RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Classic Quotes from Judges during the scenario...

25K views 98 replies 71 participants last post by  Frank G 
#1 ·
So, every HT I go to I hear something new and memorable during the scenario. Here's a couple of new ones from this year so far...

Senior Judge - You cannot use the word "no." If you use the word no, you will be dropped for training and intimidation. We all know that the word "no" is equal to pushing the button on the transmitter and that is just not allowed.
Master Judge - If you shuffle backwards one more time your out. Your a FT'er and I know how FT'ers train. That shuffling is intimidation and you cannot do that.
Senior Judge - Yes your marks and land blind were excellent but your dog didn't take enough water on the shoreline blind. I know he was online, but you should have put him out in the water further.
Master Judge (Mine from this past weekend) - Ah hell, Cantrell is here, there goes the neighborhood...
/Paul

#2 ·
Gary joking around one time while there were a bunch of pro standing close with in listening range, loudly told another judge with less experience then him, "if it comes down to two dogs in the end and you don't know which way to go, always look to see if one is pro and the other am. and you just give it to the am. ofcourse." A few tail feather got ruffled with that comment.

G
#3 ·
Scenario: Open water blind, 28 dogs carry over from previous day, water level has fallen considerably from swimming to lunging and wind changed 180 degrees from downwind to directly in your face.
As I am trying to pick up my dog after no response to whistles after first 100 yards Judge says to me:
" I know, they cant hear the whistles after they get past those tulies"

#4 ·
At least one set of tailfeathers got ruffled when the Marshall stated to me, "The Judges said to tell you, if you asked, that your were dropped due to "lack of effort".

That prompted a little e-mail from me to both Judges.

Jerry

G
#5 ·
Another scenario:
Amateur Saturday morning: More experienced judge says to less experienced judge "The only thing wrong with our test is that the first bunch of dogs probably will have difficulty seeing the guns and birds because they will be looking directly into the sun, but dont worry, it will get better as the sun rises" And thats the test, line'em up!

#6 ·
No lie.
Had a MH judge tell and he was absolutely serious,
"We had to drop some dogs and I guess you're one of them."
When asked for clarification, he replied, "I don't have any thing else."
BTW, I shot flyers with him the day before.

G
#9 ·
A couple of years ago I had to walk out into the field and get my dog Midas, at a Master Hunt test. The judge had a few funny comments (now looking back) "I don't think that he is coming back, I blow the whistle one more time, the Judge laughs and says, "well try a few more toots" "Sorry bud the 35 whistles and the nine here's didn't do it maybe you ought to go ahead and go out and get him". As I m walking back in with dog in tow the judge says "Boy he sure is a good lookin fella". When I got back the Judge told me, don't worry about it, notice the crowd not a single soul is laughing because they know they could be next walking out there.

#10 ·
A few weeks back I heard an HRC Started judge 'splain..."You will be required to sit on the bucket for some of the test, and stand for some of it. We have a responsibility to teach handlers what to expect when they move up to the next level"...??????

Wonder how many "got hooked"? :roll:

UB

#11 ·
Best HT scenario by judge:
First series of the Master a handler ask the judges for the scenario and got: "3 birds were in the air,they got shot and hit the ground, you need to pick-um up".
I don't recall them asking for the 2nd series! :)

Tim

#12 ·
Land blind..........water blind by invitation

Poison bird and clear slot at the end of the blind marked by hay bails....

Line was under arc of poison bird which was about 50 yards deep and through hay bails........

Run the land blind....under arc......through bails.....decent blind.

No invition to water blind.

"May I ask why?"

" You didn't challenge the line."

" :roll: Ok, thank you."

:lol: :lol:

#15 ·
Gun_Dog2002 said:
So, every HT I go to I hear something new and memorable during the scenario. Here's a couple of new ones from this year so far...

Senior Judge - You cannot use the word "no." If you use the word no, you will be dropped for training and intimidation. We all know that the word "no" is equal to pushing the button on the transmitter and that is just not allowed.
Master Judge - If you shuffle backwards one more time your out. Your a FT'er and I know how FT'ers train. That shuffling is intimidation and you cannot do that.
Senior Judge - Yes your marks and land blind were excellent but your dog didn't take enough water on the shoreline blind. I know he was online, but you should have put him out in the water further.
Master Judge (Mine from this past weekend) - Ah hell, Cantrell is here, there goes the neighborhood...
/Paul
Oh I missed one from a senior judge...
Senior Judge - the akc recently separated marks from blinds and to pass my test you must average 5.5 on the blinds in order to pass...

/Paul

#20 ·
So.... AKC senior test, first series is land. My dog breaks on the honor. judges give working dog handler the option of staying on line or coming back in 3 dogs. Handler wants to stay put. Judges tell me to honor on lead. I sheepishly tell them I lost my piece of rope in the tall grass and have no lead. One of the judges says to me...............
"Just stand on her tail, I do it all the time when I run"
:shock: !!!!!

#21 ·
Tim Carrion said:
Best HT scenario by judge:
First series of the Master a handler ask the judges for the scenario and got: "3 birds were in the air,they got shot and hit the ground, you need to pick-um up".
I don't recall them asking for the 2nd series! :)

Tim
That sounds like something I would say. :lol: :lol: :lol:

#22 ·
AKC Senior Judge>>>
"That's not good enough to pass "Master" so it won't work here."

"You can't tell your dog "Fetch" any verbal commands while running blinds will be scored as intimidation."

"Stop talking to your dog...that's not allowed (while running land blind)"

#23 ·
mjh345 said:
I agree Brad B; however these stories are far & away the exception not the rule. Most judges do a good job and I appreciate their contribution to the sport.
Oh by far, I agree, most are good judges and I too appreciate their time. As any judge I've run under will tell you, I try and make it a point to thank them for giving up their weekend so we can play, no matter what the outcome was for my dog. I just hope I don't run across some of these quoted "less than informed" judges. !!

#24 ·
Brad is a very courteous handler.

I read these and just shake my head. I hear lots of these type stories....I sure hope I have never said anything like them. I have judged for a number of years and would like to turn this thread into a positive if I can get some help....

What have judges told you that was a good thing to hear....something that stuck....

...like I try to tell junior handlers that the most important thing they have to remember is to breath because they can't take a to hand delivery if they are passed out....

....dogs can't mark what they can't see....and I go to the trouble to makeing sure that my marks are visable from the dog's point of view - even though I am Old, you will often see me squatting or kneeling down to watch (and listen to) test marks.

...If you are enjoying this sport you should think about giving back by becoming a judge...We need more good judges. I hope that some of what I have done will serve as an example to those who take me up on it.

I have decided not to do as much judging as I have in the past, but when I read stuff like many of you have told about, I wonder if I have done enough to insure that this game is fun for all in the future.

#25 ·
My memory is about as long as my hair !! So I'm sure there were many positive comments I've heard, just can't remember them.

Anytime I get a encouraging or positive word from a judge, I take it as a great compliment. Those judges are often times way more experience than I and have seen WAY more dogs run than I have, so to have them tell me "you have a good dog there, just keep working with him". Or as one judge did recently, they offered to buy my dog, which was turned into somewhat of a joke, but I know that it's a compliment.

A simple word of encouragement or training tip at the line or after the test can sometimes make a handler feel better than any ribbon.

#26 ·
Lady Duck Hunter said:
Brad is a very courteous handler.

I read these and just shake my head. I hear lots of these type stories....I sure hope I have never said anything like them. I have judged for a number of years and would like to turn this thread into a positive if I can get some help....

What have judges told you that was a good thing to hear....something that stuck....

...like I try to tell junior handlers that the most important thing they have to remember is to breath because they can't take a to hand delivery if they are passed out....

....dogs can't mark what they can't see....and I go to the trouble to makeing sure that my marks are visable from the dog's point of view - even though I am Old, you will often see me squatting or kneeling down to watch (and listen to) test marks.

...If you are enjoying this sport you should think about giving back by becoming a judge...We need more good judges. I hope that some of what I have done will serve as an example to those who take me up on it.

I have decided not to do as much judging as I have in the past, but when I read stuff like many of you have told about, I wonder if I have done enough to insure that this game is fun for all in the future.
Vicki, you should know that you're one of my favorite judges. (And, I AM going to pass one under your old man one of these days!!!) This sport needs more like you. I recall you noting that sometimes when setting up a test, you'll turn your back to the marks to hear where the poppers sound like they're coming from. I've seen very few judges go to the trouble of repositioning their poppers.

I also recall you asking me once as I approached the line during one of my first Jr's "...Have you breathed lately?" and, "This is your time, so let us know when you're ready".

And, as I've told you before, I've always admired the way you'll treat an obvious first time Jr handler whose Fifi probably hasn't ever seen a duck and never picked the first mark. You'll have a bird boy or Marshall toss one for them, let them know that this sport can be fun, and that their dog CAN do the work! Running them off after 1 mark, no bird, $55.00 spent and a long disappoining ride home before 9:00 a.m. ain't going to help us all grow and enjoy this sport for long.

I'm thankful that some of you "Get it"!!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.