RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Training while bitch is in heat

7K views 20 replies 17 participants last post by  Cedarswamp 
#1 ·
Okay so the question is is it wise to train while your dog is in it if it's on private land and no other dogs are around. I thought I read where it can make them a little more crazy than they already are.

#3 ·
Private land...are you on a secluded island? In the past whenever I had a bitch in heat I would see dogs in my yard that I had never seen before and I have always lived on private land.

Unless you train in the middle of a very large acreage I would be careful or you might end up with an unwanted pregnancy.

Lonnie Spann

#5 ·
Trained our two girls while in heat many times. One acted normal, the other a little nutty. We trained alone on our property where the only thing I would worry about was a coyote. We made sure never to train without their e-collar during that time just in case some dog showed up and they were tempted by it - but that never happened. If you are not lucky enough to have land isolated from people (dog owners), then keep her very close.

#7 ·
We train all the time in a group with male dogs when my girl is in heat. Great way to teach those boys to pay attention in training. We just make sure that we do not take her out of the truck when another male is out. Do you really think a pro will seperate the female in heat when training. She is on the truck with all the others and gets her time out just like they do.

#9 ·
ditto, have never understood all the fuss about bitches in heat at a test or trial. Have asked others if they think Farmer,Rorem,Lardy quit training them for a month while they are in season so the others won't have problems? Biggest excuse in the book why a dog didn't do what they should have, IMO.

#11 ·
Depends on the dog. Our dachshund went absolutely retarded whenever she was in heat and doing much of anything other than feeding her was painful. Some dogs don't change much though. If she responds well and you're not near other dogs I certainly wouldn't be holding off on training.

#14 ·
At a trial or hunt test a bitch is either coming in or going out of season. If they pass the tissue test with no bleeding then they are able to run. They can be swollen and still run. Since I own and train about 90% bitches I have always been the object of accusation . I have scratched a bitch going to the line that I noticed was in season. I train with mostly male dogs and their owners. Several have been bred numerous times.
I have been called as running one in season more then once. Checked on several occasions by the committee . All passed the tissue test. Finally got irate and told the committee to bring a Vet on the premise the next time they wanted to do a bitch check. One of my training partners has my bitch that is in season sit on a carpet and he takes the carpet home to train on and run his dog off of it. It's kinda like this sun in your dog's eyes, bird off a few feet from everyone other's fall, train coming through, car horn, airplane, gunner not sitting straight, Blackbird sings dog pops thinking it is a whistle, rabbit runs through test, water too cold, water too hot, fog, late in the day, etc etc etc. It's the luck of the draw run your damn dog!

#19 ·
I have been accused of running a dog in heat, because some "legend in their own mind trainer" had a male blow up at a test right behind me. Of course, it HAD to have been my dog, because she was the only bitch that ran before HIS dog, and HIS dog NEVER acts like that. EVER. I pulled out my cell phone, called my vet, put it on speaker and asked the Doc how many years ago it was that he spayed her? So much for that excuse. It would have been amusing had the whole episode not have been so freaking pathetic.

#20 ·
The same thing happened to my training partner at a trial I was at. The old legend and his wife were the same way as your. "Legend in his own mind trainer." Both were adamant that my training partner's bitch was in heat. Both his bitches had been spayed several years before. Some people are always looking for excuses for poor performances by their dogs.

#21 ·
Our bitches go on the truck, run first to teach males they have to work no matter what you smell and you hormones say. Depending on the bitch as to how hard...some so looae their minds. The ones that do get marks only, ones that don't act any different don't get treated any differently than normal.

Doesn't necessarily have to be a bitch in heat running...what do you think the male ahead of you smells like if he bred a bitch the night before or that morning before running?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.