glad I recorded it as I will watch it again. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.