RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

dog ate one cookie with macadamia nuts

25K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  cj6530 
#1 ·
My kid fed my 63lb blm a cookie with some macadamia nuts. Damn evet said that they're not poisonous but aspca wesite says yes. Cant find amount of hydrogen peroxide to give or should i wait it out nd keep an eye on him?

#2 ·
I am not a vet, but IIRC from what I read during a holiday warning that the low end of the toxic range was 2.4 grams per kg of body weight. So unless the cookie had more than about 2 oz of nuts, it should be fine--watch for symptoms. Peroxide if you want to be safe.

#3 ·
hydrogen peroxide dose is 1-5 mL/kg...

induce vomiting if you think there were a enough macadamia nuts in the cookie to cause a toxicity (more than 1-2 grams/kg..your 63 pound dog is about 28.6 kg, so if you think there were more than 28-57 grams worth of macadamia nuts, and it has been within about 4 hours, start with 28 mL of hydrogen peroxide ...the high end of the dose for your dog is about 140 mL of hydrogen peroxide. If it has been more than a few hours, you may just have to let it run its course...you can also take the dog to the vet if you are concerned...if it was recent, they can give activated charcoal and monitor for GI signs, tremors, etc....according to the info I found....most dogs are normal within 48 hours without treatment....

http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/index.jsp?cfile=htm/bc/211105.htm

and ps...I am not a vet but just learned this in my small animal toxicology class...

good luck!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.