RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

would you participate in NAHRA Senior tests after completing the GMHR Title if there

Nahra senior test poll

3K views 16 replies 14 participants last post by  The Snows 
#1 · (Edited)
For participants in NAHRA Senior tests only, please.

the question should read; would you participate in NAHRA Senior tests with your dog/dogs after completing the GMHR Title if there was no Invitational venue.

#2 ·
I voted yes.... training and participating in the hunt tests during the non-hunting season keeps my dog in in shape both physically and for training. As a side note for this question.. you only need an MHR to compete in the Invitational each year....

#3 ·
Paul,

I vote although have not run NAHRA for a number of years.

The lack of an opportunity to run the Invitational would not stop me from running a dog. I may not run as many since I wouldn't be trying to get X number of passes in Y months.

Tom

#5 ·
I've run all three flavors of hunt tests, as well as NFRA when it was around. All are fun, but I find NAHRA to be the most enjoyable. I like having the upland portion in every test - it sets NAHRA apart from the other vernues in terms of requiring a well rounded dog all year, not just on special ocassions. I'd run it even without an Invitational. But I love that there is an Invitational and that it doesn't come up with a whole new set of standards; it's usually a bit harder than a weekend test, but not exponentionally so. I think I've failed almost as many as I've passed over the years, but I've always enjoyed the experience and understood exactly why we didn't make it when that was the result. I never walked away feeling hosed.

#6 ·
NAHRA is Fun and They have Upland & Trail, The invitational was a blast, perhaps my favorite venue, if they used a real gun it would be ;)

#7 ·
I agree with you on the fun of NAHRA, I qualified for one Invitational just before I switched to AKC, but didn't go.

Re the real gun comment, I see your winking smiley face, so I don't know if you're serious, but I don't get the big deal about real guns. 99 times out of 100 I set my "real gun" down when I'm hunting and I have to handle my dog on a blind. I can guarantee my dog doesn't know the difference or even think about what kind of gun, fake or not, I am carrying when I handle him in a hunt test. I also think that lining your dog up on a mark by pointing the barrel over his head is a marking crutch and would blast my dog's ears out if I did that in real life, as if I could really hit a duck that way. Sorry, end of rant...

John

#10 ·
I would. My NAHRA Invitational ribbon means a lot to me, but honestly, it was never a goal. I never even pursued the GMHR. Running tests of any venue was just something fun to do with a dog that really enjoyed them. I wish at times that, with my first dog (now on my second), I hadn't taken things quite so seriously. She was sometimes blamed for what were really my shortcomings as a trainer.

I haven't run NAHRA with my current dog and I haven't even been too serious about finishing his MH, which we'll do this year. I've really enjoyed FTs-even though a 4th is our personal best. I would choose running trials over either the Master National or the NAHRA Invitational, but would enjoy running some Master and NAHRA Senior tests.
As time marches on, it's more about what I think my dog enjoys and I'd probably choose a great hunting trip for him over any week long test event. The only exception would be qualifying for any National FT event, but that isn't likely to happen.

M

#17 ·
Well you certainly have the next couple of years covered Tony .... PA this year, AK next year ....... LOL

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.